1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Too 'couple-y'?

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by Tech_Head_Rob, Aug 30, 2003.

1. Tech_Head_Rob

Tech_Head_Rob TRIBE Member

Hi kids!

Since you're all fashion gurus on this board... I thought I'd ask your guys advice.

I just bought a new pair of kicks and am very pleased with my purchase. They are brand new, black & grey suede Nike Dunks and they look hella fly. The only problem is... my girlfriend has a pair of Nike Dunks. They're her favorite shoes and she wears them a lot... hers are white & maroon though, so they aren't the EXACT same shoe (that would definitely be too couple-y). So here's the question...

Is owning the same type of shoe, and going out together with the same type of shoe on... too couple-y? If you saw us on the street would you be all 'ugh. get out of high school you losers'? Or would you notice?

hrmmmm...
    Rob

2. bucky

bucky TRIBE Member

the opposite... if someone said that i'd tell them they need to get out of high school.

now, if ya had on the same exact outfit and same exact sneakers, that'd be a bit different

3. Soundstream

Soundstream TRIBE Member

I had "couple-y" shoes, and I mean the EXACT same kind, with someone who I was not going out with. She always wanted us to have matchign outfits. We had several matching FCUK and Ralph Lauren shirts. Also, I was told I had to buy Energie jeans because that is what she wears.

What does this prove? Well if you think you are a loser for being "couple-y" while you are a couple, I guess I am even one rung lower on the ladder for dressing "couple-y" in a non couple relationship.

Cheers ... Ian :)

4. litespeed

litespeed Well-Known TRIBEr

I nmy deptartment at work we had this fucking broad and her boyfriend working with us... they used to wear matching jackets every day! now that's taking it too far!

5. mingster

mingster TRIBE Member

The real question here is "How do YOU feel about it?"

If you both wear your Dunks and realize that you feel silly-looking, than make your decision based on that. If you feel okay about it, think it's fun, or you simply might enjoy being "coupley" like that, then do it.

[obvious]Who cares what other people think about it.[/obvious]

6. Aphrodite

Aphrodite TRIBE Member

the real question is:

NIKE?

7. Aphrodite

Aphrodite TRIBE Member

as long as you both didn't plan on it. and they are different colours..

8. Tech_Head_Rob

Tech_Head_Rob TRIBE Member

i feel fine with it. that's why i bought 'em. i just hope she doesn't freak when i tell her (currently she is in Vancouver. coming home next week! hurray!)

and yeah, I used to be anti-Nike too... but then I realized all clothing/companies are all the same. So if I'm going to buy stuff I like, I shouldn't pick on Nike [ignorant asshole] (especially when they have such fucking dope kicks!) [/ignorant asshole]

9. R4V4G3D_SKU11S

R4V4G3D_SKU11S TRIBE Member

I don't think with shoes its lame.

As long as its not a full outfit or something like a jacket.

10. smilez

smilez TRIBE Member

[valley girl voice] definite fashion faux pas[\valley girl voice]

;)

I refuse to give my opinion on anything even remotely related to relationships:D

Melissa

11. xtollo

xtollo TRIBE Member

have you guys considered doing a matching dance sequence to accompany your purchase?

now that would be cute as fuck. :)

12. kerouacdude

kerouacdude TRIBE Member

it's ok as long as you wear the matching t-shirts: "I Like Blowing Bubbles" & "I'm Bubbles"

13. seeker

seeker TRIBE Member

ding ding ding! we HAVE a winner!

14. seeker

seeker TRIBE Member

basic & ev, I'm not seeing the significance of 'matching jackets'. what's the deal here? why no matching jackets?

(my wife and I have matching jackets -- nearly time to break 'em out, too)

15. litespeed

litespeed Well-Known TRIBEr

lol

16. feisty boy

feisty boy TRIBE Member

17. Booty Bits

Booty Bits TRIBE Member

lately i've been seeing couples comprised of:
    1 thugged out guy wearing a basketball jersey
    1 hoochie mama wearing the same jersey, but as a dress

this needs to stop.

18. seeker

seeker TRIBE Member

i've been mocked :(

19. ALEKSANDRA

ALEKSANDRA TRIBE Member

Yes I would notice... yes I would laugh... and yes it's too couple-y.

Why not post a pic of the shoes?

20. PolishPrincess

PolishPrincess TRIBE Member

who cares that u have the same shoes!
    its not like ur TRYING to be the same....
    you just both enjoy the same style of shoe..nothing wrong with that...but please no matching tshirts or jump suits!

21. OTIS

OTIS TRIBE Member

hmmm... you're both going to hell so what's the difference anyways?

22. R4V4G3D_SKU11S

R4V4G3D_SKU11S TRIBE Member

He asked our opininons. I think it looks lame.

Wear whatever the fuck you want though. For every person who digs a certain style there will be 10 that don't.

23. seeker

seeker TRIBE Member

24. geminigirl

geminigirl TRIBE Member

I don't think there is anything wrong wearing matching shoes. It's kinda cute and really it's no big deal. But the matching jackets I dunno...lol

25. seeker

seeker TRIBE Member

but they're *matching* *jackets*... i mean, come on... if trucker hats are phashunkool, how far off can *matching* *jackets* be?

to be fair, they don't quite match -- mine's slightly more weather-beaten than hers. oh, and the breast pocket on her's is on the opposite side of mine.

:p