• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

tony rohr @ 99

kaniz

TRIBE Member
Had a great time, but I was also dead on my feet. Numerous times during Tony Rohrs set I was soo tired that I wanted to leave/go home, but then he'd just get me up and dancing some more.

Left shortly after his set, got home, and slept till 2:30pm.

Venue didnt seem rammed to the tits - but still a very good turnout. Enough people to look busy, but still had enough room to dance around alot / move around and not need to keep shoving people

Hey to the tribers I met - and sorry if I seemed quiet/etc. I dont mean to be rude, I'm just socially awkward :) I have a hard time hearing what people say to me in clubs, and I stutter alot also, so I end up not saying that much.

Also really enjoyed Metalgocis PA quite a bit. Wish I had slept better the day before and had more energy to stay longer, but ahhwell.

All around, good party - really enjoyed it. I just wish the bathroom situation at Sud'99 wasnt so shitty :p

db

TRIBE Member
Excellent night -- music all around was top notch and there was a perfect number of people there -- as someone else said full, but plenty of room for dancing. Nice to see alot of familiar faces out too. Oh -- I definitely like how they flipped the room around as well. Great party guys! :)

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

patrick.dsp

TRIBE Member
it was a nice event. i had fun dancing to metalogics. i'd like to hear them on a system with bigger bass. met a bunch of new people and some older ones i havn't seen in a while and left a happy drunk. twas a fun night.

JK

TRIBE Promoter
wicked party_
Tony Rohr was fantastic... voodoo techno as only he does it. Although there were not as many off-time builds as the last time he was here (which had me going crazy)
I liked metalogics p.a. as well...
I think my drinking is getting a little out of hand lately

_nicely done tonemusic/ xanuradio

kaniz

TRIBE Member
How were the DJs after Rohr? I wanted to stay longer, but I was starting to see cross-eyed from being so tired (and no, I wasnt drinking, so it wasnt the booze making me see cross-eyed :p)

Chubbs

TRIBE Member
Tony Rohr was good, not great, I liked the music, and everything he was playing, but it wasn't making me want to dance at all. Maybe the whole voodoo techno thing just isnt my style...

As soon as Alex Trolskey(sp?) came on after Rohr, the energy level went straight through the roof! The hours from 4am untill 7(was that when it even closed? I didnt have a watch/phone on me) were just a blur of disgustingly good music, given'er on the dancefloor, and bathroom indulgence.

Yeb fucking destroyed after Alex and kept everything flowing nicely. Was it techno? Was it psy-trance? Fuck I don't know, but it did keep me moving, as well as the rest of the crowd that was glued there. I don't think ANYONE left from the point Yeb got on untill the very bitter end.

At like 7am or whenever it was windind down, the owners turned on the lights in an effort of dispersing the crowd, which was still prolly 100+ strong. Fortunatly, the lights didnt stob Yeb, who continued to pound out tune after tune to a fully lit, frenzied crowd. The music must have gone on for 15-20 mins with the lights fuly up by the time I left, dunno how much longer they gave at it, but it was quite the sight to see...

Pics to come later, once I get the proper USB cable.

kaniz

TRIBE Member
Damn me and my being 'responsible because of school' - sounds like I missed out on a good time after I left.

ahwell.

Chubbs

TRIBE Member
Couple random pics from the night. No lighting meant no shots.

Tony Rohr

Alex Trolskey

The mighty Yeb:

Lights went up but that stopped neither the DJ....

... nor the crowd.

kaniz

TRIBE Member
psy-heads tend to keep going, and going, and going, and going
and going
and going
and going
and going
going
going
going
going
going

:p

kaniz

TRIBE Member
*laugh* true true, and trust me - I wish I was there closing that one :)

But, just saying - psy-heads tend to have the most stamina in them for going, and going, and going.

I remeber at bigfoot - their stage was still rocking at around noon when I had packed up camp, loaded up the car and left. Mind you, I still would of been there with them if my ride hadnt left :)

But damn me and my being 'responsible' during the school year.

JuJuHound

TRIBE Member
Arrived just as Greg hit the decks.....dude has yet to dissapoint me...well done..keep it up Greg!!!!!!!! A nice warmup dat's fo'sure

I thought Metallogic was quite boring........no groove or diversity in the set, maybe dunno too much about them, but....

Really enjoyed Tony Rohr's set....he mixed it up a bit and had me and peeps dancin for the 2 hours or so.....

I think it was Alex Totsley....did this guy have techinicall difficulites or what...I look around and everyone has this dumb look on their face including myself....in the beginin was just weird sounds and no beat....beats came on and quickly back to just...well shite.....cleared out the room.

apparantly should of stuck around, cause apperantly the room was going off after....

not a big turn out, still busy for a few hours

Last edited:

maphi

TRIBE Member
Wow. What a disappointing night.... I guess the hype had been building for months, and the night just didn't deliver for me. I thought Metalogic was the most interesting act of the night, but that's probably because I didn't have the energy to stick it out until Yeb came on (he always kills it). Tony Rohr was more like Tony Meow for me. Boring, directionless, monotonous... He was way better at Boa last year. I left shortly after Tolstey went on so I don't really have an opinion of him. I think it was simply a problem of no effort put into decor or lighting for the people attending the party, and no one bothered to play any interesting music to really get down to. I tried for hours on end and all I ended up with was the 'Night At The Roxbury' head shake. Too bad because I was looking forward to this for months. Oh well.

kaniz

TRIBE Member
You know, I sort of liked the lack of anything fancy at the venue. The lacking of lights, just a dark room for some nice dark music. That being said, I will agree that I found metalogic sets to be more intersting than Rohrs, maybe this could just be attributed to the fact that his set was 100% new to me, while with Rohr, I've listented to alot of his sets and recgonize a good portion of the material.

Although, I did really ejoy Rohrs set, and didnt find it lacking. But, I did find the sound a bit lacking, or actually - a bit much, had me wishing I had remembered to bring earplugs.

maphi

TRIBE Member
kaniz said:
You know, I sort of liked the lack of anything fancy at the venue. The lacking of lights, just a dark room for some nice dark music.
Yeah I wasn't expecting it to be all crazy and done up like a blacklight party, but a few mood lights or some fabric hung up here & there really does a lot to make the venue feel new or different. I have been to 99 Sudbury a bunch of times, and expected it to be a bit different than usual (a la the Sumkidz party there 2 years ago) but there was no effort made to make this venue seem special this night. It felt like a warehouse rave-party from 1998 to me with just a video screen.

Also, the music wasn't horrible. It sounded good, but nothing made me want to dance at all. I tried and tried and tried. It was definitely something I would enjoy sitting around to at home, but it wasn't good party music in my opinion. To look at Rohr, you would have thought he was putting on the set of his life! Watching him was pretty entertaining I suppose because he sure looked like he thought he was the man!

enemy Ai

TRIBE Member
Due to unforeseen circumstances I could not attend this event :(...
My friend did go and he told me that Metalogic rocked that party !!!

enemy Ai

TRIBE Member
i really wanted to see Alex Tolstey..he is my favorite Dj.. =(
oh well i hope there will be more events like this in the future!! (with such quality line up)

any more pics or video clips from this event?

basilisk

TRIBE Member
I really don't know about this one. The lack of deco really hurt this event... I don't mean blacklights and shit either, but some effort would have been nice. I'd never been to the "legendary" sudbury 99 before, and now that I've been, I don't really understand the hype. It's a big warehouse room. So what?

Music-wise, not so much impressed me. Metalogic rocked the joint with a sick set of heavy tunes, but aside from that - hmm. I enjoyed Rohr's set intellectually, but he didn't get me moving, aside from that one cut that was features on Chronika Chapter Two. There wasn't a second of Alex T's set that seemed interesting for the time of night and so I was too tired and bored to stick around for Yeb's set, which I'm told (by the die-hards psy fans who did stick around) was a mere 20 minutes long.

Tell me if I'm crazy, but I would have changed the line-up to something like this:

Greg Gow
Alex T.
Tony Rohr
Metalogic
Yeb

Wouldn't that have worked out better?

Massive hype, no deco, questionable washroom setup, and the somewhat dull music made this one a disappointing event. I should qualify that however - it wasn't hugely disappointing by any means; just mildly so. I enjoyed the whole "dark warehouse" environment for a bit, and some of the music got me going, and I enjoyed taking pictures and talking with people... but it still didn't "go off". Oh and what's the deal with techno events being such sausage parties? Just gotta get out and wiggle your technosausage?

I'll check out another Tone sometime, but I hope they dump a bit more energy into it.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories