• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!
14K Cannabis seed slider pendants by tribe

Tofu

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member
What the jesus is with tofu? I've eaten my fair share of it over the years, and tried to cook it a hundred different ways but it always tastes like I'm eating a hunk of plain tasting blob no matter how I try to season it.

Please post your effective tofu recipies here.

(along with the expected hippie/patchoulli comments)

deevah

TRIBE Member
my fav summer tofu dish:

1 pkg of

1/3 cup of minced Szechuan pickled cabbage
(looks like
, comes in a can
or you can buy it in china town easy)
2 black eggs chopped

slice tofu into bite-sized cubes, place cabbage and eggs on top
sprinkle 1 tsp of sugar on top
drizzle w/ a light soy
drizzle w/ sesame oil

serve cold over rice or nuke in the microwave if you prefer hot

Flashy_McFlash

Well-Known TRIBEr
BH, I was once like you, until I discovered the super firm shit.

Marinate it like you would a steak, grill it up on the BBQ/Foreman, and you've got a completely unreasonable substitute for meat.

dyad

TRIBE Member
look for the smoked tofu (company is out of vancouver) its firmer than the super firm, slices like a smoked cheese and is great in a sandwich, fries up crispy almost like bacon.

ive only seen it in healthfood stores but its freaking awesome

Tribe 14K gold cannabis seed slider pendant and chain

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member
Unfortunately I'm not going to get most of this schmancy exotic stuff other than a plain hunk of tofu. Cucumbers are still new where I live. :)

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member
your mother's crack tastes like the tofu crumbs falling off my table and into the dirty cracks between the floor boards.

graham

Well-Known TRIBEr
my recipe is to order a bowl of miso, drink the soup and leave the tofu crap in the bottom of the bowl

Adam

TRIBE Member
Remember, you want to get as much of the water it comes packed in out before you cook with it. The more water you get out, the more flavour it can absorb from the surrounding liquids.

Also, it will only absorb a few millimeters deep into the tofu, so the smaller the pieces the better.

Cut the tofu block into a few pieces, wrap it with paper towels, and weigh it down with something heavy. I usually put a plate on top of it, and put a can of soup or something on the plate.

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member
ah okay, i think that's half my problem. I used to drain it and let it marinate in whatever, but as you said, it would never soak in more than a few mm.

I'll try the paper towel and chunks route.

Snapper

TRIBE Member
The best tofu I've had is honestly one of my favorites ever. It's stinky tofu, prepared either fried or steamed and I think you can only get it back East. I prefer the steamed over fried.

Hi i'm God

TRIBE Member
If you cook tofu by frying it with bacon would that help? I'd try tofu bacon other then that I don't eat the stuff so I have no recipies.

deevah

TRIBE Member
Snapper said:
The best tofu I've had is honestly one of my favorites ever. It's stinky tofu, prepared either fried or steamed and I think you can only get it back East. I prefer the steamed over fried.

yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

chooch

TRIBE Member
start by cooking up a ton of whatever vegtables you have. add in a bit of coconut milk, spices (like a touch of curry, and/or ginger, garlic..whatever spices you are in the mood for), a teaspoon of garlic chili sauce . cut thin slices of firm tofu and quick fry them in something like grapeseed oil, drain/pat off the excess oil and add some almonds it you'd like and pour it all over rice or noodles .

edit...my fave dessert is silken almond tofu straight outta the container.

Aerius Zension

TRIBE Member
Hi i'm God said:
If you cook tofu by frying it with bacon would that help? I'd try tofu bacon other then that I don't eat the stuff so I have no recipies.

Bacon grease hardens so the tofu wouldn't soak up anything for very long.

wayne bradbury

TRIBE Member
I found by far the tastiest tofu flavouring is jerk sauce. Get a Jerk chicken recipe make the marinade from scratch and use that for the tofu. No other marinades work as effectively.

I've also used Honey Garlic with Orange Zest and some chili's to be quite good as well.

Another thing you can do is mariande it in anything you want and just simmer the tofu in the marinade until it becomes like a glaze. Then fry it or BBQ or whatever.

chooch

TRIBE Member
Boss Hog said:
that sounds awesome, except for the garlic part.
do whatever you like and leave that stuff out. ;) the coconunt milk + hot sauce is what really gives it the taste.

..it is great last minute throw together since the tofu doesn't need the marinating that other receices call for.