• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Today is Earth Day

stir-fry

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by tommysmalls
don't forget to hug the frosty ground to remind her how much you love the life it gives over 6 billion people.
sorry i couldn't hear you.. the gas powered generator that i use to run my humidifier was running a little off-idle.

hehehe

PosTMOd

Well-Known TRIBEr
And, so, on this day, we should offer a little extra to the earth.

Here, earth, from me to you, a small present:

Subsonic Chronic

TRIBE Member
Earth day doesn't do crap.

It's nice to feel good about yourself and take that extra step to make sure that your pop can reaches the recycling bin and not just the garbage... but let's be serious.

SUV drivers aren't gonna leave their trucks in the garage and stop polluting the air. Corporations aren't going to stop dumping waste in our waterways.

I guess it's good for kids to learn about this stuff since the people in charge right now never did... maybe 50 years down the road there might be a bit more conscience about the current state of the environment.

On a brighter note however, the U.S. Senate threw out any plans by Bush to tear up the Arctic for oil. Definitely a major victory for environmentalists in North America.

http://news.independent.co.uk/world/americas/story.jsp?story=286636

Pete

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

PosTMOd

Well-Known TRIBEr
Originally posted by kyfe
Every day should be earth day....

Kyfe
Fuck that! One day out of 365 when I cut the garbage I produce to 5 kg, and the gases from my car down to 1500 litres is good enough.

My kids can take care of the mess... they'll have two whole days of the year or something craaaaazy like that.

PosTMOd

Well-Known TRIBEr
Hmmm...

For every litre of gas, the average car produces 1000 litres of CO2.... don't have figures for other emissions, but they are high too...

So, the average car gets 12L/100 km.... if you commute 50km to work, and 50km back, each day you are adding 12,000 litres of CO2 to the environment. (or, if you drive an SUV, double that)

Nice thought. Think about it when you're on the highway with all those thousands of cars, each of them giving their presents to the environment.

echootje

TRIBE Member
I've been pushing not-so-hard for my parents to get a solar-panel system on he house to supplement some of hte energy we use.

I think this year I'll do all the work all the research and come up with an uncontestable good argument why they should do it.

In the meantime I use the TTC much and will use my MTB a lot this year.

Rob

mingster

TRIBE Member
I support the use of hemp for all things possible.
I still can't understand why the US has banned it. Well, I understand, I just think it's really stupid. Cultivate hemp! Save trees! Fucktards.

Ming.

Cannabus

TRIBE Member
hmmm... I wonder what would happen if you sent a six-pack of Hemp beer to a friend in the states via fed-ex..would you get in shit? maybe throw in some hemp salad dressing also..and rope just to be on thhe safe side....

kyfe

TRIBE Member
hemp is a very good resource not only is it an alternative to cutting down trees it can also be used to fuel cars.

There was a guy in Alberta that invented a machine that converts wheat to paper... unfortunately no bank would give him the funding he needed to get it off the ground.... there are many other resources that will never become available because it would provide little revenue for business or provide quality competition which they fear.

Kyfe

jeffpayne

TRIBE Member
Subsonic Chronic;

Earth Day does do crap!

Right now my girlfriend is in the Don Valley planting trees with 80 people who normally wouldn't be doing that sort of thing. Those 80 people(kids mostly), I guarantee, are going to look at the Earth a little bit differently from this day forth. This is only one out of many events like this that are going on in the city today.

Earth Day may not affect you directly but if DOES affect hundreds of people in this city every year.

echootje

TRIBE Member
^^^

Hi Jeff Payne, you introduced yourself while I was flyering outside Turbo on Thursday? Well it was more like "Is anybody here on Tribe" but anyways, just saying 'ello :p

Rob

AdRiaN

TRIBE Member
CO2

So, the average car gets 12L/100 km.... if you commute 50km to work, and 50km back, each day you are adding 12,000 litres of CO2 to the environment. (or, if you drive an SUV, double that)
Yes, but what about the amount of CO2 being "eaten up" by trees and other plantlife? Canada is not a major NET producer of carbon dioxide.

Subsonic Chronic

TRIBE Member
Re: CO2

Originally posted by AdRiaN

Yes, but what about the amount of CO2 being "eaten up" by trees and other plantlife? Canada is not a major NET producer of carbon dioxide.
But our friends to the south are. We've got a lot of compensating that we have to do. ;)

Pete

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

quantumdj

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by echootje
I've been pushing not-so-hard for my parents to get a solar-panel system on he house to supplement some of hte energy we use.

I think this year I'll do all the work all the research and come up with an uncontestable good argument why they should do it.

In the meantime I use the TTC much and will use my MTB a lot this year.

Rob
good for you! :)

As soon as I get my own place, I will be investing in sustainable, renewable energy to cover all of my energy needs. I've researched it, and it looks very feasible.

Check out www.energyalternatives.com
They are a very good resource for getting started. I learned a lot from their site. They're Canadian, too!

Also, if you want to chat with some environmentalists about it, I found the message board at www.davidsuzuki.com to be very good.

Peace,
Dave
alphastate~