• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

To Do List In Toronto

Blysspluss

TRIBE Member
I'm escaping rural Sask life next week and visiting TO for some much needed action(by which I mean the sights, sounds...especially sounds).

Any places I must visit during the short time I'll be there? Not interested in Touristy stuff...more in the night spots I might not know about, brew pubs, places to cut a rug where the douchebaggery is at a minimum, good joints for breakfast...that sort of thing.

Far as I'm aware we'll be spending the time in the core, and Bloor West/Junction/High Park area. The west end is the best end, no?

Blysspluss

TRIBE Member
Nah. I'm just kiddin.

No need to make this about east vs west.

Just looking for things to do to sate my need for being out and about. (For another year or so).

acheron

TRIBE Member
East end need to get over themselves. West End is real. East end is a fantasyland for helicopter parents and people who think multiple beaches should be called "the beach".

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

acheron

TRIBE Member
but actually right downtown (neither east nor west) is full of awesomeness. More on the west side of downtown of course but I'm biased

Blysspluss

TRIBE Member
but actually right downtown (neither east nor west) is full of awesomeness.

Agreed. And other than visiting a few old watering holes in the West end in early evening, I imagine the night time will be the right time...for the core.

I just can't wait to make an arse of myself and dance until I fall down in exhaustion...and not be called a fag and other expletives by a drunken redneck randomly throughout the night.

Truly, that's what this visit is about for me...getting "the sillies" out.

MoFo

TRIBE Member
East end need to get over themselves. West End is real. East end is a fantasyland for helicopter parents and people who think multiple beaches should be called "the beach".
Well, if we're going that far east... Rob Ford lives in the west. We win.

JoshuaReid

TRIBE Member
West and east both have truly awesome things about them and also really awful things. MoFo, you seemed to have a good time in the west on Saturday night ;)

I think the better question is, where are YOU(Blysspuss) staying while you are here?

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

MoFo

TRIBE Member
West and east both have truly awesome things about them and also really awful things. MoFo, you seemed to have a good time in the west on Saturday night ;)
Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh... You'll blow my cover!

I know. I was a little west end rat on the weekend. I went to a rooftop BBQ in Little Jamaica, fucking took the bus down to Salvador Darling in Parkdale and then trekked up to MOJO at Dundas and Dovercourt. Like wtf. I haven't done that in years. I don't go west of Yonge if I don't have to. I don't hate the west end but I don't like it. It's like Will & Grace, terribly loud and thinks they're sooooooo cool. Parkdale is disgusting at night. The area around the Drake is all douchebags yelling homophobic things and lineups.

At least here we get our little clubs and there are lineups of about 3 people at the most. I'm gonna be going to WAYLA and Rasputin more for sure. Man, those places are hoppin' at night. And everyone is so friendly.

I do however like the Village still (friendly, safe, busy but not annoyingly so), sometimes the Annex (just some regular bars and hot college kid watching) and I don't mind some places on Ossington (but I know bartenders and stuff so I guess that's a bit of a bias because I don't have to line up and I get free drinks).

I've never been to the Junction post-"gentrification." Worked there for 5 years and all there was a Viet restaurant, one pub, a jail and a curry place.

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Delta on Gerrard. But we'll be mobile..TTC and the 'ole Black Cadillacs(er, feet).
Are you that hot bald guy with the muscles?
If so, I'll take you out.

Go have dinner at the Queen and Beaver. It's literally 2 minutes away. Upstairs is the pub, downstairs is the dining area.

I also don't mind Imperial Pub either if you're into college kids mixed with profs mixed with trash. Good wings.

Big Harv

TRIBE Member
In the junction - playa cabana cantina is a fun modern mexican place, great way to kickstart the night;

Gotta grab a supersonic cookie or a cupcake from Bunner's

The beet is a good spot for brunch.

Baby point (just north of BWV)Queen Margherita pizza at Jane and Annette - big room, high ceilings and delicious margherita pizzas

Barque on Roncy for BBQ.

Hopgood's Foodliner on Roncy is supposedly amazing east coast fare.

If you are willing to splurge, Sushi Kaji on the queensway is the best sushi spot in the city even though it's in a sketchier part of queensway.

For more affordable but delicious japanese fare - I also recommend Guu Izakaya (two locations - church and carlton and annex)

cosmosuave

TRIBE Member
Zero Gravity Circus for their Lunacy Cabaret Events are a good time... Great mix of people... Every second Saturday they do a show and this Sat is Headbangers and Glam Rockers theme... Was gonna go but my daughter bailed..

Lunacy Cabaret

Kensington Market is great to hang out on a sunny afternoon... Pizza at Via Mercanti followed by drinks on Ronnies Local patio...

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

lucky1

TRIBE Member
Maybe a bit touristy, but I like going to the distillery district for a beer at Mill Street brew pub, and then walking around taking pictures, we usually make it a stop on a bike ride though and then head down to cherry beach.

Maybe you could rent a bixi bike and see more then you can just on foot? The bikes are kind of clunky, but still... better then no bike!

I'm going to Playa Cabana on Saturday for dinner, heard good things about it. Then there is the Junction Brewery across the street (beers were pretty good, but a lot of alcohol in some of them so don't drive there.. hehe)

Big Harv

TRIBE Member
I'm going to Playa Cabana on Saturday for dinner, heard good things about it. Then there is the Junction Brewery across the street (beers were pretty good, but a lot of alcohol in some of them so don't drive there.. hehe)
short rib beef in crispy tacos are indulgent and the lobster tacos (not on menu but occasional special) are also perfect.

MissBlu

TRIBE Member
Maybe a bit touristy, but I like going to the distillery district for a beer at Mill Street brew pub, and then walking around taking pictures, we usually make it a stop on a bike ride though and then head down to cherry beach.

Maybe you could rent a bixi bike and see more then you can just on foot? The bikes are kind of clunky, but still... better then no bike!
or try the Mill Street Beer Hall, cuz i know a triber that works there, and we've got beer schnapes!

erika

TRIBE Member
So next week means you are here for the long week-end?

I will be happy to recommend douche-bag free places to dance, but what do you like to dance to?
There are some good parties happening next week-end.

Blysspluss

TRIBE Member
Yep, we are there from the 16th leaving the afternoon of the 19th. Monday we're heading farther east.

Was hoping for something techno...or minimal. I could most definitely go for a good dnb night too.

If nothing else, a good ole bit of house/tech-house will do in a pinch.

erika

TRIBE Member
NB. My recommendations will tend towards house, disco, funk more than D&B. Techno if there's something that appeals, and NEVER EVER tech-house. :)

Thursday is a good night for gallery hopping if you're into that. And some areas in the Queen/Ossington/Dundas quadrant are less filled with idiots than week-end nights.

Friday there's a good little party at Bambi's, which is at Dundas and Dovercourt, downstairs. Good spot. There's probably also something at Bunda, which is Dundas east of Ossington, and probably something at Garrison, which is in between.

Saturday there's an oddball japanese band at the Rivoli, a bunch of people at Wrongbar (Kitsune Club Night), a nice little jam at a Boxing Loft (more house focused, the guy plays at Sullivan Room in NYC), and a GREAT disco late night party (but that doesn't sound like your music).

So I won't tell you about events on the 19th.

I'm sure there's something techno-ish happening at Footwork, but to me it's become sort of like a mini-guv, so I don't tend to go there.

Last edited:

Blysspluss

TRIBE Member
Thanks! I do appreciate all the input.

The event at Bunda looks promising.

I like house well enough(even tech-house though it depends on the artist), and haven't heard ANY dnb in ages which is why I mentioned it. Wasn't really a go to genre when I lived in the city.

Every techno party I've been to in the city has been a blast, so I'm still sniffin' things out through every channel I can think of.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Ya, the POUDING CHÔMEUR at Papillion on the Parc is amazing. Best dessert ever. Not fancy, just scrum delish.