• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

To be or not to be - Acting Classes - Any recommendations

butter418

TRIBE Member
I want to take a beginners acting class. I am currently pondering taking one from Humber but I dunno if I should go down the route of public education. Maybe private studios are the way to go. Anyone have any experience or knowledge in this field.

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

MoFo

TRIBE Member
There's a school at Sherbourne and Richmond. I see young student actors hangin' around outside all the time.

There's also an improv workshop at Second City.

Michael Drury

TRIBE Member
If you give me you contact info I can have a vey good acting coach contact you. HE also teachs an amazing audition class.

You need to have some experience and there is a meet and greet usually to get accepted.

your call,
Michael

Beer babe

TRIBE Member
*bump*

I was thinking about doing an intro to acting class...anyone have any recommendations? I've been looking online and really have no idea what to go with. Would like something reputable and that would teach different acting styles.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Beer babe

TRIBE Member
*bump*

I was thinking about doing an intro to acting class...anyone have any recommendations? I've been looking online and really have no idea what to go with. Would like something reputable and that would teach different acting styles.

bump encore....any suggestions, pretty please?

Silvershadow

TRIBE Member
I don't think any "intro to acting" classes are going to go into anything as far as acting styles. If you're looking for something reputable and that teaches different styles, I don't think you're looking for an intro class.

I took the Acting I and II classes from George Brown a few years ago, and the first class was pretty much just improv games, exercises and whatnot for half of the semester, then working on delivering a monologue for the other half. The acting II class had people work on a scene in groups of 2 for most of the semester. I thought both classes were pretty good. They were taught by people who, I felt, knew what they were talking about.

I think if you take any intro class, it's going to be a more general approach of this kind. There's no point in learning different styles if you don't even know, for instance, how to cry in a scene, how to use props, or how to deliver a monologue, which is what you'd be doing at most auditions. Once you've got the basics down, then you can start learning the other stuff. If you're just looking at getting your feet wet and to start to get to know what you're doing, I don't think there's anything wrong with going the college route. It's not incredibly expensive when compared to some private classes (though I admit the prices of tuition there has gone up drastically since I took the classes in 2006 and 2007, so I don't know how it compares these days), and it's a good cheaper way to find out if you even want to get into that field.

Beer babe

TRIBE Member
That's a great point, Silvershadow, i hadn't really thought of it that way. Thanks for the help, i might try GB depending on the cost and timing.