1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

TMJ Sufferers and Teeth Grinders

Discussion in 'Health Forum' started by ila, Sep 7, 2010.

1. ila

ila TRIBE Member

Have any of you looked into getting Botox to treat your TMJ or teeth grinding? Mine is pretty excessive and I'm wearing away my molars and my gums are receding and shit. Even with my nightguard. Not good.

I want to try using Botox to paralyze my jaw muscles. Does anyone have any experience with this? It seems pretty real. I want to do it.

BOTOX® Alternative ? Jaw Tension and TMJ Relief

2. danielablau

danielablau TRIBE Promoter

If I were you I'd save the botox for your wrinkles.......you're gettin up there in age!

3. ila

ila TRIBE Member

Cha. You're way older than me.

4. agentRC4

agentRC4 TRIBE Member

I'd treat the underlying psychological condition contributing to your teeth grinding and clench jaw before I went for Botox.

5. ila

ila TRIBE Member

Oh for fuck's sake.

Thanks, tips.

6. agentRC4

agentRC4 TRIBE Member

It's actually a very good tip. The majority of TMJ suffers and teeth grinders often have some "issues" what every they may be, and require some sort of psychological intervention to fully address the problem, decrease stress and thus the teeth grinding.

Botox only last for 6-9 months so it would be a yearly regime
    Cost is expensive. Not sure if your use would be OHIP covered
    Its a band-aid fix and again doesn't address the root cause of the problem
    Its botulism in Botox = Fucked up nasty stuff

Why are you so stressed?

7. ila

ila TRIBE Member

My dentist touches me in my bathing suit spot. I think I need to talk to someone about it.

8. agentRC4

agentRC4 TRIBE Member

LOL

so I'm assuming you have done the less evasive measure already like learning to breathe properly, ensuring proper bio-mechanics of your neck etc...

I'd look for references from your doctor to talk to. See how they did and find out how many procedures the doctor has done specifically for your condition not just in general with Botox. and don't be afraid to ask them their success rate and what when wrong with the ones who weren't successful.

Best of luck.

9. ila

ila TRIBE Member

no, but for real. it's not stress. it's a bad habit I picked up as a young and I want to try botox.

10. ila

ila TRIBE Member

yah, I was just wondering if anyone here had it done by anyone they'd recommend so I could perhaps get a referral to them from my doctor/dentist.

11. alexd

alexd Administrator Staff Member

ila, try hypnotherapy. Since you are not conscious when the grinding is going on, hypnosis is ideal for behaviours that occur below your level of awareness.

There are some guys in the UK with a company called uncommon knowledge and they have a MP3 download for teeth grinding. Download it and put it on your ipod and listen to it for a few weeks with headphones while drifting off to sleep.

Stop Teeth Grinding (Bruxism) With Hypnosis | Self Hypnosis Downloads

12. ila

ila TRIBE Member

It's definitely worth a shot!

Thanks, AlexD!

13. WestsideWax

WestsideWax TRIBE Promoter

Careful, you might find yourself waking up in the morning with the insatiable urge to buy their $99 "Conversational German In 8 Weeks" kit...

14. diablo

diablo TRIBE Member

*backwards Satanic message*

15. ZsaZsa

ZsaZsa TRIBE Member

What mouth guard are you using? Have you been using one that you get from the dentist? I am a teeth grinder as well, but the guard I have works well. I chew through it once a year - but it protects my teeth from any damage. Id talk to your dentist and get one from them. Its covered by most health plans - but could set you back about $500 without it.

16. ila

ila TRIBE Member

Yah, of course it's from my dentist...lol. I'm not rolling up into bed with one I constructed out of used tractor tires or something. I've had yearly mouthguards (from the dentist) since I was 13.

17. sheik rock

sheik rock TRIBE Member

You can get softer ones that you mold yourself for $20 from Shoppers. I showed mine to my dentist and he told me it was the same prevention as the one he would make.

18. Big Cheese

Big Cheese TRIBE Member

yeah ditto. i bought two pair for like $700 all in from the dental rapist and they were suppose to last me about 3 years... zombie chewing lead to me continually spit the fuckers out while i sleep. no dice

in passing he mentioned these ones (from shoppers) and i was all... you taking a kickback or something?!?! why didn't you mention these bad boys before? much easier and cheaper rather then waiting like 2 months for the more expensive bastards to ship in from NY once your done chewing the christ out of the ones you have.

honestly, i gave up on prevention and am saving for a new set of teeth around 2040. fuck that. all polacks suffer from nubby teef and its just an eventual consideration since no matter what we're all fucked. proper fucked. nubby snaggle toof posse what!

19. ZsaZsa

ZsaZsa TRIBE Member

That pisses me off! Well - I guess the next one I get will be from Shoppers. I dont pay for them though, as my insurance covers it. I have to wear them, cuse if I dont, I'm going to bust up my new veneers I have in the front. Cost me 2200 bucks and even if I turn around and crack them, I have to pay it out again. Oh well....

20. Dirty Girl

Dirty Girl TRIBE Member

i know someone that gets botox shots in the back of her neck for migraines, she swears by them.
    not really the same thing, but if they work for her for that, then they might for you for this.

21. MOD ONE

MOD ONE TRIBE Member

Has their been any studies on this working?

I've seen people on Breakfast Television get botox and it looks painful. Why don't you just try it out and see if it works for you I guess. I still like the idea of trying to avoid the habit some way over botox, but everyone deals with things differently.

22. ravinjunkie

ravinjunkie TRIBE Member

So did it work ila?

23. acheron

acheron TRIBE Member

I think it's more stress related than anything ... comes and goes, too. My daughter used to do it but stopped about a year ago, both my wife and I have done it at times as well, but neither of us has done it for a long time, too.

We had a dentist who tried to get us on the mouthguards and he did suggest botox but this guy was all about the new treatments and extra stuff ALL THE TIME which was a big part of why we switched to a much more sensible dentist who doesn't try to upsell us constantly. fluoride treatments are as far as he goes.

Anyway. grinding = bullshit, just settle down, relax, deal with issues and stuff, it'll go away.

24. rubytuesday

rubytuesday TRIBE Member

Ooh I'm a grinder too, since I was a kid. I think overall jaw configuration can influence things too, I've had dentists ask if I've had my jaw injured in some way to help explain it but stress is clearly a factor. It gets better for me when I don't drink or take any medications, I can feel my jaw tightening when I do. I didn't start using a nightguard until I had health coverage in uni but it's made a huge difference in my teeth, teeth that were being worn down are now a lot better and the gums healed, but I still think botox would be cool.

25. Dirty Girl

Dirty Girl TRIBE Member

Ive thought of getting botox for my injured jaw, but now i cant afford it. Im sure it would work, at least for what I have, just numb the constant pain. im not sure it would stop you grinding your teeth tho.
    im still in the market for some heavy duty muscle relaxers. maybe something like that would work better for grinding.