• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Tips on Moving Cross Country

awwnaw

TRIBE Member
Am moving to Vancouver in the spring. Has anyone executed a cross country move and do you have any lessons learned/moving tips?

We have a one bedroom. Will do the usual in terms of unloading as much as we possibly can. Some things simply, are non negotiable and we will be taking with us 3 main large items: one king sized bed+mattress (I know), a sideboard and a credenza.

While I appreciate the tips of, "leave it all"...buy again when you get there...it's just not happening. Our bed was a steal and the two other main items are unique/special. Tips based on my outlined reality would be most appreciated!

So I've just asked for a couple quotes online and waiting to hear back... We'd like to avoid the uHaul/driving our own truck cross country. I've heard of this whole crate business but don't know how it works.

Advance thanks for any tips!

dstarr

TRIBE Member
I moved from TO to Vancouver a few years ago.

I used a moving company to ship things like my bed, dresser and some boxes and bags of clothes. Most moving companies have something like a min load of I think about 700 pounds or something, then you pay by pound from there.

The problem, I'd say is that moving industry can be shifty and that's why reputable companies charge more. I went with Prince moving because my bro used them go to NYC no problem but with me they lost a vintage coffee table and some of my stuff was damaged. Plus, the delivery guys didn't give a shit about service. When they bust stuff they pay by the weight, not value so my coffee table earned me a cheque for 40 bucks.

When I moved back, I sold everything and shipped clothes via Greyhound. It was cheap and worked for clothes and a few boxes.

zoo

TRIBE Member
Sell it all. I don't care if you don't want to hear it, it's true. I moved from Toronto to Edmonton and shipped $4000 of household goods, and two cars ($1000 each). Three years I moved back from Edmonton to Toronto and paid it all again.

That's $12,000 in moving expenses. I could've bought everything brand new and had money left in my pocket. Luckily my employer paid for a substantial amount of my moving costs.

zoo

TRIBE Member
Sell it all. I don't care if you don't want to hear it, it's true. I moved from Toronto to Edmonton and shipped $4000 of household goods, and two cars ($1000 each). Three years I moved back from Edmonton to Toronto and paid it all again.

That's $12,000 in moving expenses. I could've bought everything brand new and had money left in my pocket. Luckily my employer paid for a substantial amount of my moving costs.
Ran out of time, lost my edits:

Recommend: ALLIED

Avoid: United Van Lines

Expect a quote of a certain amount, and the final price tag to be different. But get an agent to do a visual inspection, and to give you a hard quote with a defined limit for pricing variance. My move from TO-->EDM cost me double what I was quoted, because I didn't have someone do an inspection. My EDM-->TO cost me less than the quote, because the quote was done more accurately. You will end up paying by weight, and the first 1000lbs will be priced twice the price as the second 1000lbs.

Jeffsus

TRIBE Member
Do you have a car? Kind of an important detail.

Shipping a car is expensive. Might as well drive it yourself.

I did this move, from Kitchener to Vancouver (and back).

If you're paying somebody to move your stuff, ie. uhaul is not an option, then really, what advice do you need. Pack your stuff, open your chequebook, take a cab from the airport to your hotel and then your new pad and wait. Quite painless.

If indeed you are driving your own car, then I would ship the large items, pack as much crap as you can into the car, and throw out the rest. It'll probably take 3.5 days to drive to Vancouver, though with two people you might be able to pull off in just 3 days.

For what it's worth, the drive through Canada is more scenic but more expensive and has higher elevations. If going through the US, do not take the northern route through Montana if you are driving in the winter.

-jM
A&D

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

sheik rock

TRIBE Member
If you have enough shit you can buy a portion of a shipping container. The shipping costs for your bed will probably be higher than the bed is worth.
I moved to Van from Toronto a few years ago and sold everything, shipped clothes and small items in some huge rubbermaid containers via Greyhound and bought new stuff from the Brick for next to nothing when I arrived.

awwnaw

TRIBE Member
Thanks guys this is helpful. Yes we'll be driving ourselves, and plan to take our time and go through the U.S. We won't be packing up the car with our valuables, just what we need. If our stuff arrives a week after we do, it will be no prob. Additionally we have no intention of moving back to Ontario. This is for good.

The bed+mattress was $5k. It's a year old. Worth more, but not like if I'd buy it again I would pay regular price. It's coming with. At $.50 per pound and say the whole deal is 500lbs -that's $250 to move it. (the first 500lbs is $450 and I'll assume the rest of my stuff will be this much) The quote I got seems reasonable. Insure what you want (which will be the bed) which now of course turns into double the price. They come and wrap up your crap, do the moving. Their estimate based on all I described was $750 + taxes. This seems preposterous as all of my things are not made of nylon or foam. Even doubling it doesn't seem that horrifying.

With regard to reputation, is it easy enough for me to ask them for references? I'm not hiring a nanny... Other places to check?

Again. Thanks so much. I really do appreciate everyone's different opinions.

dstarr

TRIBE Member
Thanks guys this is helpful. Yes we'll be driving ourselves, and plan to take our time and go through the U.S. We won't be packing up the car with our valuables, just what we need. If our stuff arrives a week after we do, it will be no prob. Additionally we have no intention of moving back to Ontario. This is for good.

The bed+mattress was $5k. It's a year old. Worth more, but not like if I'd buy it again I would pay regular price. It's coming with. At $.50 per pound and say the whole deal is 500lbs -that's $250 to move it. (the first 500lbs is $450 and I'll assume the rest of my stuff will be this much) The quote I got seems reasonable. Insure what you want (which will be the bed) which now of course turns into double the price. They come and wrap up your crap, do the moving. Their estimate based on all I described was $750 + taxes. This seems preposterous as all of my things are not made of nylon or foam. Even doubling it doesn't seem that horrifying.

With regard to reputation, is it easy enough for me to ask them for references? I'm not hiring a nanny... Other places to check?

Again. Thanks so much. I really do appreciate everyone's different opinions.
Is the insurance on the value of your bed or the weight of it?

What company is this?

awwnaw

TRIBE Member
^ I'm retarded. I read $.60 per pound as it cost me this much to insure it then coverage was an additional. I think it's $10/lb up to a value of $1000. In that case I think I'll insure the bed so at least some of it is covered and take my chances with the mattress. How badly could that be fucked up?

Based on what I described, most quotes are coming in similarly --$750 or so. So I'll double that, and additionally only go with someone who can come and assess then give me a quote as Zoo recommended. Seems the only way not to get fisted.

Spinsah

TRIBE Member
What about a uhaul trailer behind your vehicle?

What could go wrong as you take tight turns in mountains? NOTHING.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

xtcfreak

TRIBE Member
I am doing the same in the spring (hopefully), except I am going back to Ontario.

Does Vancouver ever f'ing suck ballz!

Jay

Dirty Girl

TRIBE Member
what you really need is some person driving a uhaul out there, and they have some extra room in it and then you could throw your stuff in there too.

or

why dont you just trade furniture with XTCFreak :p

jeffpayne

TRIBE Member
I moved twice with Capital Moving. from Toronto -> Calgary. Then Kelowna -> Toronto. Good company. Same deal. They wrap all your shit and pack it away. Usually takes about 10-14 days to get it to your new place. Here's the thing though. If you use them to move back (believe me that this is VERY possible even though you think you'll never return), or use them again to go somewhere else, you get a discount. Can't remember what it is though...maybe 10 or 15%. They're quick and professional in my experiences with them.

Also, never underestimate the weight of your junk.

Good luck moving to the land of broken dreams! :O

tribe magazine legacy photo exhibit

r6bikerchick

TRIBE Member
Get a job lined up at the other end that will pay all of your relo costs./end

Seriously, that's what I've done. And you asked about cross-country, but I'd like to point out you're really only going about half way (maybe two-thirds). Of course, all of the advice you've gotten is based on the same distance move and is totally valid - when you're moving that far, it doesn't really matter if it's Hali to Van or TO to Van. NFLD of course is a different question because if you're going to drive, you're taking a ferry ($$$$).

I moved from Halifax to Edmonton in 2004, but all it cost me was a plane ticket and the cost of an oversized suitcase - bf had an apartment in E-town and picked up a bunch of cheap Brick furniture. Moving back was even easier - I moved in with mommy home in Halifax.

I moved from Halifax to Calgary in 2005 (with 2.5 months of living out of a suitcase in TO). I took minimal stuff with me (a bed and a couch, so roughly the same weight as what you are taking). Shipped it with Atlas and they just used it to fill up a container, so the cost wasn't all that high. Took forever to get to Calgary though. Even my motorcycle went in the container as well, saving me the cost of shipping by rail. (Actually, I didn't pay for any of it - my employer did. See first sentence).

I moved from Calgary to St. John's in 2009 (again, on the company). I took some, but not all of my stuff. I was upsizing from a two-bedroom condo to a 2400 sq ft house, so it was a pain buying enough furniture to fill the house, especially given that prices are higher in NFLD (mainly due to tax). Think about whether you are moving to the same size place and whether it will be more costly to ship certain items or to buy new. Bike went in the container again, but car was shipped by rail (took FOREVER!!!).

My best advice is to take pictures of everything before it gets packed so you can clearly prove damage (be sure the date is on the pictures as well). Atlas paid based on replacement cost of a similar item, so that was pretty good.

Good luck! And never say never, you just don't know where you'll end up. I didn't picture living on the East Coast again...

thom100

TRIBE Member
I moved to Van from Toronto a few years ago and sold everything, shipped clothes and small items in some huge rubbermaid containers via Greyhound and bought new stuff from the Brick for next to nothing when I arrived.
I moved back to Vancouver from T.O a couple falls ago and this is what I did as well. Greyhound worked out nicely.

I am doing the same in the spring (hopefully), except I am going back to Ontario.

Does Vancouver ever f'ing suck ballz!

Jay
The transition to Vancouver life from Toronto life can be hard, and does take A LOT more scratching at the surface to find the fun, even with lowered expectations. But once you figure out the pace of the city and a good group of people there is good-times to be had, just maybe not in a flashy-big-city-lights kind of way.