• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Tips for livin in the Hammer.

freshest1

TRIBE Member
Okay, so I am starting a job in Hamilton on the 21st and I'm looking for a place ASAP. What are the dodgey areas that should be avoided? I would prefer to live near some decent restaurants and pubs, I have been told that a place near but not in Hess village (Locke st, I think) is nice, but there does not seem to be an abundance of places on craigslist that are in the area. Also any additional information about this city would be helpful.

Dr. Grinch

TRIBE Member
The Hammer is really safe for the most part. Some parts are just full of low class citizens, but overall it's not bad. The Mountain is mostly very nice. If you want a smoking deal on a freehold townhouse then Binbrook is about 10 minutes South of East Hamilton (straight up Centennial)
My GF lives up here and it's just new developments and country. Nice and quiet and an easy commute to downtown.
Locke St. is super nice btw, but you can pay pretty hefty money for a loft there.
PM me if you have any questions, I've lived out this way (Burlington area) my whole life and worked in the Hammer for 4 years at one point. Zoo lives out here too if I'm not mistaken.

zoo

TRIBE Member
i lived in hamilton for 7 years. everywhere by the university is nice, but it's very much a university crowd, so unless you want to mix it up at your 20 year old neighbours keg parties, i'd move closer to downtown.

the part of town i like is between hess and mcmaster. my old apartment was on the corner of king st + strathcona (between dundurn and locke), and it was awesome. living ON hess st is a bad idea because it's EXTREMELY noisy, but anywhere in the hess area is pretty good. there are TONS of multi-unit dwellings there (houses converted in to 3-4 apartments) and they are generally all well priced. summers at hess village are unbeatable, and the drive to toronto is only 35 minutes because you're literally right on the qew.

don't go on the mountain unless you want to buy a house in rundown, boring suburbs. don't go east of the downtown core if you're scared of low income areas, same with north by the lake, or all along barton st. if you're into the small town feel, try dundas, about 5 mins west of mcmaster.

there are also some nice new townhome communities around the golfcourse off dundurn/aberdeen/403 area.

zoo

TRIBE Member
btw there are other ex-hamiltonians on the board that might disagree with my opinion, and that's cool :p that's just my opinion. there are some bad areas in hamilton, but for the most part it's pretty safe.

edmonton reminds me of hamilton, only here it's a 3 hour drive to the "big city" (calgary), instead of 30 mins to toronto :|

freshest1

TRIBE Member
Bumbaclat said:
get a place in far east Hamilton (Toronto) and commute everyday.
I've already got a place there, I think commuting is crazy talk.

Dr. Grinch said:
If you want a smoking deal on a freehold townhouse then Binbrook is about 10 minutes South of East Hamilton (straight up Centennial)
My GF lives up here and it's just new developments and country. Nice and quiet and an easy commute to downtown.
Locke St. is super nice btw, but you can pay pretty hefty money for a loft there.
I am debating whether I should live on the east side. It would be convenient for work but I think I would feel isolated. The Eastgate mall doesn't seem like my kind of stomping grounds.

the part of town i like is between hess and mcmaster. my old apartment was on the corner of king st + strathcona (between dundurn and locke), and it was awesome. living ON hess st is a bad idea because it's EXTREMELY noisy, but anywhere in the hess area is pretty good. there are TONS of multi-unit dwellings there (houses converted in to 3-4 apartments) and they are generally all well priced. summers at hess village are unbeatable, and the drive to toronto is only 35 minutes because you're literally right on the qew.

don't go on the mountain unless you want to buy a house in rundown, boring suburbs. don't go east of the downtown core if you're scared of low income areas, same with north by the lake, or all along barton st. if you're into the small town feel, try dundas, about 5 mins west of mcmaster.
Thanks, lots of good info. So if I am looking for a place downtown I want to avoid most places on and north of Barton.

Dirty Girl

TRIBE Member
You Should Be So Grateful You Live In The Hammer, I Am Jealous Of You! Treasure Every Shitty Minute Of It And Take Note That It Could Be So Much Shitter Than It Is.

rudebwoy

TRIBE Member
dr. Grinch and Zoo have pretty much hit it on the head...west of john and south of main street is nice to live (durrand neighbourhood its called)...westdale, which is where i live, is great...i live far enough from Mac that there isn't a student ghetto near me, and i live right next to churchill park which is massive and tied into the dundas valley trails/RBG trail system...

what part of hamilton are you working? thinking of renting or buying? although you can drive from one end of the city to the next in 15 minutes...

c.

freshest1

TRIBE Member
what part of hamilton are you working? thinking of renting or buying? although you can drive from one end of the city to the next in 15 minutes...
work is by the Eastgate mall off of centennial parkway N. I'm not sure if I want to live out there, as it does not seem like there are too many amenities around. I am looking to rent for now. I am even considering shared accommodations so I can bank some money and buy something later. although, what I have noticed is that a lot of shared accommodations have more than one other person living in them which is not a very attractive lifestyle; I didn't mind it in my early 20s but now, not so much.

fuzzy

TRIBE Member
If you want to be want to check out some amazing natural areas, gimme a shout. Hamilton kicks ass for hiking, trail running, or mountain biking. And you will love it for Rollerblading as well.

Persephone

TRIBE Member
freshest1 said:
work is by the Eastgate mall off of centennial parkway N. I'm not sure if I want to live out there, as it does not seem like there are too many amenities around. I am looking to rent for now. I am even considering shared accommodations so I can bank some money and buy something later. although, what I have noticed is that a lot of shared accommodations have more than one other person living in them which is not a very attractive lifestyle; I didn't mind it in my early 20s but now, not so much.
I recommend the Durand neighbourhood. I recently purchased a condo there and I'm quite happy with my choice. The futher away from Main st. you go (ie south) the nicer it is, but you'll have to walk a fair bit to catch one of the main busses going east (the 1 king will take you right to eastgate I think). If you live in Durand you'll be close to Locke st., which has lots of little coffee houses, antique shops and boutiques. You'll also be close to James st. south, which has more boutiques, services (ie optometrists, doctors etc) and some pretty good restaurants. Hess village bars will be within walking distance but not close enough to disturb you. There are plans to build a new Shoppers Drug Mart, LCBO and a Hilton hotel in the area so things are on the move. If you have more specific questions about Hamilton feel free to PM me.

JayIsBored

TRIBE Member
freshest1 said:
I think commuting is crazy talk.

if you have a car it's not a crazy suggestion. you'd probably spend less time on the qew than a lot of people spend on the ttc in the morning.

Persephone

TRIBE Member
^ a few more points: you have a lot of rental options in the Durand neighbourhood. Older high rise apartment buildings are abundant, but if you go closer to the mountain (south, away from main st.) there are massive old homes that have been converted to some beautiful apartments. In that area you're close to the chedoke trail, great for biking/running.

freshest1

TRIBE Member
fuzzy said:
If you want to be want to check out some amazing natural areas, gimme a shout. Hamilton kicks ass for hiking, trail running, or mountain biking. And you will love it for Rollerblading as well.
Thanks, I do enjoy mountain biking, if you want someone to ride with I'm always down.

freshest1

TRIBE Member
JayIsBored said:
if you have a car it's not a crazy suggestion. you'd probably spend less time on the qew than a lot of people spend on the ttc in the morning.
true, but I want avoid putting 35,000kms annually on my car commuting, plus the mileage do to the nature of my work. Not to mention, the cost of gas and the nearly 500hrs annually that would wasted on the QEW. I like Toronto, but I am content with visiting when I feel the urge.

freshest1

TRIBE Member
Persephone said:
I recommend the Durand neighbourhood. I recently purchased a condo there and I'm quite happy with my choice. The futher away from Main st. you go (ie south) the nicer it is, but you'll have to walk a fair bit to catch one of the main busses going east (the 1 king will take you right to eastgate I think). If you live in Durand you'll be close to Locke st., which has lots of little coffee houses, antique shops and boutiques. You'll also be close to James st. south, which has more boutiques, services (ie optometrists, doctors etc) and some pretty good restaurants. Hess village bars will be within walking distance but not close enough to disturb you. There are plans to build a new Shoppers Drug Mart, LCBO and a Hilton hotel in the area so things are on the move. If you have more specific questions about Hamilton feel free to PM me.
Thanks, I'm going to check this out.

pseudonoise

TRIBE Member
I would recomend Locke street. It's in the same neighbourhood that everyone is recomending and it has a great feel to it. Plus there's lots of new stuff going in there.. Starbucks, ect. Also there are several things nearby: running track, tennis courts, Hess Village, Fortinos etc.

freshest1

TRIBE Member
pseudonoise said:
I would recomend Locke street. It's in the same neighbourhood that everyone is recomending and it has a great feel to it. Plus there's lots of new stuff going in there.. Starbucks, ect. Also there are several things nearby: running track, tennis courts, Hess Village, Fortinos etc.
what is this place, I have seen it mentioned in a bunch of rental ads.

zoo

TRIBE Member
ForGinos is a grocery store, with very prominent locations in East Brampton and Woodbridge.

The Fortinos that they're mentioning in the ads is probably the one at Dundurn & Main/King. Same area has a Pizza Pizza, KFC, Blockbuster, McD's, Tim Horton's, Taco Bell, Subway, and a 5 minute walk from that intersection is the Beer Store / LCBO (not open late!).

Last edited: