• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Tips for installing window A/C units?

scott

TRIBE Member
Just bought a cheapo A/C unit from Canadian Tire for $134.99 but I'm having some trouble installing it. Most apartment buildings have windows that open horizontally, like mine, and unfortunately there's no "spacer" to cover the gap above the unit, only ones that expand sideways. Any recommendations for making this thing stay put as well as sealing the gap above the unit? I've seen a lot of people use a piece of plywood though it doesn't seem too efficient/safe.

I miss my central A/C:(

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

ian

TRIBE Member
In the past I've used a drill and predrilled holes for securing the plywood with screws to the window frame and the AC unit itself. Very safe. Then I have sealed it with spray foam. It isn't pretty, but hey, neither is an AC unit.

Nothing a curtain doesn't cover!

123fakest

TRIBE Member
Secure it horizontally using the spacers and use some blocks of wood on the outside windowsill to keep it from falling out.

You can buy plexiglass at most home building stores like RONA if plywood isn't your style. You can also use insulating foam window strips to fill in the gaps.

A secure/efficient seal is next to impossible with those things...

scott

TRIBE Member
Not sure if the owner of my buidling will be too thrilled about me drilling into the window frame.

scott

TRIBE Member
So I should be using the horizontal spacers to secure it even though I can just close the window on it instead?

Anyone want to come install it for me? There's a case of beer in it for you!

PS - Yes, I'm that lazy. (see: incompetent)

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

[- FuNKtiOn -]

TRIBE Member
get 2 large pieces of cardboard, and cut them the size of the gap in the window.
staple/tape the pieces together, and put a garbage bag around it and tape all tape all the loose edges of the garbage bag back to the main plastic covered cardboard creation you've just made.
fit into window, using more duct tape all the way around the window and plastic bag so there is zero cracks for air to escape. you have to do this from both sides (inside the house and outside) otherwise if you just do one side the rain and wind will push cracks in between the window frame and tape over the coming weeks.

so I suppose if you don't have a balcony/fire escape/patio or dont live on the ground floor you're screwed, but this method I have used for years because the garbage bag and duct tape are very weather resistant and seem to keep things rather insolated.
I suppose depending on where you live you might want something a bit more secure than this.
although if you've put many many small strips of duct tape instead of really long one it will at least be a pain in the ass for anyone to even bother trying to break through it.

tommysmalls

TRIBE Member
1. put brick (or 2) on outside sill
2. put ac into window resting on brick(s)
3. seal perimeter with wood/cardboard/other material
4. plug in ac
5. turn on ac

Bass-Invader

TRIBE Member
yeah, from what i've seen people generally make their own ad hoc spacers out of plywood and whatever fasteners they are allowed to use.

The Kid

TRIBE Member
tommysmalls said:
4. plug in ac
5. turn on ac

LOL!

Yes guy.

scott

TRIBE Member
I_bRAD said:
what are you, red green?

Worse.

I'm on the 5th floor so unfortunately the bag/duct tape method will not work.

Looks like I'm going to Home Depot to talk to someone there, prefacing it by stating that I'm a moron and don't know what I'm doing....and see where that takes me.

litespeed

Well-Known TRIBEr
you know they also make window units that are made for windows like yours.. of course they charge more for them though.

swenard

TRIBE Member
ev said:
you know they also make window units that are made for windows like yours.. of course they charge more for them though.

PFFFFTTT

It's nothing a little duct tape, tinfoil, plywood and cardboard won't fix!

ian

TRIBE Member
scott said:
Worse.

I'm on the 5th floor so unfortunately the bag/duct tape method will not work.

Looks like I'm going to Home Depot to talk to someone there, prefacing it by stating that I'm a moron and don't know what I'm doing....and see where that takes me.

Just drill and secure the plywood (or pexiglass - I like that idea, although it won't be as strong. . . you will likely need rubber washers so the pexi doesn't crack if you use pexiglass) properly. The landlord will never notice and you can always plus the holes with some poly filla and paint over them later. No big whoop and much safer then anything listed so far.

cosmiK-Cat

TRIBE Member
lollers at all the boys in here.

I have a drill, you gots the beer, I'm considering it..but yeah- you really should get one to fit, if your not allowed to drill holes in the wall.

On second thought- call your super/owner and confer with them on what they'd like to do.
-J

Snuffalupagus

TRIBE Member
tommysmalls said:
4. plug in ac
5. turn on ac

Listen to this guy. He has the architectural engineering accreditations.

[- FuNKtiOn -]

TRIBE Member
I_bRAD said:
what are you, red green?
no, just crafty.
if you get black duct tape it even matches the color of the garbage bag around the cardboard so its not a complete eye sore, and it seems to be a lot more air tight than a poorly placed wooden board.
plus I dont own many tools, nor have much interest in putting holes in my window frames.