1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Timmy Regisford vs Carl Craig - the reviews!

Discussion in 'Event Reviews' started by erika, Oct 11, 2010.

1. erika

erika TRIBE Member

I ended up going to Revival
    Started out in the downstairs room, where Dale warmed up the crowd nicely
    And there is that great bartender chickie who is insanely "ON" and focused and fast - too fun!

Wandered upstairs as someone was in the last stages of their set. Not sure who it was, but it was fun.
    The room was not very busy; combination of options around and people away for the week-end I think.

Timmy came on and was mostly lots of fun. Sometimes a bit too gallopey, and no, Mr Regisford, taking your shirt off does not automatically make the music "hot" and "wow".

So was it a good time and worth it? Yes. Would I make a point of seeing him again? Not necessarily.

2. WestsideWax

WestsideWax TRIBE Promoter

Carl Craig should have left his sunglasses at home and packed some decent music and programming instead.

3. erika

erika TRIBE Member

ohlala! Such a picture painted in one concise sentence...

4. mrtunes

mrtunes TRIBE Member

i ended up at carl craig, but just for a short visit.

i was surprised to see the room was almost half empty. the music that i heard was passable, but i'm also not the best critic because i had been drinking since early on in the day.

i was quite surprised about the turnout though, but it's also understandable since many people have big dinners that night or are out of town.

5. Aser

Aser TRIBE Member

carl craig came on at about 1:20, it was so so at first but by 2:30 he was "ON". Glad it was on Footwork's system because I don't think his set would translate well in most Toronto clubs due to shoddy systems (cough cough revival).

6. kyfe

kyfe TRIBE Member

That's Jen and she is awesome, possibly the best current tender I've seen in the city

7. tobywan

tobywan TRIBE Member

might i throw in jeff button playin' it slow n' sleazy @ ourhouse, that's a nice little spot.

8. erika

erika TRIBE Member

^
    haha I like that; I think we should have a "good parties you went to or stumbled upon this week-end" thread

9. WestsideWax

WestsideWax TRIBE Promoter

Whether it was due to Craig's e.q.ing or the club itself, I actually found the sound quality to be sub-par. There was no punch to the bass (when it was present - seemed to be conspicuously absent for long periods early on in the night) and everything else just sounded flat. It wasn't horrible by any means, just lacking - I've been there on nights when the system's been pushed properly and Saturday wasn't anywhere near close to that.

Appreciate kross-over for extending reduced gl, but by and large, the night was a big letdown.

10. octo

octo TRIBE Member

i didn't go out on sunday, but that bartender at revival is awesome.

11. tobywan

tobywan TRIBE Member

Well it wasn't by accident, and if anything killed two birds with one stone. Got to enjoy some of that midtempo groove that jeff does so well at, and checked out ourhouse for the first time.

I like that space, though it'd be nice to move a few of those tables and chairs out of the way a little later in the night to allow for some traffic flow.

12. erika

erika TRIBE Member

^
    I bet they have to have them there to comply with some kind of licensing thing; the way Nav had to add some in at Wrongbar...

13. BeatsUntdRadio

BeatsUntdRadio New Member

I must agree with Octo that bartender is the best on the College St Strip (IMO)

14. diablo

diablo TRIBE Member

I didn't even know that Regisford was in town!

15. Big Boss

Big Boss TRIBE Promoter

Seeing Regisford in a short set didn't do it for me, he looks like a guy that needs a few hours to warm up. His levels were way too high for me though, my ears were killing!

16. Aser

Aser TRIBE Member

I think that's just Carl's style, he would cut out the eq's for long stretches, talking about 2-3 mins of the song.