1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Time for all you iPhone users...

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by erika, Aug 19, 2010.

1. erika

erika TRIBE Member

To start to question the real cost of your toys

BBC News - Ninth worker death at Taiwan iPhone firm Foxconn

Apple may preach that it's all environmentally friendly and all that, but if the company that supplies a lot of their components has an insane suicide rate because the workers there are so miserable, that's not too good...

I think this is about to reach the tipping point that some of the apparel industry (cf Nike several years ago) reached.

The clip I saw on BBC World news tonight was pretty chilling :(

2. TaCk OnE?

TaCk OnE? TRIBE Member

I highly doubt this is an apple specific issue. I'm sure if we really questioned the production of most of the consumer goods we all covet so much we'd be really disturbed by the realities of how they come to find themselves on our shelves.

reality is that often people have no idea what conditions things are made in overseas, and if they did, the cost of ethics is a deterrent that keeps people toiling in awful conditions to get us the things we all love.

3. Snuffy

Snuffy TRIBE Member

They have nearly a million employees in that firm. Canada's national suicide rate is way higher:

WHO: Suicide rates

...and Russia has it even worse.

4. technowelt

technowelt TRIBE Member

Foxconn makes components for a bunch of the major computer manufacturers, not just Apple - Dell and HP use their components for example.

5. oddmyth

oddmyth TRIBE Member

Aside from ther points made above, employees are reported to be some of the highest paid factory workers in China.

The only reason this is even a news story is because the some of the worlds top manufacturers use foxxconn

6. stargurl*

stargurl* TRIBE Member

Should the French also stop making telephone calls/using ADSL/etc. because of the dozens France Télécom employees who have committed suicide? Yes, it's tragic, but even within France Télécom, the suicide rate of employees is only slightly higher than in the general population.

7. Maui

Maui TRIBE Member

Nobody cares Erika.

You think slavery was abolished? No it was just moved to other countries. That's the only reason anyone can even afford an ipod or most other shit that allows us to live a lavish lifestyle.

From right here in Canada where they ship in tens of thousands of Mexican's to work on the farms in Southwestern Ontario. To India, Asia, South America, Africa.

I try to support human rights when purchasing goods but it's really impossible to even do such a thing completely. I mostly buy second hand stuff only now so I'm not giving my money to corporations. Even electronic stuff, my last hard drive, computer, digital camera, stereo. I use em till they die.

American Apparel is about to file for Bankruptcy, what does that tell you...

8. PAUZE

PAUZE TRIBE Promoter

This person's depression isn't necessarily caused by their workplace. Could be a million factors. Maybe he caught his wife banging the poolboy?

Last edited: Aug 20, 2010
  9. skin deep

skin deep TRIBE Member

PAUZE and Snuffy need to stop being reasonable, we should clearly be outraged at iPhone users for what is going on at foxconn. Each time I see an iPhone user from now on I'm going to ask them what it's like to be a supporter of a company that promotes the suicides of it's workers and forces them to kill themselves if they aren't performing to a certain standard.

10. Hi i'm God

Hi i'm God TRIBE Member

Fuck that. Foxconn doesn't make just Iphones and those people are going to off themselves no matter what factory they are working in.

Blame China's lack of mental health programs and low wages.

11. kyfe

kyfe TRIBE Member

MAui, FYI slavery never paid. people have choice to work there or not so lets not hype this up using words like slavery.

As for the farms those workers for the majority come from south america, from places like Columbia, Peru etc. (The mexicans work in Cali) they tend to have someone here that they can stay with and they make more money than they would make in their homeland. When they go back they are pretty well set for the remainer of the year, I have friends who's families would rent out rooms to people from their home countries while they came up here to work. This is a very common practice and something they again choose to do.

Slavery was never about choice be it Indians brought to the carribean or Africans brought to the USA etc. These guys have a choice and they choose to better their lives, this is really no different than my family where some of my relatives go from Nova Scotia to Alberta to work. They are not slaves and they make a killing compared to what they would get based on their skillset out east.

As for the issue of the suicides this is old news and given the size of their workforce I'd find it difficult to blame the employer. As for the conditions as some have already said they are better than 99% of the factories in China.

12. rawd

rawd TRIBE Member

4' high electric rooftop fences. Problem solved

13. Eclectic

Eclectic TRIBE Member

I thought my iPhone 4 screen had a bit of a red tinge to it....

Now I know.

14. Lil'Timmy

Lil'Timmy TRIBE Promoter

Better take off at least 60% of the clothing you wear too.

15. skin deep

skin deep TRIBE Member

Nothing like making people who feel desperate and trapped feel even more desperate and trapped!

16. Balzz

Balzz TRIBE Member

I kill kittens every morning anyway.

17. PAUZE

PAUZE TRIBE Promoter

After the first batch of suicides Steve Jobs gave them a raise didn't he?

18. Lil'Timmy

Lil'Timmy TRIBE Promoter

That's the spirit, Give em the old Darwin two step.

19. derek

derek TRIBE Member

deduct transportation and logistical costs, and it's more like 80%.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2010
  20. Isosceles_CAT

Isosceles_CAT TRIBE Promoter

Anyone like diamonds?

21. erika

erika TRIBE Member

This made me giggle I must admit.

And of course I know it's not just apple components, but it made for a catchy title didn't it?

There is a fairly significant difference between the "official" working conditions in China and the actual ones. My cousin spends a lot of time for work and research; she's had the opportunity to have the official tours and then the behind the scenes forbidden one.

So for example she was told that shifts in this particular factory were 8 hours each, and shown the great dorms that people had to spend their down time.
    Someone took her back later to show her that in fact they share the bed; so that it is a shift to work, a shift to sleep, then you're booted out of there until your work shift comes up again.

Not to mention all those who were penalized when the earthquake prevented them from getting back to work on time after their 1 week or so annual leave: they were told they had to work for free to make up the time or lose their job.

And I'm probably as complacent/complicit as anyone (though I would like to think a bit less - debatable) but once in a while it just really gets to me.

22. Wiseman

Wiseman TRIBE Member

But do you at least see that the suicide rates are actually nothing out of the ordinary? That they are actually lower than most countries including Canada?

23. erika

erika TRIBE Member

Well, there is that thing called reporting also; you know how any death/crime rate is dependent on how much it's reported. This particular set of suicides came to light because of protests by the families of the people.
    I have no clue how open their reporting is; based on other things, it might not be so much.

As a completely unrelated aside, the very first Canadian I ever met was in Bali a long time ago - he was in the room next to mine at the guesthouse. We said hi, and he said "my name is xxx [don't remember now] - I'm from MooseJaw Saskatchewan - we have the highest suicide rate in Canada".
    Nice intro!

24. derek

derek TRIBE Member

i'd kill myself if i live in moose jaw as well.

25. glych t.anomaly

glych t.anomaly TRIBE Member

Foxconn Employees were apparently commiting suicide because the payout their families got was that of them working a decade for or longer.

after 12 - 13 deaths, they were in the midst of shutting down there 400 000 labor force in china and moving the operation to Korea, but it looks like that is changing as they just decided to build a new facility, closer to many of the workers homes, and are renegotiating wages, they hope to by next year, employ another 800 000 to 1 000 000 workers in the next year.

ill try and find the article.

still a sad state of affairs, that they considered working 10 years the worse option, and chose to kill themselves.

and i believe the payout no longer applies to suicide for FOXCONN employes.

[jai]