• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

TIFF - if anyone on this board still goes

erika

TRIBE Member
I picked up 20 tickets this year; these are my picks - a couple of Masters, mostly Ppecial Presentations and Contemporary World Cinema, a Discovery or two (no Midnight Madness):

VALLEY, THE Thu 2014-09-04 5:00 PM
GRUMP, THE Thu 2014-09-04 8:30 PM
LIFE IN A FISHBOWL Fri 2014-09-05 9:30 PM
MIRAGE Sat 2014-09-06 1:45 PM
MAY ALLAH BLESS FRANCE! Sat 2014-09-06 10:15 PM
MURDER IN PACOT Sun 2014-09-07 10:45 AM
GREAT MAN, THEMon 2014-09-08 9:00 AM
MARDAN Mon 2014-09-08 11:30 AM
PIGEON SAT ON A BRANCH, A Mon 2014-09-08 7:15 PM
TIGERS Mon 2014-09-08 9:45 PM
1001 GRAMS Tue 2014-09-09 2:45 PM
SECOND CHANCE, A Tue 2014-09-09 6:00 PM
THREE HEARTS Tue 2014-09-09 9:00 PM
FOREIGN BODY Wed 2014-09-10 11:30 AM
LEVIATHAN Wed 2014-09-10 6:00 PM
PASOLINI Wed 2014-09-10 9:00 PM
TIMBUKTU Fri 2014-09-12 2:00 PM
ITSI BITSI Fri 2014-09-12 5:00 PM
FAR FROM MEN Sat 2014-09-13 3:00 PM

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

Primavera

TRIBE Member
Every year I think "this is the year I go to TIFF" and every year when I realize it's kind of a pain in the ass to get tickets AND paying $24 for a ticket (that's a standard single ticket price for normal screenings) is really expensive IMO, I pass.

$24 a ticket, that's NOT for Gala's/Special Presidentations is fucked.

So to see some normal movie at an 11am screening at the Scotiabank and paying $24 for the opportunity?

rave jedi

TRIBE Member
On September 5th, I may attend on Bill Murray Day. They are showing 3 of his classic movies for free: "Stripes", "Groundhog Day" and "Ghostbusters".

TIFF.net | Bill Murray Day

I've only ever seen "Ghostbusters" on TV and home video. It is the 30th anniversary of "Ghostbusters" and especially because I never did get to see this movie on the big screen in 1984 it is a must for me.

erika

TRIBE Member
For me the price is worth it because I get to see films that have a very low likelihood of being distributed here, and more often than not hear someone involved in the film talk about it (plus I bought my in a package ahead of time so they were a bit less).

So NOT a "normal" movie :)

djfear

TRIBE Member
On September 5th, I may attend on Bill Murray Day. They are showing 3 of his classic movies for free: "Stripes", "Groundhog Day" and "Ghostbusters".

TIFF.net | Bill Murray Day

I've only ever seen "Ghostbusters" on TV and home video. It is the 30th anniversary of "Ghostbusters" and especially because I never did get to see this movie on the big screen in 1984 it is a must for me.

You should make a reservation at Montecito and have the Baked Alaskan, which is based on the marshmellow man. The restaurant is owned by Reitman. I went there with my family and was impressed with it overall.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

oeretS

TRIBE Member
You should make a reservation at Montecito and have the Baked Alaskan, which is based on the marshmellow man. The restaurant is owned by Reitman. I went there with my family and was impressed with it overall.

checked out Montecito the other night, very good food and awesomely decorated. The blowup photos of Reitman on set for Ghostbusters, Twins etc are great. We thought about getting the Alaska but it looked kinda gross on someone else's table...

djcheezwhiz

TRIBE Member
Midnight Madness on Friday and Saturday along with a few other flicks including Riot Boys and Sound and Fury. Always a fun weekend in the city.

Spinsah

TRIBE Member
I'm just checking out Eden and Red Army this TIFF. Never been one for the big galas and I'm not over the moon about much of the Vanguard and Midnight Madness programming which I usually pull from. Maybe if single tickets get discounted as they have in past years half way into the festival, I might attend a few more screenings.

erika

TRIBE Member
Very tempted by Eden. It might be one I pick up on the fly. Tickets do become available the morning of at 7 am , as well as rush (and I have successfully been in big line-ups for rush and gotten in).

erika

TRIBE Member
I'm just checking out Eden and Red Army this TIFF. Never been one for the big galas and I'm not over the moon about much of the Vanguard and Midnight Madness programming which I usually pull from. Maybe if single tickets get discounted as they have in past years half way into the festival, I might attend a few more screenings.

Sven Love is spinning outside on King St for his sister's film on Saturday night.

mandapanda

TRIBE Member
For me the price is worth it because I get to see films that have a very low likelihood of being distributed here, and more often than not hear someone involved in the film talk about it (plus I bought my in a package ahead of time so they were a bit less).

this is what i normally do, however my friend who usually organizes the ticket book purchasing is preggers and due during the festival, so she's on hiatus this year. which means no movies for me for the first time in a long time, which is a little bit sad.

i will be out of town on vacation, however, so i think i'll be ok ;)

oeretS

TRIBE Member
The Judge was pretty good, a little melodramatic for my tastes but some great performances from Downey Jr and Robert Duvall. It'll likely be Oscar bait come January

oeretS

TRIBE Member
also this: TIFF.net | Stanley Kubrick Exhibition

7ef2a606ee08119287c4f142783e859a.jpg

Hawk Eye

TRIBE Member

me too.. all the best movies i've seen were at TIFF.. even though they did get a wide distribution.. THE RAID (for example).. but being one of the first audiences to see it and being a witness to the audience was also part of the experience. It was awesome!!

I decided last minute to go to TIFF.. next year i'm going to volunteer again.

I'm seeing a handful of movies. I usually go to the Midnight madnesses and Vanguard screenings.

I got:

The Cub - Midnight Madness
The Editor - Midnight Madness
TUSK - 2nd screening
Over Your Dead Body - I love Takashii Miike.

I"m going to log on for 7am tomorrow as i'm hoping to nab these tickets..

American Heist
The Guest
Kill me three times

I also want to go to the people's choice award movie.. Didn't know about Bill Murray day and had today off.. I would have gone to see one of his films. Oh well. Next year i'll be better prepared :)

erika

TRIBE Member
I'm hearing great things about The Guest.

And I just saw Mirage

THIS is what makes TIFF completely worthwhile. Directed by Szabolcs Hajdu, it's a sort of western dealing with slavery shot in the Pazcu (semi-barren plains) of Hungary, with Isaach De Bankolé in the lead. At the discussion afterwards, the director explained that after the fall of the Soviet Union, many larger farms were actually taken over by criminal elements, who had labourers working for them in somewhat forced labour for food and barely a place to sleep.

He had wanted to do a documentary about 10 years ago, but was pretty well run out of the area by some of the "owners". He met up with Jim Stark, who has produced many Jim Jarmusch films, at a film festival in Transylvania. They talked about the potential story, about doing it as a western, through an interpreter. Somehow this lead to Stark contacting De Bankolé, having understood that Hajdu thought the lead should be black, which he didn't actually!

So that all worked out well, and to top it off, they got Billy Martin, of Medeski Martin and Wood to do the soundtrack, which is great. And the set is amazing! I asked about it; it turns out it was 90% constructed, including this beat up piece of sort of train that was completely built. The director said that the set designer is the most renowned in Hungary, and that if we had more time he would tell us all of his political background, but alas we didn't.

You definitely do NOT get that kind of experience at your run of the mill film viewing for a standard price. Worth every cent!

erika

TRIBE Member
So like an idiot in a hurry, I put my book of remaining tickets on the ledge of the Lightbox washroom, and walked out. It only took me a couple of minutes to realize, but they were gone. If you hear someone saying how they lucked out and have 12 tickets... :(

basketballjones

TRIBE Member
I'm STOKED to see this on Sunday!!

Electric Boogaloo: The Wild, Untold Story of Cannon Films (2014) - IMDb

If you're like me & grew up in the 80's loving action flicks, this company put out THE BEST gems! All the Ninja flicks, tons of Chuck Norris movies, you name it!

Got free tix to this, hope it doesn't suck as bad as the reviews say it does

'Revenge of the Green Dragons' (2014) Movie Review | Rope of Silicon
golan globus was the go to for dodgy ninja movies yo!

Bernnie Federko

TRIBE Member
So like an idiot in a hurry, I put my book of remaining tickets on the ledge of the Lightbox washroom, and walked out. It only took me a couple of minutes to realize, but they were gone. If you hear someone saying how they lucked out and have 12 tickets... :(

:(

erika

TRIBE Member
so with my TIFF almost over, my top picks are:
Murder in Pacot
Timbuktu
Tales
The Great Man
Tigers
A Pigeon Sat on a Branch Reflecting on Existence
Pasolini

A few of these are still screening if you're interested. And if you like something with more shock value, try The Tribe - it could almost have gone into Midnight Madness.