• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Tidal lol

alexd

Administrator
Staff member

Only a few minutes ago, the entire music industry stood on a stage in a collective display of how rich and out of touch they are. They think you are willing to pay up to double the price of other streaming music services to pay for their streaming music service, because they are crazy.

Imagine this: canceling your Spotify subscription, and paying $20 for a Tidal subscription instead. It's more expensive because it's "higher quality" and "artist-owned," which is important because Usher, Daft Punk, and Madonna have been living in wretched penury for far too long, and it's time for people to give back. The modern-day Our Gang (which counted among its members not only the aforementioned supernovas, but also Rihanna, Nicki Minaj, Kanye West, Chris Martin, and Jack White) held a "keynote" to promote Tidal, the already extant European streaming company Jay Z recently purchased for $56 million because he's bored.

Jay Z and Beyonce (also present, beaming) dug up an old email thread (SUBJ: SURPRISE BRUNCH PARTY SATURDAY!), hit reply-all, and look at how many of their family friends turned out to stand on stage, visibly uncomfortable, and listen to Alicia Keys give an incoherent speech. At the conclusion of Keys' statement, which merged the rarely combined traits of being about an app and quoting Nietzsche, the artists all signed some sort of "declaration" one by one. I don't know what the document said—it was probably just a blank piece of paper, or perhaps an original copy of the Declaration of Independence that Deadmau5 received as a White Elephant gift.

When it came time for Madonna to sign, she put her whole leg up on the table, as if to say to the world World, I'm MADONNA and yes I am not too old to move my leg this way. No one is going to use Tidal. These dummies!

In case you had any lingering sympathy for the struggling mega-famous recording artist, here's a video they made to make you hate them:

"We're going to change the course of history," Jay Z says on camera. Then he and his friends raise a champagne toast to the glorious future.

The World's Most Famous Musicians Just Hosted a Bonkers Press Conference

ndrwrld

TRIBE Member
Dreadmau5 and Arcade Fire diehard fans are not too impressed they're putting their support behind this fucking cash grab.
this won't last.

kyfe

TRIBE Member
are they trying to strangle the record industry and break free with this?
the idea is great (lossless streaming) but when i think of the data it will use and what it'll cost to operate aside from the sub fee. it quickly becomes a pass

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

mute79

TRIBE Member
It would be good if they had indie artists on there. Unless you're one of those on the stage in the photo then you're making nothing off Spotify, and that ain't right either.

KickIT

TRIBE Member
Spotify starting to give away premium subscriptions. Signed deals with Playstation and Fido.

Competition is a good thing.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Klubmasta Will

TRIBE Member
that was indeed an awkward press conference. i wonder why they showed alicia keys' speech verbatim on the screen behind her while she was reading it. sporadic half-assed screams from the crowd. then all the megastars signed that declaration that no one bothered to explain, and then they all stood around awkwardly.

the today show did a story on it this morning, and then showed a viewer poll stating that very few would give tidal a try. i know i won't.

hummus

TRIBE Member
The press conference looks like something Tom Haverford would organize.

I would switch from Spotify to Tidal, but at 20$? no thank you.

Brandon

TRIBE Member
Streaming? Streaming!? I still lug my Panasonic Shockwave to the gym so I can listen to my DJ tapes.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

coleridge

TRIBE Member
Deadmau5 and Daftpunk need some sort of "civilian" masks ... because they look like a bunch of idiots at this press conference in their full helmets.

What is this, the meeting of pop music's Avengers?

videotronic

TRIBE Member
funniest thing about this whole shitshow is that deadmau5 was one of the people on stage yesterday for this tidal thing where everyone is going on about artists making more money and today he was live streaming the delivery of his new 1.6 MILLION dollar mclaren car

think about that for a sec...a 1.6 million dollar car. lololol

DJ Vuvu Zela

TRIBE Member
I think people jumping on how much these particular artists are worth are missing the point.

Spotify pays artists a pittance, so i can understand their desire to create a better business model. Ofcourse they are going to launch a new service with the biggest names - no one is going to give a shit about musicians no one's heard of, but it's actually those unknown artists that need an alternative to Spotify the most.

However, this isn't going to be it. very few will pay double what Spotify charges. Perhaps the cost of running a streaming service is just too high to compensate the artists fairly while being of worthwhile value to consumers? I'm not sure, but someone is going to have to come up with another plan to distribute revenue to creators more equitably.

Ho||yw0oD

TRIBE Member
I think people jumping on how much these particular artists are worth are missing the point.

Spotify pays artists a pittance, so i can understand their desire to create a better business model. Ofcourse they are going to launch a new service with the biggest names - no one is going to give a shit about musicians no one's heard of, but it's actually those unknown artists that need an alternative to Spotify the most.

However, this isn't going to be it. very few will pay double what Spotify charges. Perhaps the cost of running a streaming service is just too high to compensate the artists fairly while being of worthwhile value to consumers? I'm not sure, but someone is going to have to come up with another plan to distribute revenue to creators more equitably.
Agreed, and Tidal would likely have been better used as a mere concept used as leverage for a better deal with Spotify. By launching Tidal and with its death nothing short of imminent, they have no leverage to go back and negotiate with Spotify.

This group of dimwits should have hired a (better) marketing and PR agency to take the market's temp before going forward with this.