1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

tick tok tick tok

Discussion in 'Technology' started by d.code, Oct 7, 2005.

1. d.code

d.code TRIBE Member

Im rendering a few shots in 3ds max. I now feel the pain of all you other 3d artists out there. I need more ram. A LOT more.

(I thought 2 gigs would be enough).

carry on!

2. KodiaK

KodiaK TRIBE Member

i remember how long it took to render a simple 3d wireframe object on an XT w/ one of the first versions of autocad

now that was fuckin pain.

3. d.code

d.code TRIBE Member

So here it is..

The presentation is nice- but the model is farish from being done. Not all the edges are smooth how I would like them to be (its a toy) and I would have liked to have been able to work on it for another few days- but it was due today. For a very-first-model-ever (not since 1994 and Alias Sketch- shudder) I don't think its too bad.

[​IMG]

(if you look closely you can see quite a few things wrong).

This model took me around 10-15 hours to complete. It was completely rebuilt from scratch twice.

In retrospect- if I were to go back and start again I could do it in 5.

4. ~atp~

~atp~ TRIBE Member

nice work mang! :)

I'm no expert, but I remember playing around in povray for years back in 1994 or something.

Do you think you could add some mild texture to the plastic pieces? I think that would add to the realism.

5. d.code

d.code TRIBE Member

I could have added real textures to it- but for the project it was to be un-textured more or less. The textures that are on there are just base colours with some settings mucked around with.

6. KiFe

KiFe TRIBE Member

Nice model dood!

note: rendering doesn't necessarily require more ram (2gigs is more than enough for the model you've shown) ... rendering is mainly CPU intensive.

you need a DUALIE.

back with more comments shortly.

7. d.code

d.code TRIBE Member

How long did it take you to render Blingbot kife (the still image)?

I just checked out your demo reel (without sound) and its damn nice. The bling bot animation is very slick. My teacher says good job.

8. KiFe

KiFe TRIBE Member

Haha.. it's old college work that's somehow stood the test of time.

I think the still image of bling took about 20-30mins to render... but it was using full radiosity and final gathering... so with simple 3point lighting, it ought to have rendered in a reasonable 3-5mins.

9. KiFe

KiFe TRIBE Member

as a side note, if i were to make any reccomendation, it would be to widen the ametures that support the shovel... even though it's intended to be a toy, i think a little thicker plastic would probably add some realism to the whole. Aside from that, the wheels and chassis modeling is super tight!

10. d.code

d.code TRIBE Member

^^ thnx d00d

ANother night of rendering. I had to make a fruit bowl scene. I didn't do exactly that- i did something much nicer and better. Once the final render is done- ill post it here again. My mock up renders are taking a good 20 minutes each. Final should take about an hour.

11. skin deep

skin deep TRIBE Member

What render engine are you using?

Like somebody else said, 2 gigs of ram is more than enough for rendering. The dual core athlon chips would seriously speed up your renders, the 3800+ has a reasonable price point and is easy enough to OC to the levels of the much more expensive 4400+. The new socket 939 dual core opterons are also being released at a decent price, and all of the render engines I have used absolutely love the opteron core.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2005
  12. d.code

d.code TRIBE Member

Im using Ray Tracer in 3ds Max 7.

Im running the dual 3800+. Next time I get some cash I think im going to upgrade to a dual core 4400.

For this project Im experimenting with a few different rendering engines. Im liking the results of the Mental Ray render engine- but im thinking it would better suit non-organic renders.

13. physix

physix TRIBE Member

it should be more than enough.

the labs in school run MAYA succcessfully on 1.5

PS --> that's really good for a 1st semester on 3D Studio Max!!

kudos!

14. skin deep

skin deep TRIBE Member

I really doubt that the performance difference between the 3800+ and the 4400+ is really worth the price point. The 3800+ is definitely the best bang for your buck processor out right now, if I didn't have to buy a new mobo to use it, I'd definitely have it already.

Regardless, if you decide to go with the 4400+, I'd be more than happy to buy the 3800 off of you!

15. d.code

d.code TRIBE Member

Duely noted!!

So im rendering a final "1 of 3 lighting" scenes right now.
    We are clocking in at 1530210 polygons. 4 shadow maps at 2048 pixals (that will add ALOT to my time). Ray tracing at 1000. 6 Color bounces. Its been rougly 8 minutes and 1/5 of the image is done.

16. d.code

d.code TRIBE Member

Here is the first final render:

[​IMG]

I made a few changes after this one.

Render time: 1 hour and 9 minutes.

17. d.code

d.code TRIBE Member

nue projekt finished:

[​IMG]

Im not happy with this one.

But who is ever happy with their own work?

I got a lot to learn on texturing things to look real. I need better material building skills (which will be my self assigned holiday project).

18. skin deep

skin deep TRIBE Member

Lighting definitely helps with realism as well. I've learned a lot by studying studio setups then applying them to the 3d world. It's more fun too because you can use lighting setups that would cost hundreds of thousands of dollars, and see how they turn out. Some examples:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

lastly, not really an example of studio lighting, but some decent materials in here ...

[​IMG]

19. Stan

Stan TRIBE Member

20. d.code

d.code TRIBE Member

They have changed the photos since I last did this test.

This time around 9 out of 10!

The lighting set up on my streetcar scene was pretty average. I had set up reflectors and everything tho.

One of the problems I had was the lights burning out the textures too much. As I said- I learned a lot from this project regarding texture and material building.

21. KiFe

KiFe TRIBE Member

woohoo! new pics for this game.

i got 10 out of 10.

i'm a superstar!

22. d.code

d.code TRIBE Member

you win teh golden render artifiact!

23. KiFe

KiFe TRIBE Member

The hard-edge award of geekery!

24. d.code

d.code TRIBE Member

[​IMG]

Learning Vray. Ignore the bad reflections in the window- im stuff figuring all this stuff out. Doing this project for fun mostly and I remembered this thread.

25. Deus

Deus TRIBE Member

can't see it