• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

THUMP - History of EDM in Canada Video

T_Dot_House

TRIBE Member
It's called a digital dreams video but it's more about the scene and history here in Toronto.

[YOUTUBE]AlgkPEWgkVg[/YOUTUBE]

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

ninja

TRIBE Member
Thanks for posting that video.
It makes me smile to think of the wonderful times had by so many people back in the late 90's and early 00's when I was still parting in Ontario.

I am happy to see that all the work that promoters did back then has developed into a sustainable industry. I can't imagine that many promoters when they started throwing parties thought that they will develop a career out of it.

praktik

TRIBE Member
One thing missing: where is the shit with all the more hippy-ish promoters who throw parties in different places for smaller crowds?

This is a history of "the club" - not all electronic music in the area...

Taro

TRIBE Member
^well the video was meant for digital dreams - we just need another video on the underground scene

praktik

TRIBE Member
Ya only a few mins too.. Peeps should keep putting these out but from their corner - then we stitch em together!

le bricoleur

TRIBE Member
That was hardly a history of Toronto's electronic music scene.

It was a video CV for those who have a stake in Digital Dreams.

Not that I take any issue with that. Quite the contrary. People - especially the younger generation of party-goers - should know the talent, intelligence and experience behind Toronto's festivals, which may on the surface look like corporate cash grabs.

le bricoleur

TRIBE Member
I'm with Praktik, I'd love to see more videos from the different corners of the scene. I'd love to see some footage from the older OM Festivals.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

WestsideWax

TRIBE Promoter
I have no doubt that Ryan loves the music that he promotes, but he's always been a businessperson, first and foremost - anyone who ever played a Destiny Friday and didn't get paid at the end of the night can attest to that. ;)

d.code

TRIBE Member
Had not seen this before. Good watch.
Reminds me a bit of those RA real scene mini-docs.

At the end, mentioning how things got quiet in the early 2000's while everyone was learning to make music- or find their sounds / voices what ever.. seems pretty right to me. Toronto is exploding right now with talent.

T_Dot_House

TRIBE Member
Here are the other Canadian cities THUMP did:
Montreal:
[YOUTUBE]Zj7cW5z5fy8[/YOUTUBE]

Vancouver:
[YOUTUBE]fPpm1TuXwAE[/YOUTUBE]

Calgary:
[YOUTUBE]hCGNW3qLyqc[/YOUTUBE]

videotronic

TRIBE Member
chris pronovost has swag for weeks. the fact that he isn't living on a boat in monaco or someplace like that is one of the worlds great injustices haha

Bumbaclat

TRIBE Member
I didn't even know Toronto had that many good looking people
Beer commercials always have attractive models that they've hired. Heineken is no exception.

I enjoyed watching that. I'd totally forgotten about Wintergalactic. Industry I remember vividly.

derek

TRIBE Member
well shot for sure. not some much on history though. if you want a history on edm in toronto you've got to go further back than industry. nice that matt & kenny are getting props though. out of all the toronto djs kenny has always been one of my faves. we actually go way back to even before he started spinning.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders