• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Thugs beatdown staff at Toronto bar, police "can't do anything about it"

Preroller

TRIBE Member
repost from a friend on FB

In the neighbourhood...

"Dear Neighbours,

Just letting you all know, one of my employees and the local bartender at Bar 1602 (1602 Dundas) were attacked last night, in the bar, at closing time, by 3 young men and 1 young woman. The group shouted profanities as well as claiming that this neighbourhood "belonged to them" and they were "sick of all the hipsters trying to take over" before striking the bartender and jumping my employee. The young woman cheered the group on, as they continued to beat both gentlemen and then chased my employee out the door, down an alley where the beating continued. The bartender was struck over and over again. The bullying four warned that they would be back. Both victims of the attack suffered multiple beatings but nothing extremely serious. The police were notified, but told Jason Abrams (bar owner) that there is nothing they can do. Anyone with any information is asked to contact Jason at Bar 1602."

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

rentboy

TRIBE Member
I'm confused about the police saying there's nothing they can do. They don't investigate acts of assault?

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

orchid

TRIBE Member
From what I know, Bar 1602 used to be a watering hole for old Portuguese men in the neighbourhood. I was there last fall for a friend's 80s prom theme b-day party, right after the place had changed over and reopened. There were still some of the old regulars sitting at the bar, hanging on for dear life, while our DJ friends played some raging DnB to a big gang of glittery 30 somethings in hilarious outfits. The old men were amused.

[- FuNKtiOn -]

TRIBE Member
The group shouted profanities as well as claiming that this neighbourhood "belonged to them" and they were "sick of all the hipsters trying to take over" before striking the bartender and jumping my employee. The young woman cheered the group on, as they continued to beat both gentlemen and then chased my employee out the door, down an alley where the beating continued. "
The one thing I'm confused about is they chased an employee out of the bar and down an alley? I'm not one for fighting, but I generally would know better than to run away from a generally populated area into an alley if I was being pursued. That said, sucks that things like this happen to begin with.

Don't they have cams in the bar?
This bar is small and dank. Even if there were cameras, it's pretty dark in there, I'd be surprised if they would ever get more than a silhouette of a person in frame.

Time to invest in a bouncer...that sucks hope your friend's staff are ok.
The place runs on bare bones. Whether they even have beer on tap is a mystery until you arrive. I doubt they will be investing in more employees in any facet.

Beings

TRIBE Member
They could put the barkeep behind glass, like those cashnow places in shady parts of town. Come to think of it, most fastfood places in detroit have that. :p

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

peko

TRIBE Member
haha what

Preroller's inital post has the "dear neighbours" letter within quotation marks.
repost from a friend on FB

In the neighbourhood...

"Dear Neighbours,

Just letting you all know, one of my employees and the local bartender at Bar 1602 (1602 Dundas) were attacked last night, in the bar, at closing time, by 3 young men and 1 young woman. The group shouted profanities as well as claiming that this neighbourhood "belonged to them" and they were "sick of all the hipsters trying to take over" before striking the bartender and jumping my employee. The young woman cheered the group on, as they continued to beat both gentlemen and then chased my employee out the door, down an alley where the beating continued. The bartender was struck over and over again. The bullying four warned that they would be back. Both victims of the attack suffered multiple beatings but nothing extremely serious. The police were notified, but told Jason Abrams (bar owner) that there is nothing they can do. Anyone with any information is asked to contact Jason at Bar 1602."

ndrwrld

TRIBE Member
it'll only be a matter of time before someone who was in the bar at the time of the assault sees one of these jackasses on the street and either calls the cops, or takes care of things on their own. I'd follow them to their houses, and then call a couple hard pipe hittin' ...

BigLove

TRIBE Member
From what I know, Bar 1602 used to be a watering hole for old Portuguese men in the neighbourhood. I was there last fall for a friend's 80s prom theme b-day party, right after the place had changed over and reopened. There were still some of the old regulars sitting at the bar, hanging on for dear life, while our DJ friends played some raging DnB to a big gang of glittery 30 somethings in hilarious outfits. The old men were amused.
That place was never an old Portuguese man bar, that's 2 doors west. That was place was an Asian dry cleaner for years.

Preroller

TRIBE Member
I had a hard time coming up with a thread title that was relevant. ;)

Haven't even heard anything in regards to this. :eek: