• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Thoughts on Wifi video monitoring systems

kyfe

TRIBE Member
Since we have a baby on the way I am looking into purchasing a baby monitor, while it doesn't have to be exclusively for the baby I am looking for something with a good quality picture, ease of use and phone/tablet compatibility.

I have been interested in two and wondering if anyone has experiences they care to share.

The first one is Dropcam HD Wi-Fi
Dropcam

the second is Withings Smart baby monitor
Withings - Smart Baby Monitor - Introduction

agentRC4

TRIBE Member
We looked into a video monitor with our first one, but at the end of the day, for us, it was not a good fit.

The baby can and will scream and you will hear it regardless. The baby was always close to us (a room or two away) so again it didn't work for us.

We always found the regular baby monitors did just fine.

Friends of mine who did this just spent all their time just watching the screen ALL DAY. The mom has some pretty serious issues with letting it go and turning it off at work. (pretty sure it didn't help her postpartum depression)

If you are getting a nanny or someone to watch the little one I could see why you would want one. But then again you would want your while house wired up.

We found the baby stores and industry in general would just prey off of your insecurities of being a first time parent and try to take you to the cleaners.

That being said the Drop Cam looks pretty slick. Lots of functionality.

Hi i'm God

TRIBE Member
We have a video monitor but it doesn't wifi to our smartphones that definitely seems like over kill.

Only time we use the video is to see which one of the kids is up other than that it's more of a nice to have feature but totes not necessary.

Vise

TRIBE Member
I have no input on the original question (we used an old school baby monitor with our kid) but the Dropcam looks sick. Ordering one now to play around with. :D

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

kyfe

TRIBE Member
I also have dogs and the voice back feature is huge as I can buzz them out and tell them to get off the couch.

my wife and I are pretty laid back so we won't be OCD with the checking of the monitor but that is a very valid point.

Nanny??? do you think I'm as rich as Kuba:p?

kyfe

TRIBE Member
Sheet really?
you can rent a UPS box or use a service to accept the parcel the box is $10 monthly i think and the service is per transaction (like a handling fee)

I'm looking at another item and her it will cost me over $250 to have delivered to me directly, to purchase it here in store would be over $300. yet I can get it delivered to the states and it will cost me $150.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

agentRC4

TRIBE Member
My Brother in Law lives in Chicago and is coming up in a couple of weeks. Think I may just have it delivered to his place and he can truck it up for me.

If you do get one, please report back!

Vise

TRIBE Member
If anyone is getting one shipped to the US and brought over I'll gladly hop aboard that train... I can paypal the funds over to you. Normally I'd order to my folks condo in Florida but they won't be there anytime soon.

Hi i'm God

TRIBE Member
I also have dogs and the voice back feature is huge as I can buzz them out and tell them to get off the couch.

my wife and I are pretty laid back so we won't be OCD with the checking of the monitor but that is a very valid point.

Nanny??? do you think I'm as rich as Kuba:p?
Ours has the voice back feature too. I've used it a couple times but I think it freaks the girls out to hear my voice and not see me in their room.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Blue Meanies

TRIBE Member
Arrgh no shipping outside the US. :mad:
MyUS.com - #1 International Shipping, Mail and Package Forwarding Service - MyUS.com

amazing parcel forwarding service. $10usd life time membership. I live in East Asia and have items shipped here from America all the time. Once you sign up you get your own valid address/po box in florida that you can use for any American online retailer. You're still responsible for shipping, customs and taxes (if any) but other than that I get my shipments usually within a few days through their service. also since they're such a large company they get really good rates for shipping.

Also to add, I didn't feel the need to use a baby monitor, neither video or old school. If the baby cries we go check, and to be honest you're going to always be checking even if the baby isn't crying, just to make sure it's still alive. Really weird but something the wife and I (and other new parents) can't stop doing, lol. :eek: We have a baby monitor and honestly never really use it.

Last edited:

Blue Meanies

TRIBE Member
We found the baby stores and industry in general would just prey off of your insecurities of being a first time parent and try to take you to the cleaners.
This x 1000000! There are so many things you THINK you need or have been brainwashed into thinking you need, that you end up never using or just using once or twice. :(

Bumbaclat

TRIBE Member
, and to be honest you're going to always be checking even if the baby isn't crying, just to make sure it's still alive. Really weird but something the wife and I (and other new parents) can't stop doing, lol.
haha, so true. If the baby is asleep when I'm driving somewhere I have to pull over so I can stare at her neck to make sure she is still breathing. I did the same thing with my boy when he was a baby. It's strange what the worrying voice in your head will make you do.