• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Thoughts on the College Strike>?

Cri

TRIBE Member
pro - do all the work I didn't do on my reading week

con - potentially don't get to do my summer placement if the strike goes more than 2 weeks

rentboy

TRIBE Member
yeah, i'm pretty pissed about this,

i'm actually annoyed about losing a few weeks of study as opposed to sitting home working on other things...money down the drain.

however, i'll still be able to do portfolio work as well as prepare for the grad shows so it's not a compete loss.

R4V4G3D_SKU11S

TRIBE Member
Con - going to school until mid-summer, thus fucking up your summer fun AND cutting into possible work/travel opportunities.

Pro - I go to University. :p

Ask people from the board who were around for the York strike - not pretty. If you're paying to go to post-secondary school, you shouldn't be cheering at the prospect based on benig able to sleep in.

rentboy

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by R4V4G3D_SKU11S
Con - going to school until mid-summer, thus fucking up your summer fun AND cutting into possible work/travel opportunities.

i was told my course operator that my year wouldn't be held back and that if the strike goes for a lengthy period that we'd just graduate.

6 weeks from finishing a 3 year course and they go on fucking strike.

djdeposit

TRIBE Member
yea ........... i heard..........and find it hard to believe............that for those who are passing, prior to the strike...............we apparently get the credit.

Thats cool and all.........but then we really are getting ripped off if u think about it

AdamAnt

TRIBE Member
It's funny how NONE of the teachers I talked to voted for this strike. THat means that 64% of my teachers are lieing to me.

Cho

TRIBE Member
So what's the deal? Strike is a guarantee beginning Tuesday midnite? Or am i totally off here?

Hawk Eye

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by djdeposit
yea ........... i heard..........and find it hard to believe............that for those who are passing, prior to the strike...............we apparently get the credit.

Thats cool and all.........but then we really are getting ripped off if u think about it
That's incorrect bc how can you get the credit if you dont do any work? What college do you go to?

I posted a thread about the college strike a few months ago and no one responded to it.

To get up to date information go to www.collegestrike.com.

If the strike is more then 2 weeks they will extend the semester.

and Cri, how come you can't do your summer placement once the strike is over?

Last edited:

Hawk Eye

TRIBE Member
Pro - no school
con - graduation date ?

pro - sleep in
con - ???
The strike won't be 2 months long lol
When will your graudation be?

My graduation will be around June, it wont get effected at all.

djdeposit

TRIBE Member
my graduation is next december and i hope it stays that way.

for people on workterm ........such as myself.
having a contract and also having to attend school in the summer are just not happening.

Hawk Eye

TRIBE Member
my graduation is next december and i hope it stays that way.

Then why are you so worried?
they won't do anything with the graduation.

work term? where do you go to college?

PolishPrincess

TRIBE Member
QUESTION

Do you think if the strike goes on that i wont be able to write my test for HUMBER?

i dont go there...but i applied and i have to write some test....

will that be affected does anyone know?
thanks!

Cri

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Hawk Eye
and Cri, how come you can't do your summer placement once the strike is over?
Because the placement is only for two months and there is a group scheduled for the next two months..so we can't go over :(

and I'm afraid that if we do go on strike that I won't do any work and just fritter my time away..read: smoke weed with lori...

BUT if school stays in session it will force me to do my work.

fuck. life is so hard.

:D

Spikey

TRIBE Member
Re: QUESTION

Originally posted by PolishPrincess
Do you think if the strike goes on that i wont be able to write my test for HUMBER?

thanks!
I heard the the placement tests are a go ahead even if the strike is on.

P.S. What are you applying for at Humber?

Hawk Eye

TRIBE Member
Re: QUESTION

Originally posted by PolishPrincess

thanks!
Who will be doing your test? Will it be faculty? bc if it's factulty then you won't be able to as anything to do with the school is closed..(faculty wise) except for the computer lab and learning support services.

They're even shutting down group wise (teachers email system) bc they are to have no contact with students whats so ever.

Last edited:

Hawk Eye

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Cri
Because the placement is only for two months and there is a group scheduled for the next two months..so we can't go over :(

and I'm afraid that if we do go on strike that I won't do any work and just fritter my time away..read: smoke weed with lori...

BUT if school stays in session it will force me to do my work.

fuck. life is so hard.

:D
Can't they bump it by the amount of time the colleges do go on strike?

Maybe you should learn to be self motivated :D

I hope we go on strike bc then i can stay here and do homework as im so behind and I also have to be at the school to help with students freaking out.

PolishPrincess

TRIBE Member
Re: Re: QUESTION

Originally posted by Spikey
I heard the the placement tests are a go ahead even if the strike is on.

P.S. What are you applying for at Humber?
Business Marketing and Advertising (media sales)

Thanks Spikey and Hawk Eye...i should call them to make sure:D

Cri

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Hawk Eye
Maybe you should learn to be self motivated :D

SOO self motivated today!! First day back at school after the break, and the spring air is making me more eager to learn..I feel great!

NOw I really don't want the strike to happen! :(

Big Cheese

TRIBE Member
they are gonzo on wednesday mos def

management won't candy up the deal so they gonna walk

95% sure

paging justina whose got the inside scoop...

give us deets

'G