• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Those nerds who think they're knights?

Krzysiu

TRIBE Member
Whats the name of that group of people who dress up in "medieval" garb, run out into a field and bash the shit of themselves with foam covered weapons?

Is it the society of creative inaccuracy or something? I googled it, no luck.

A friend was telling me his spetsnaz class shared a room with some "broadswordsmanship" course. He also indicated to me upon further inquiry that yes, they were overweight and had glasses, ponytails and/or both. You can't take a time out in a fight to discuss the logistics of a certain parry or blow. Gah!!

I think it'd be kind of fun to run around in a field for an afternoon dressed in "armour", riding horses and batting the buttfucking juices out of some poor nerd. I dunno how much roleplaying would actually be involved cause I'm pretty aggro when it comes to smashy smashy stuff.

"DIE YOU, MOTHERFUCKING NERD! I'M GOING FUCK YOUR HORSE AND RIDE OFF ON YOUR GIRLFRIEND!"

It probably is really lame, like medieval times but with people who keep saying "yeah... but like for real" or who pretend to talk in bad olde english, but I'm still curious.

Screw it, who wants to go get really sauced and go to medieval times and pick a fight?

"No time for dice modifiers, bitch!" hahahaha!

Vikings and Knights are cool. huh huh huh EXCELSIOR!

dyad

TRIBE Member
society of creative anachronism http://www.sca.org/ i saw a food network wedding show that was about these kids i would have to put on a bit of weight though or i'll never be queen

Krzysiu

TRIBE Member
her role highness was a wee bit pudgy? too many mutton hocks and glasses of mead?

nerf does hurt! I got a detention when I was in school for winging on of those whistling footballs at my teacher cause he sucked. he was right pissed! hahahaha.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

dyad

TRIBE Member
i ought to start a diet of suckling pig and sweetbreads perhaps I can work my way up to duchess or even countess. i dont think the girls get to fight though, only embroider *sigh*

oeretS

TRIBE Member
this reality RPG shit is huge in quebec, i remember many times chillin at the park then all of a sudden 2 full grown franco dudes in robes and aluminum foil swords are prancing around fighting..

truly bizarre

NemIsis

TRIBE Member
Krzysiu said:
Whats the name of that group of people who dress up in "medieval" garb, run out into a field and bash the shit of themselves with foam covered weapons?

Is it the society of creative inaccuracy or something? I googled it, no luck.

A friend was telling me his spetsnaz class shared a room with some "broadswordsmanship" course. He also indicated to me upon further inquiry that yes, they were overweight and had glasses, ponytails and/or both. You can't take a time out in a fight to discuss the logistics of a certain parry or blow. Gah!!

I think it'd be kind of fun to run around in a field for an afternoon dressed in "armour", riding horses and batting the buttfucking juices out of some poor nerd. I dunno how much roleplaying would actually be involved cause I'm pretty aggro when it comes to smashy smashy stuff.

"DIE YOU, MOTHERFUCKING NERD! I'M GOING FUCK YOUR HORSE AND RIDE OFF ON YOUR GIRLFRIEND!"

It probably is really lame, like medieval times but with people who keep saying "yeah... but like for real" or who pretend to talk in bad olde english, but I'm still curious.

Screw it, who wants to go get really sauced and go to medieval times and pick a fight?

"No time for dice modifiers, bitch!" hahahaha!

Vikings and Knights are cool. huh huh huh EXCELSIOR!
LOL!!

Being a history freak (Particularly medieval history, I thought about joining this group)... A few friends are members.. But then foud out they are a bunch of alchoholic swingers!!!! (According to said friends). No issue with that, but....you would have to see said friends.. Yeah, ..uh...no...

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Lurker

TRIBE Member
oeretS said:
this reality RPG shit is huge in quebec, i remember many times chillin at the park then all of a sudden 2 full grown franco dudes in robes and aluminum foil swords are prancing around fighting..

truly bizarre
They're already out in force. I see them parading up my street towards the park on nice weekends.

I'd pay to see CrazySue get all messy and take on the hordes of nerds!

Polymorph

TRIBE Member
This thread sucks.

Anyways, it's all about the Pink Fuzzy Bunnies now.

(btw yeah, I really know how to 'rebound')

Krzysiu

TRIBE Member
reading the sca page right now... looks sorta neat. but I was a history major, I'd be all confrontational about people getting it wrong. then I'd grab the nearest foam sword, weigh into the crowd, taking as many of them in leotards down as possible before riding off on a lady-in-waiting.

Krzysiu

TRIBE Member
naw, thats waaaaay too lame. I was thinking more along the lines of jousting. anyone who hits me with a plastic sword while screaming "lightening bolt, lightening bolt" would get a healthy dose of reality.

Shug

TRIBE Member
LARPing looks too physically exhausting, and not technical enough. You call your own shots (you choose when you've been dealt a mortal or wounding blow, not the hitter)... WTF?! I'd just keep running around thwaking ppl in the face, saying "You didn't hit me, my armour is magical and indestructable!"

I'll stick to my dice, thanks. *pets his most recently purchased 7-dice-set lovingly*

The movie Darkon that played at the HotDocs film festival last week explored the world of LARPing... it was interesting, and provided a good and insightful character portrait of your average LARPer... and believe it or not, most of you probably know a LARPer at your work or school, and don't even realize it.

Krzysiu

TRIBE Member
I'm the same... I roleplay, but it involves discussions over beer, chips and hopefully tacos.

d.code

TRIBE Member
With Fire I strike this thread for 3 points of damage!

Yeah I used to Larp before I discovered drugs. THATS FUCKIN' RIGHT. Ill smite all of you with my fire mana pakcets that are biodegrable so they wont kill a bird that might decide to eat one.

It was something my abusive step father tried to get the family closer. It mostly resulted in me hanging out with this guy way the fuck off the actual playing grounds smoking weed and listening to the Gratefull dead blasting out from a farm house down the road.

My sister was the goblin queen of the moon (true story) and Oliver, one of my friends, was actually.. get this.... a tree (true story).
This is the LARP that I played. You can usually find them at Ryerson university.

the girl in the robe is my sister. The guy with the curly hair that looks like a chesnut is Oliver. Some of you might actually know him (he has or had dread locks and was a dancing liquid kids.. which is kinda like larping). He would always try and hit me or something if I ever mentioned this when we were around "cool" people. How dare I undermine his coolthority.

and here we go...........

the guy with the kite shield? yeah thats me.
The guy in the chain mail? thats my step dad. He built that suit of amour (plus a couple of others) and the helmet on his lunch breaks at work.

Thats right.
I out nerded this thread for teh win.

Last edited:

that 420 guy

TRIBE Member
there is a krew of enthusiasts here who meet weekly to swordspar in the park with foam covered swords, axes, and shields too.

it started to be attended by mostly kids, so they began another night for the older enthusiasts (14+). i've been wanting to go, but haven't been able to make it out, so my friend jim borrowed two swords and found me one afternoon. he shared with me the sword fighting techniques they use at swordsparring, going over rules and safety. its not just a free for all slash and cut as i thought it was.

wielding a sword in pretend battles is an interesting way to tune in. its fluid movement, like a dance, but with a weapon. swordsmanship is an ancient art of discipline, and is really fun to explore.

i've held many swords in the past few months, from padded practice swords to extremely sharp long broadswords. holy shit some of them are heavy.

there was a goddess at faeries and fools who had two homemeade machettes with her, sheathed in each one of her boots. the handles were padded with a bit of foam and black tape. as i spoke with her (blown away by her beauty) she said that dancing with blades in her boots was a bit uncomfortable. she then took her swords out and laid them in an X on the floor and began dancing around them. i said to her "you do realize that you are the hawtest shit in the universe right now don't you?"

it makes sense that people who make fun of those who enjoy sparring with weapons have never held a sword in battle (pretend or otherwise)...or maybe i'm wrong with my assumption. if you're interested, try wielding a sword and spar. its pretty fun, and a great way to spend a sunny afternoon in the park. i'm sure there are many enthusiasts living in toronto who enjoy sparring with weapons.

nerds come in all shapes and sizes (including overweight, ponytailed, glasses, even dreadlocks)

personally, i enjoy wielding a staff more than a sword, especially when the staff is on fire. sexxxy.

hey krazy sue, please keep us posted on your adventures trying to find nerds to slice up with your foam sword and witty banter...or at the very least please post pikchaz of you getting sauced (at medieval times or wherever else you find a fight) :p

~*...normaste...*~

Krzysiu

TRIBE Member
yeah, I think I will pursue it. I'm pretty hyper and get enthusasitic about weird stuff so I think it'd be fun.

but I'm taking a no-magic stance. +3 to reality people.

jousting, where its at. smashy smashy!!

that 420 guy

TRIBE Member
Krzysiu said:
yeah, I think I will pursue it. I'm pretty hyper and get enthusasitic about weird stuff so I think it'd be fun.
jawesome...and remember, yelling "look, a hawt girl" is an excellent way to distract nerds and get a cheap swing in there. ;)