• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Thomas Junta Sentenced 6-10 years.

funkNstyle

TRIBE Member
For those who dont know Thomas Junta was just sentenced for beating Mr. Costa to death, after their son's minor hockey game in July of 2001.

He recieved 6-10 years in a state prison.
6'1", 275lbs Junta repeatedly beat Mr. Costa a much smaller man to death outside the doors of the arena.

The Dispute was over rough play in the sons (10 year old boys)hockey game.
There was a scuffle inside the arena, Junta left, returned within 5 minutes and attcked Mr. Costa in the lobby, leading outside where junta pinned him down and punched him several times followed with smashing Mr. Costa's head into the pavement.

I think he deserves the sentence
I play hockey, grew up playing it and i have NEVER seen this shit, much less over your 10 year old sons game

Jonny
 

K_la

TRIBE Member
This is one of the few times i think that the sentance is too long. I can understand why he did. I dont agree with it, i still think he should serve time but only 2 years. Its ironic bc the coach said that hitting was part of hockey. The dude got pissed cuz his son was getting checked in a NO CHECKING tyke division. If i were a father and some paumus arogant coach told me off like that id probably smash his face to.

Its also ironic bc the guy killed the coach over voilence on the ice!
 

Angeles

TRIBE Member
^^^Are you kidding me?! This guy beat that man to death!!! The reports in the paper stated that people kept shouting at Junta to stop hitting the guy but he still carried on.
Think what it would be like to see YOUR father being beaten to death and then tell me that you think the sentence is too long...
 

416

TRIBE Member
That's fucked up.

If my kid was getting all messed up and a grown man was encouraging it, I'd fuck him up. It's that simple. I think it's a normal reaction. I think it's sad as hell that the other dude died, but he deserved a couple shots in the head for sure.
 

seeker

TRIBE Member
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 416:
That's fucked up.


If my kid was getting all messed up and a grown man was encouraging it, I'd fuck him up. It's that simple. I think it's a normal reaction. I think it's sad as hell that the other dude died, but he deserved a couple shots in the head for sure.
</font>
no, a 'normal' reaction would be to take your child out of the game, file a complaint wiht the league AND NOT BEAT A MAN TO DEATH!
 
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Rosey

TRIBE Member
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 416:
That's fucked up.

If my kid was getting all messed up and a grown man was encouraging it, I'd fuck him up. It's that simple. I think it's a normal reaction. I think it's sad as hell that the other dude died, but he deserved a couple shots in the head for sure.
</font>
and that's exactly what he got. the problem is that one of them was a "freak chance punch" (from the medical examiner) that killed him.

the people who were quoted as begging him to stop were a couple of hysterical women who couldn't clearly or objectively recall the events because they were so freaked out by it. by other accounts the little shit kept coming after the big guy who was trying to get away.
 

Bass-Invader

TRIBE Member
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Rosey:
and that's exactly what he got. the problem is that one of them was a "freak chance punch" (from the medical examiner) that killed him.

the people who were quoted as begging him to stop were a couple of hysterical women who couldn't clearly or objectively recall the events because they were so freaked out by it. by other accounts the little shit kept coming after the big guy who was trying to get away.

</font>

it would seem that the collective judgement on the accounts points to a savage beating. He wouldn't have gotten a 10 year sentence if the judge was convinced he made any attempt to stay his hand.
 

416

TRIBE Member
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Angeles:
^^^Are you kidding me?! This guy beat that man to death!!! The reports in the paper stated that people kept shouting at Junta to stop hitting the guy but he still carried on.
Think what it would be like to see YOUR father being beaten to death and then tell me that you think the sentence is too long...
</font>
Oh ya, another thing. It's not like the dude just went over to the coach and filled him in till he was dead. He got all nuts, a fight started... then the coach went after him after the first fight had broken up.

I don't see how that should = 6 years+.

I think I'm gonna start agreeing with "Rosey" (is that who it was?) about the whole big man vs. little man thing that was brought up a couple weeks ago regarding this crap.

6 years! Boooooooooooooooo!
 

Angeles

TRIBE Member
I agree that encouraging violence in youth sports is not the right way to go, but Junta should have set an example instead of losing it on the guy. We all get angry at people some times but most of us still have the good sense not to kill each other.
Junta is a grown man and could have handled the situation any number of different ways.
He took someone's life and now he is suffering the consequences.
 

Hi i'm God

TRIBE Member
On thing I saw on TV was. The little guy attacked Junta riped off his necklace. then they showed picturs of the cut it gave junta on the back of his neck. The big guy left and the next day the coach attacked him again, thats when after three punches he killed the coach. One being a freak hit that killed him...
 
tribe magazine legacy photo exhibit

416

TRIBE Member
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by seeker:
no, a 'normal' reaction would be to take your child out of the game, file a complaint wiht the league AND NOT BEAT A MAN TO DEATH! </font>
In my opinion, a 'normal' reaction would be to punch him in the face.

Want proof. Ask anyone with a sister who's fairly close to their age why they got in their first fight.

I'm not saying that killing the coach was "the right thing to do", but when you start fucking around with other people's family... especially children, someone is gonna go bananas.

This dude went bananas. Unfortunatly for all involved, on top of being a little short man complex having shrimp, the coach had a soft head.

Talk about bad genes.
 

kuba

TRIBE Member
What the fuck is up with people here?

Since when is it normal to punch people in the head over stupid shit? This fatfuck Junto had a problem with his kid being roughed up at a stupid hockey game, so he ended up killing someone and that is a normal reaction? Hell, why didn't he teach his kid to beat the crap out of the opposing team?

This whole TonySopranomentality expressed by SOME of you here is afriggin' joke. Wait till some moron beats the fuck out of you for stepping on his toe, calling your sister a name, or some other useless shit that should be OVERLOOKED unless you have so much testosterone in your body that you cannot control yourself.

6-10 years is not ENOUGH if you ask me. The prosecution asked for double the normal rate (3-5) and thankfully got it.

And as for your judgement of "hysterical women", that too is moronic. It sounds like you are automatically making an assumption that them being women, they were hysterical because there was a fight. HELLO?!? The guy was twice his size I think they were hysterical because they KNEW he was going to DIE!

GHETTO!
 

Bass-Invader

TRIBE Member
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by qtip:

And as for your judgement of "hysterical women", that too is moronic. It sounds like you are automatically making an assumption that them being women, they were hysterical because there was a fight. HELLO?!? The guy was twice his size I think they were hysterical because they KNEW he was going to DIE!

GHETTO!
</font>
exactly why i pointed out that the court obviously doesnt agree with whoever posted the opinion about 'hysterical women'.
 
tribe magazine legacy photo exhibit

janiecakes

TRIBE Member
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Rosey:
and that's exactly what he got. the problem is that one of them was a "freak chance punch" (from the medical examiner) that killed him.
</font>
the defence's medical expert said that right?

the prosecutor's medical expert had a different opinion, didn't they?
 

Hi i'm God

TRIBE Member
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by qtip:
What the fuck is up with people here?

Since when is it normal to punch people in the head over stupid shit? This fatfuck Junto had a problem with his kid being roughed up at a stupid hockey game, so he ended up killing someone and that is a normal reaction? Hell, why didn't he teach his kid to beat the crap out of the opposing team?

This whole TonySopranomentality expressed by SOME of you here is afriggin' joke. Wait till some moron beats the fuck out of you for stepping on his toe, calling your sister a name, or some other useless shit that should be OVERLOOKED unless you have so much testosterone in your body that you cannot control yourself.

6-10 years is not ENOUGH if you ask me. The prosecution asked for double the normal rate (3-5) and thankfully got it.

And as for your judgement of "hysterical women", that too is moronic. It sounds like you are automatically making an assumption that them being women, they were hysterical because there was a fight. HELLO?!? The guy was twice his size I think they were hysterical because they KNEW he was going to DIE!

GHETTO!
</font>
So if someone attacts you and starts to wail on you you'll just take it?

Not disagree/agreeing just asking...
 

CC

TRIBE Member
this is such a hard situation. because i have no doubt that junta would have learned his lession if given a couple years. but then again most sentences are given as a deterant for other people who might commit crimes. so i don't know if that is fair. i do think he should have been found guilty though.

CC
 

seeker

TRIBE Member
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 416:
In my opinion, a 'normal' reaction would be to punch him in the face.
</font>
no, that's an _emotional_ reaction. mature adults should be able to control their emotions and respond to adversity in a _rational_ manner.

perhaps i should have used the term 'rational' in my earlier post.

nevertheless, the whole situation saddens me.
 
tribe magazine legacy photo exhibit

Bass-Invader

TRIBE Member
regardless of whether it was a freak punch or not, when you hurl your hand at someone's face you should, and will be held responsible for the outcome.
 

Angeles

TRIBE Member
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by basic:
So apparently now there are certain instances where it's ok for someone to beat someone else to death with thier bare hands.

</font>
Took the words right out of my mouth.
U of G kids know right from wrong!
 

R4V4G3D_SKU11S

TRIBE Member
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Hi i'm God:
So if someone attacts you and starts to wail on you you'll just take it?
</font>
"There was a scuffle inside the arena, Junta left, returned within 5 minutes and attcked Mr. Costa in the lobby, "

Doesn't sound like anyone was "wailing" on Junta in order to provoke him.

I don't think 6-10 years is too soft of a sentence for killing someone. Fuck lesson learning. The victim would have learned his lesson with some displine from the league. Instead he's dead. Junta has to pay the price.
 

Hal-9000

TRIBE Member
I find it interesting that Rosey and 416 (two big guys) are apprently having difficulties referring to the dead guy without using words like "shrimp" and "little shit" and pulling out the "short-man complex" business.

You'd think you guys were actually there are something.
 

kuba

TRIBE Member
[/QUOTE] So if someone attacts you and starts to wail on you you'll just take it?

Not disagree/agreeing just asking...

[/B][/QUOTE]

Excellent question.

There is a fineline between defending yourself succesfully, waiting for the cops to come, and let justice do (or undo) its course, and punching someone (kicking, slapping, throwing etc) until they die.

I think that all people have a sense or realization when that line is about to be crossed whether they are able to stop themselves or not.

I agree with a previous poster. The biggest effect of this decision is the precedent it is going to set. Obviously with the punishment being 6-10, people will think twice for killing someone in a fit of rage. But, it still allows people to do so in certain circumstances.

And don't bother trying to feed me medical expert BS. The entire American legal system is (Criminal legal and also Tort) based on "experts" who are more often than not providing testimony for money, and not for noteriety/fame.

Equate that to the Bay/Wall street stock analysts who issue Buy recommendations on stocks who their Banks/firms hold large interests in. It's called a conflict of interest. While there is no exact answer as to the medical science in Junto's case (was he attacked enough to warrant death), I would not hold too much faith in "EXPERTS"

word...

ps -- i love debates so dont take this personally all of you, imagine we were having a nice debate over beers/weed/coffee etc.
 
tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories
Top