• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

This shouldn't be a surprise to most of you

Sal De Ban

TRIBE Member
tumblr_lg3grnqd7x1qgllp5o1_500.jpg

Alex D. from TRIBE on Utility Room

videotronic

TRIBE Member
Y'know, people can be perfectly normal and not listen to or care to be informed of the latest goings on in the world of pop electronic superstars.

Your repeated belittling of those who claim to not be in the know makes you sound like a petulant teenager; apropos, considering the intended audience of the music.

what would dr gabor mate say about your passive aggressive dig at the end there?

octo

TRIBE Member
i've heard of calvin harris but wouldn't be able to recognize or name a song of his.

i just check "summer" on youtube. lol. that's some serious cheese. is that him in the video? he's "singing"? never heard it before.

if i heard it at a restaurant or store, i'd probably walk out.

octo

TRIBE Member
the last song i listened to today before that summer shit. was a disco edit of this Baris Manco tune

videotronic

TRIBE Member
[YOUTUBE]dGghkjpNCQ8[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]AtKZKl7Bgu0[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]17ozSeGw-fY[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]ooZwmeUfuXg[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]YzujNk-yYrE[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]tg00YEETFzg[/YOUTUBE]

like them or not you can't live in north america and not have heard these songs a zillion times over the past few years. impossible. 0% chance.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Beer babe

TRIBE Member
I don't know why you have such a boner for this guy, but go jerk off in another room. Clearly your statistics are wrong, as a bunch of people in this thread have not heard of him or the songs.

JamesM

TRIBE Member
Beer Babe has 0% experience with electronic music. Believe me. I've totally heard them all, with great pain. More or Less.

That makes your accuracy 100%.

kirstenmeows

TRIBE Member
Count me with the 'nope, never heard of him' crew, nor could I identify a Rhianna or Bieber (FFS!) track if I tried. I don't have cable, never listen to top 40 radio (or any other radio these days), or go to malls if I can help it. I wear my headphones almost religiously when out and about to drown out the crap I don't want to hear (and annoying sales people) with stuff I want to hear.

I like listening to and fully respect people with actual talent, people who don't require auto-tune, pro-tools, or back tracks to cover vocals (lip-synching is NEVER acceptable in my world) ,or so-called DJs who simply hit 'play'. Shit, I could make a mix tape (or CD, hey I matured in the 80's) and I don't give a flying f*ck about how someone dances onstage, the crowd in front will always be more entertaining. I love it when friends open my eyes to stuff that I might have missed, as they generally are on the same wave-length as me.

If I'm at an event with DJs spinning, I expect them to feel out the crowd and play stuff that gets everyone moving. If I go to a live band show, I fully expect them to play their own instruments (or actually sing!). I don't care about what they look like, I'm there for the aural experience.

It's time people got back to appreciating real talent, whether it be spinning vinyl, singing a song or playing an actual instrument. This pre-packaged BS has to end once and for all. Until then, I shall happily remain oblivious to the crap that is forced on the general public, while enjoying quality sounds that I have sought out either through recommendations from other people or through connections from stuff I already like. *end rant*

Beer babe

TRIBE Member
Beer Babe has 0% experience with electronic music. Believe me. I've totally heard them all, with great pain. More or Less.

That makes your accuracy 100%.

Awww, muffin, it's good to see you keep trying! Keep at it!

But seriously, dumbass, his point is that EVERYONE should have heard this as it's a radio hit being played in stores, malls etc. And there are people in this thread (beyond me) who are stating the contrary and that disproves his statement.

Now, put down that coffee and go open a beer. It's much easier than trying to think. *pats head*

praktik

TRIBE Member
The gf and I had to point out those stupid family stickers on the back of everyone's cars. My parents didn't pick up on the fact they'd been surrounded for years by this bullshit.

I didn't hear Daft Punk's "hit of the summer" until november last year...:)

Also I think the other poster is right on - in modern world we personalize our music so much we may have less osmosis. For some reason I can recall John Secada better than Calvin Harris. Couldn't get away from John fuckin' Secada - malls, haircuts, dentists... airports...

JamesM

TRIBE Member
Awww, muffin, it's good to see you keep trying! Keep at it!

But seriously, dumbass, his point is that EVERYONE should have heard this as it's a radio hit being played in stores, malls etc. And there are people in this thread (beyond me) who are stating the contrary and that disproves his statement.

Now, put down that coffee and go open a beer. It's much easier than trying to think. *pats head*

aw Beer babe I wasn't looking for a fight, sorry about that. Just I was a little perturbed with the go find somwhere else to jerk off comment.

My apologies. Hopefully we can set aside our differences moving forward. Not lying or anything like that. For real.

Beer babe

TRIBE Member
aw Beer babe I wasn't looking for a fight, sorry about that. Just I was a little perturbed with the go find somwhere else to jerk off comment.

My apologies. Hopefully we can set aside our differences moving forward. Not lying or anything like that. For real.

Muffin, are you back on the drugs again? Should I write a letter to your mom?

Drugs are bad, mmm'kay?

JamesM

TRIBE Member
This a complete fucking quadscore of bull honkey.

The blackmail queen is threating the same shit once again. I sent you a PM. Go ahead and write those hate letters to my family?? wat the

Seriously.

Beer babe

TRIBE Member
Someone call the waaaahmulance!

Give me a break, you're not interested in peace between us. I tried that for 7 years. This war has been ongoing because you are stuck in the past and can't forgive, accept you fucked up too and move on. So i will continue to have fun with that.

What's your home address in Kingston again?

erika

TRIBE Member
I do know Calvin Harris. And tiesto of course. And know Macdonald's. Millions of people know these but I really don't like their output be it music or "food"

djfear

TRIBE Member
Walk into this expecting to read more about overpaid underpaid djs, and then...

leaving-now-grandpa-simpsons.gif

Back on topic, I've heard of Calvin Harris simply from looking at all those big ass EDM party line ups, but to me it just seems like all the same shit. It's insane how these EDM djs are getting paid millions now, when before we still had big parties like WEMF, DEMF, the Miami one, but you didn't hear much about super star djs driving ferraris.

For the likes of calvin harris it seems that marketing is an even bigger component than the music itself.

Sal De Ban

TRIBE Member
"EDM" is nothing more than modern-day Dance Mix '95, Chris Sheppard Pirate Radio, Jock Jams, music. It's no better or worse than what was played on the radio 15-20 years ago. The intended audience is exactly the same, the style is exactly the same. It's just easier to churn out and distribute now, which is why these guys are making a killing. There's nothing wrong with any of this - since I don't have to listen to it if I don't want to!