• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

This just in: Toronto HOV lanes to become toll lanes.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Wynne says some HOV lanes for Pan Am Games could become toll routes

TORONTO — The Canadian Press

The temporary High Occupancy Vehicle lanes set up in the Toronto and Hamilton area for the Pan American Games will not become permanent, but they will likely return in the form of toll lanes.

Premier Kathleen Wynne says she wants to apply lessons learned from the HOV lanes set up this summer on the Queen Elizabeth Way, some 400-series highways, the Gardiner Expressway and Don Valley Parkway to creating toll lanes.

Wynne says the Liberals have made it clear they intend to create toll lanes that would let motorists without any passengers pay to use HOV lanes normally reserved for vehicles with at least one passenger.

She says money from new toll lanes would be an important source of revenue to help fund the Liberals $130-billion, 10-year transit and infrastructure plan.

Toronto Mayor John Tory says the city must eventually decide whether to toll lanes on the municipally governed Gardiner Expressway and Don Valley Parkway, but the 235 kilometres of temporary HOV lanes will be removed after the Games end in August.

Tory says the city will wait until the province decides where its new toll lanes will go so the two governments could create what he calls a sensible network for drivers.

praktik

TRIBE Member
The War on the Car is back in full effect!

Is there anyone who will stand up for the drivers out there?? And what about the hard working Canadian taxpayer???

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
The Ontario government is so in the hole from mismanagement and overspending on retarded ideas and schemes to pad the pockets of their cronies and the credit rating is dropping fast I suspect this will be the first of many "new initiatives" to further suck us dry.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Zorro

TRIBE Member
Fuck I Knew it. Last night "they" told the press how well everything was running and that traffic was now settled in and moving at almost it's regular pace.

I knew right then what those lies were setting up.

I live at Jarvis south of front. I own a car. I need it to get to work. Those are lies they are telling. My normal commute at 6:30/7am is 30 minutes. Last 3 weeks. IF there isn't an accident. Is 1/1.5 hours. IF there is an accident. Like today it's worse because you still can't use the HOV lanes till you arrive near the accident.

I don't drive around the city. I can walk to everything.

I am not a fan of this idea at all.

praktik

TRIBE Member
The Ontario government is so in the hole from mismanagement and overspending on retarded ideas and schemes to pad the pockets of their cronies and the credit rating is dropping fast I suspect this will be the first of many "new initiatives" to further suck us dry.
I know! I just wish they respected taxpayers - trying to put food on table!

Is there a welfare cheat we can all shame somewhere too??

KickIT

TRIBE Member
I commute from Leslieville to Etobicoke everyday and I'm not experiencing the 2 to 3 times increase in commute times that you are. Things are slow between Spadina to Jamieson, then pick up again until Humber. There is a brutal backup at the 427 though and I often jump off at Kipling and take Evans Rd over to the 427 and then its fine. In fact I'd say my commute is marginally better, especially when driving home.

Let's see how things work when the HOV is adjusted to 2+ occupants. The distribution of vehicles will be better.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

kyfe

TRIBE Member
so if you have one toll lane/HOV on the highway of 3+ lanes how will that work and how will you collect the funds?
how will you stop people from hopping in/out that do not pay to use.

praktik

TRIBE Member
^^ which is why Ontario can't have nice things.

Being allergic to tolls and taxes to pay for nice things means we can't have nice things, like better highway and public transit networks

People would let Ontario crumble if it meant they could afford a higher car payment every month, even if it's just to drive it into the next gridlock mess

SneakyPete

TRIBE Member
^^ which is why Ontario can't have nice things.

Being allergic to tolls and taxes to pay for nice things means we can't have nice things, like better highway and public transit networks

People would let Ontario crumble if it meant they could afford a higher car payment every month, even if it's just to drive it into the next gridlock mess
That's assuming HOT lanes will make money.

coleridge

TRIBE Member
I commute from Leslieville to Etobicoke everyday and I'm not experiencing the 2 to 3 times increase in commute times that you are. Things are slow between Spadina to Jamieson, then pick up again until Humber. There is a brutal backup at the 427 though and I often jump off at Kipling and take Evans Rd over to the 427 and then its fine. In fact I'd say my commute is marginally better, especially when driving home.

Let's see how things work when the HOV is adjusted to 2+ occupants. The distribution of vehicles will be better.
I too do this drive regularily. Fortunately I work from home a lot and when I do drive to the office in north-west Mississauga, I do it outside of peak times.

I have noticed that there's been a big decrease in traffic this month as people have been on vacation and probably generally adjusting their schedules because of Pan-Am. If these HOV lanes still existed come September, it would be a disaster.

coleridge

TRIBE Member
so if you have one toll lane/HOV on the highway of 3+ lanes how will that work and how will you collect the funds?
Billing you for entering an HOV lane isn't too hard. It can be done with cameras at regular enough intervals.

For you to not get charged if you have multiple passengers is the tricky part. Only system I know of is that you pre-register as an HOV vehicle and if they catch you in there without the passengers you are charged and banned from being registered for a period of time.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
They will have to spend 1 billion at least on a special consulting group staffed by ex politicians and Liberal ball washers to study this. Then they will appoint some unheard of company to install the tolling system which will cost 10x more than necessary and be rife with corruption.

Snuffy

TRIBE Member
Thank goodness they're making motorists pay. It's about time. Cars and trucks are moving weapons that kill innocent pedestrians. Also, those vehicles spew toxic fumes. If you were to run a car in a closed room, it would kill everyone inside.

Motorists are worse than smokers and murderers!

MAKE THEM PAY!!!!

basketballjones

TRIBE Member
Ontario has more debt than California now.
I know! I just wish they respected taxpayers - trying to put food on table!

Is there a welfare cheat we can all shame somewhere too??
im happy that you are so flush that you can weather the continual taxes, fees, levies, etc to be so glib
just wait til the orrp and the cap and rape gets introduced

but hey, we can maybe sometime in the next millenium get a 6 pack at the local grocery store

ontarios new slogan should be
no pocket un-picked

basketballjones

TRIBE Member
Billing you for entering an HOV lane isn't too hard. It can be done with cameras at regular enough intervals.

For you to not get charged if you have multiple passengers is the tricky part. Only system I know of is that you pre-register as an HOV vehicle and if they catch you in there without the passengers you are charged and banned from being registered for a period of time.
and how much bureaucracy is it going to take to get this new scheme up and running

look out greece...here we come !

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
I think they should toll the entire road, and not look for some half-assed measure to toll 1 lane of each road that will end up costing more money. Then with the money raised from the road tolls, 100% should go to public transit spending and not go into some giant slush fund for whoever is in power and their cronies. That would make me happy.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders