1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

This Is the Future of the Fight Against Cancer

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by glych t.anomaly, Mar 24, 2010.

1. glych t.anomaly

glych t.anomaly TRIBE Member

[​IMG]

Link

Look close. You may be staring at the end of cancer. Those tiny black dots are nanobots delivering a lethal blow to a cancerous cell, effectively killing it. The first trial on humans have been a success, with no side-effects:

Those are the words of Mark Davis, head of the research team that created the nanobot anti-cancer army at the California Institute of Technology. According to a study to be published in Nature, Davis' team has discovered a clean, safe way to deliver RNAi sequences to cancerous cells. RNAi (Ribonucleic acid interference) is a technique that attacks specific genes in malign cells, disabling functions inside and killing them.

[​IMG]

The 70-nanometer attack bots—made with two polymers and a protein that attaches to the cancerous cell's surface—carry a piece of RNA called small-interfering RNA (siRNA), which deactivates the production of a protein, starving the malign cell to death. Once it has delivered its lethal blow, the nanoparticle breaks down into tiny pieces that get eliminated by the body in the urine.

The most amazing thing is that you can send as many of these soldiers as you want, and they will keep attaching to the bad guys, killing them left, right, and center, and stopping tumors. According to Davis, "the more [they] put in, the more ends up where they are supposed to be, in tumour cells." While they will have to finish the trials to make sure that there are no side-effects whatsoever, the team is very happy with the successful results and it's excited about what's coming:

What's so exciting is that virtually any gene can be targeted now. Every protein now is druggable. My hope is to make tumours melt away while maintaining a high quality of life for the patients. We're moving another step closer to being able to do that now.
    Hopefully, they will be right.

Science is amazing !!!

[jai]

2. Dirty Girl

Dirty Girl TRIBE Member

is this a real thing, or one of the joke ones you always post that you get from I dont know where... like superheroes pub party?

3. glych t.anomaly

glych t.anomaly TRIBE Member

the superhero pub is an actual picture taken by google. so its funny, but real.

this as well is real, and i dont find it so much funny as amazing.

it could cure cancer !!!

[jai]

4. Hi i'm God

Hi i'm God TRIBE Member

Could or Does?

5. artemis

artemis TRIBE Member

hazaah nanobots!

Nanotech is really going to change the lay of the medical land... among other parts.

6. Bumbaclat

Bumbaclat TRIBE Member

That's amazing.

7. lok

lok TRIBE Member

"No side effects" is the real kicker with stuff like this but if I had some kind of cancer Id take the wager!

8. NemIsis

NemIsis TRIBE Member

You have just satiated my geek/nerd side. Love this and very cool.

9. basketballjones

basketballjones TRIBE Member

there is no money in finding a cure, so a cure will never be found

10. Musical Rush

Musical Rush TRIBE Member

Unless they're going to unleash a new disease, that'll make having cancer look like a cold. I know there's other research going on in Florida where they're using radio waves to kill cancer.

11. basketballjones

basketballjones TRIBE Member

shouldnt aids have supplanted cancer as the it drug for pharm companies then?

and whatever happened to h1n1, thought it was the second coming of the plague
    also hoof and mouth, sars, avian flu...etc

12. Bass-Invader

Bass-Invader TRIBE Member

how do these things identify cancer cells?

13. lobo

lobo TRIBE Member

Something with the RNA sequence or the cancer cells (I think). They're somehow unique and different than other cells.

Lobo

14. Bass-Invader

Bass-Invader TRIBE Member

Is that true? I was under the impression that they were yet to find anything like that that could identify all cancers...even different tumors of the same cell type. Well other than the fact that cancer likes to eat lots.

15. lucky1

lucky1 TRIBE Member

cancer is a collection of different diseases / triggers / gentic disposition so I don't think they will ever find a cure for all cancer individual care based on genetics is new treatment, and stem cells.

16. judge wopner

judge wopner TRIBE Member

glucose uptake is generally higher in cancerous cells.

from The Cell Biology journal:

17. PAUZE

PAUZE TRIBE Promoter

Win. Everyday we hear of a cancer cure, just watch the evening news.