• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

This is my worst nightmare: stuck in a 600 sq foot condo with a wife and screaming baby.

Primavera

TRIBE Member
I don't know if I would call it a "nightmare".

People make their own choices in life Alex.

You made yours to be your age and wife/childless, they made theirs.

ravinjunkie

TRIBE Member
Alex, you're funny. I LOL'd.

This is my fav

"Then she met a guy. A great guy, Paul LeBrun, a Winnipeg native who’d landed in Toronto with a Bay Street securities job".

Toronto lacks manly men in general.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
As I said in a facebook post, the dude looks like he was hit on the head with a mallet.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
"If it wasn't for my brand new MacBook Pro Retina and flat screen TV, I would have hung myself from the jolly jumper long ago," said mallet dude.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
"When little Joffrey starts bringing back girlfriends in a few years time we will just use earplugs and wear eyemasks," said his wife Scarfy.

Primavera

TRIBE Member
"We used to host dinner parties, but then we got afraid of wine-stains on our multi-coloured kid friendly padded ikea jigsaw flooring. So now we host play-dates with other children in the condo in our hallway. The parents talk while our babies stare at each other. Our childless neighbours walk by to go to the pool or the jays game or the bar. We were once like them - full of life. My husband Mallet has agreed to forgo getting a new iPad so that we can purchase The Complete Clifford the Big Red Dog collection"

Ho||yw0oD

TRIBE Member
People make value judgments. For this couple, it may look like proximity to work, shops, etc. > space.

My wife and I are currently in a similar situation. For me, space is more important. For her, proximity to work is more important. We cannot have both unless we start earning much more money.

Throw in the fact that in 3 years we'll likely be on the way to having a child, it will only get more complicated.

Liability

TRIBE Member
Wow, some interestingly judgmental comments.

As the article points out, there are many countries where raising children in this type of space is standard. The problem with our city is many condos are not laid out well in terms of space usage or configuration.

That being said we live in a 2 bedroom with a now almost 3 year old. Given, our place is 1200 sq feet, but it can more than be done.

Our choice was simple, maintain location, not house poor, no interest in doing outdoor type maintenance.

djfear

TRIBE Member
You know what's a nightmare? Go on maps.google.ca, hit the traffic button and you'll be awash with the colour of blood all over this city. Semi and detached homes are simply not an option for a lot of people in the city, but you have to pick the lesser of two evils (space vs commute).

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Mr. Magyar

TRIBE Member

You made yours to be your age and wife/childless, they made theirs.
Actually, it is a nightmare. Most people abide by the signposts of life and then regret it. The number of married men with kids who say they wish they had my life is pretty astounding.

Maui

TRIBE Member

Actually it's pretty crazy how often the choice of having kids is made for Men regardless of whether they ever want to have kids or not.

I feel I've been lucky to make it this far in life without some bitch dropping a kid on me and having to fork over half my paycheque for the rest of eternity. I know all too many where this is the case and they live miserable lives.

Spinsah

TRIBE Member
Actually it's pretty crazy how often the choice of having kids is made for Men regardless of whether they ever want to have kids or not.
I'm pretty sure us men need to have an active part in the initial conception. In most cases you're choosing to copulate.

Mr. Magyar

TRIBE Member
I'm pretty sure us men need to have an active part in the initial conception. In most cases you're choosing to copulate.
Well, if the woman is pressuring you to have kids and you're married, unless you want a divorce ... And then there is the old "I'm on birth control" trick.

Maui

TRIBE Member
Exactly^^^ and that's not the only trick by a long shot. Women are resourceful and conniving when they want to have a baby. It's scary.

Polymorph

TRIBE Member
I dunno, methinks there are many reasons why you should love your squawking child, regardless of the conditionels...

1) It has your face on it! And what could you love more than that! Your little pudgy baby face staring back at you!

2) It may grow up to inherit the earth! well, what's left of it anyways. But in the meantime, this child might be your old age legacy! Aka the one to pay for your funeral and whatever other bankruptcy expenses you incur, and perhaps proceed to go on to do great things in the name of commerce! Thus extending your legacy, with pride and glory!
or not. it could go either way. But stick with the 1st script!

3) Your child has these glory wonder years, where everything is new and fascinating and wonderful, and it reminds you of why you loved The Hulk and creepy crawly spiders in the 1st place! Before the ilk of Harper and his neo-cons came along and wrecked everything with their shit-retard jobs and bullshit economies, not to mention them nihilistic brownie suicide bomber types over there.... But that's later, when your child is more mature to understand the fucked up-ed-ness of the world. But in the meantime, HULK SMASH! woot.

hmmm.. I could go on............

Snuffy

TRIBE Member
The only reason why I'd want a kid is for an excuse to visit "Wild Water Kingdom" and not feel like I'm Mr. Bean.

Polymorph

TRIBE Member
The only reason why I'd want a kid is for an excuse to visit "Wild Water Kingdom" and not feel like I'm Mr. Bean.
Ha. It came up once with a client around 15 years ago.... she had two tweenie (10-12 year old) daughters who really wanted to go see The Spice Girls. And she (the mom-client) couldn't make it. I almost put up my hand, saying "Hey, I'll chaperone them! cuz guess what? I really want to see The Spice Girls too!" And I'd've felt like a total pedo-perv going to that show alone. Yes. Surrogate kids are good for some things....