• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

This is a mayoral campaign thread, not for the tabloid stuff

Who will you vote for in October?

• Doug Ford

Votes: 4 6.5%
  • John Tory

Votes: 24 38.7%
  • Olivia Chow

Votes: 27 43.5%
  • Other

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Not voting

Votes: 6 9.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

erika

TRIBE Member
Soknacki has just released his latest, after releasing an interesting and comprehensive housing policy last week.

It makes sense to me: I just got back from Paris where there is coverage pretty well throughout the system. That's what we need, not wifi in stations!

News - Soknacki

Post your preferred policy statements in here, let's see which ones stick.

kyfe

TRIBE Member
I'm glad some of you are finally realizing that there is one viable candidate.
If the guy wasn't soooo vanilla he'd be a lock already.

Soknacki

Primavera

TRIBE Member
Good ideas, maybe the best candidate in some ways, but face it with 5% support and the election 3 months away, there is just no chance whatsoever he will win.

kyfe

TRIBE Member
Good ideas, maybe the best candidate in some ways, but face it with 5% support and the election 3 months away, there is just no chance whatsoever he will win.
and that's because of people making comments like this and not supporting candidates based on their platform.

To me that looks like stupidity/sheeple (voting based on how everyone else if voting)

DJ Vuvu Zela

TRIBE Member
To me that looks like stupidity/sheeple (voting based on how everyone else if voting)
to me it looks like accepting reality.

i like his platform. he is probably the best choice. if he has any legitimate chance of winning i'll vote for him, but if he is still polling like this next month I hope he withdraws and throws his support behind Chow (who shares the central plank of his platform of returning to the scarborough LRT plan).

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

djfear

TRIBE Member
The funny thing is, at 5% (for last polling), if he even increased that by 10-15% then he would become a very real threat to all of the other candidates, since the likes of Ford only have about 25%, and any additional votes would be taken from those other candidates.

I think at this point I'm evenly split between voting for Chow or Soknacki.

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
Have to agree, i would love to vote for him and get him in power with the platform and ideas he is bringing, but if i have to strategically vote to ensure BLOB FORD is not relected, there is pretty much no choice.

BLOBS are worse than throwing my vote to someone that in the polls is not doing well enough to be a threat.

it sucks since we dont have the Ranked Ballot system in place !

derek

TRIBE Member
chow seems ill prepared and unable to succinctly get her message across, i suspect a lot of boondoggling if she were to be Mayor (because she's nice and will try to please everyone)

soknacki's platform looks good but i'm with others in it's probably too late for him to garner enough support.

tory is looking like the best candidate for the job imo.

djfear

TRIBE Member
Have to agree, i would love to vote for him and get him in power with the platform and ideas he is bringing, but if i have to strategically vote to ensure BLOB FORD is not relected, there is pretty much no choice.

BLOBS are worse than throwing my vote to someone that in the polls is not doing well enough to be a threat.

it sucks since we dont have the Ranked Ballot system in place !
Jai, and guess who wants to bring in ranked ballot voting? ;) But yah... it sucks... unless we start a grass roots endeavor to get him voted in.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Ho||yw0oD

TRIBE Member
tory is looking like the best candidate for the job imo.
Agreed, 100%. He is a true progressive conservative and I believe him to be disciplined enough that we can finally have some structure at City Hall.

He will cater to municipal and regional business interests while not showing complete disregard for many of the social needs of the city.

kyfe

TRIBE Member
Hai Guyz,

I have a great idea, lets get rid of a mistake by making another mistake, albeit more tolerable.

#Popularity contest

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
So what is your solution then?

you want everyone on Tribe to vote for Socknaki, whats that, going to add maybe .375 % to the polls?

the first mistake Toronto made was electing a fuck tard.

if you have the opportunity to replace said fucktard, with someone that while not as optimal as Socknaki, is still a far more reasonable and viable Mayoral Candidate, how is that a mistake?

we cant get everyone to vote logically or with reason, they vote based upon their personal values, preference and probably advice from their peers.

if i see that the only way to get someone that is so damaging to our city out of office, by voting not for my first choice, but for my second, is that not stopping the trends of mistakes?

acheron

TRIBE Member
Soknacki for Toronto Mayor in 2018!

Get the Fords out of the way first, elect Tory to repair the damage and then Socks in 2018 to get things moving forward again.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

DJ Vuvu Zela

TRIBE Member
Soknacki for Toronto Mayor in 2018!

Get the Fords out of the way first, elect Tory to repair the damage and then Socks in 2018 to get things moving forward again.
Tory supports the scarborough subway. That's over a billion dollars wasted on something that would provide less service. He'd do more damage than Chow.

(mind you, if it came down to Tory or Ford i would gladly choose there former).

Ho||yw0oD

TRIBE Member
Tory supports the scarborough subway. That's over a billion dollars wasted on something that would provide less service. He'd do more damage than Chow.

(mind you, if it came down to Tory or Ford i would gladly choose there former).
But doesn't Tory support a Scarborough subway coupled with a retrofit of existing GO lines and at a same cost to the rider as TTC? Sounds pretty good to me.

Riding on the SRT multiple times a week, I'll tell you that probably 80% of passengers go Kennedy-Scarborough Centre. Most are not getting off at stops in between.

Also, because the plan looks to extend service to the north on both east and west ends of the TTC it would probably reduce a noticeable amount of ridership on the Yonge-University-Spadina (a.k.a. Line 1) line.

praktik

TRIBE Member
At least Tory can talk about his subway plans with some attention to detail and in the context of a plan to make it work.

I say this as a likely non-Tory guy - but he can string a sentence together and can offer more than jingoism.

We are certainly in far worse hands today. That Ford stuff on transit this week was ridiculous: I want to build 2 new subways and have no plan for it, I just want them!

That leaves his mouth as if its perfectly normal to talk so casually about such capital intensive projects.

kuba

TRIBE Member
I'm torn, kyfe. I want to vote for Socnkaki as well but I don't see how it would help the true cause, which is to vote ford OUT. And to do that, I will vote for choice #2 which is Tory.

The world isn't ready for Socknaki (yet), unfortunately. Not our little bubble world.

kerouacdude

TRIBE Member
Let's not act like he's the dream candidate here. Guy declared before anyone and yet it seemed him and his team weren't that prepared to effectively deliver his message in media settings. Seemingly no recognition at all that you gotta hit voters in the amygdala and at the gut level.

I've watched a couple of debates and when given the choice between a nice concise answer/zinger and a long-winded wonk answer with stats, he'll choose the latter. (I'll admit he's getting slightly better at this, but he doesn't have the time for just incremental improvements.) I was bemused at the Tamil centre debate in Scarborough when he thought cycling and green space were things that audience wanted to hear about. Struck me as tone deaf, whatever the merits of those ideas in general.

We can bemoan the fact you can't win elections on logic and ideas alone, but that's the reality. I hope Soknacki gets tapped for a nice position at some key Toronto agency or body and helps contribute to this city. I just don't see him as mayor material at all.

DJ Vuvu Zela

TRIBE Member
But doesn't Tory support a Scarborough subway coupled with a retrofit of existing GO lines and at a same cost to the rider as TTC? Sounds pretty good to me.
Tory's Smart 'Track' plan is interesting, but it's also a pipe dream at this moment in time. Even his own numbers puts the cost at over $8 billion, which is massive. The plan would have to be studied in depth to see how efficient it would actually be (i believe it may have to share the line with GO and CN cars) and what the real cost would be.

But that's separate from the scarborough subway line. There was numerous studies already, and the expert opinion was LRT was a better solution that offered more service to more people. It also would disrupt less traffic during construction for less time. It really should be a no brainer.

SneakyPete

TRIBE Member
Sarah Thomson was woken up at 12:30am by a robocall...her own robocall.

Mayoral candidate Sarah Thomson robocalls residents at 1:00 a.m. | Toronto Star
Mayoral candidate Sarah Thomson robocalls residents at 1:00 a.m.
Presidential candidate Hillary Clinton ran a campaign ad that told voters she would be good at responding to phone calls in the middle of the night.

Mayoral candidate Sarah Thomson is making phone calls to voters in the middle of the night.

Thomson unleashed a wave of campaign robocalls between midnight and 1:30 a.m. on Friday, awakening, frightening and angering people around the city. The longshot who has taken to riding a horse for the sake of publicity said the timing of the blitz was an accident — and that she was herself awakened, at 12:30 a.m., by her own wayward call.

“I apologize to all + anyone who was woken by a robocall — I’ve personally called the company and had them stopped,” she wrote on Twitter.

In a subsequent interview via Twitter message, she said didn’t know exactly what happened. The robocalls, she said, were scheduled for a regular evening hour.

She then, immediately, lobbied for an article on her political platform.

“Went out at 7:15 p.m., but it looks like it stopped at 7:30 p.m., started again at 12:30 a.m. Can’t you write about my congestion policy I announced today?” she said.

Entertainment photographer Dominic Chan said a 12:45 a.m. call woke up his 4-year-old son. He has already filed a complaint with the CRTC.

“It’s elections, right, so we’re expecting these kind of phone calls, it is what it is, but at 12:45 a.m., you gotta be serious. You expect some kind of emergency phone call, you don’t expect an advertisement,” he said.

“It was just a run-of-the-mill election call,” said Christine Baldacchino, who was called around 12:50. “My husband hung up pretty quickly when he realized what it was. We were both pretty angry. When the landline rings so late, you can’t help but think it’s an emergency, that something’s happened to someone.”

Chan said the call invited him to a Sunday barbecue with Thomson. Baldacchino said she wasn’t sure what the call said: her husband hung up too fast.

Farzana Doctor, a novelist and psychotherapist, said she got two calls, at 12:52 a.m. and 1:10 a.m. She ended her Twitter post on the matter with the hashtag “#crappycampaign.”

alexd

Administrator
Staff member

This is an interesting development. You know, when a guy who has been a Toronto City Councillor for like 30 years (TERM LIMITS FOR CITY COUNCIL!!!!), he must have some sense of which way the winds are blowing to insure his continued death grip on his own office chair.

^ His supporters! Woohooo! Or are they his office staff?

John Tory picks up his first councillor endorsement

BY DON PEAT

"I think Rob Ford is totally out of gas when it comes to his ability to work with the members of city council and to work with the other governments," Tory said in a press conference outside the Sheppard subway station.

"To be able to work with Councillor Filion and many other members of city council and the other governments is going to be a fundamentally important thing for me."

Tory saluted Filion's "continuous commitment to neighbourhoods" and his commitment to "what was right for the community" to rather than the ideology behind ideas.

"That's why I'm running for mayor, I want to go to City Hall and stop all the backbiting and the fighting and the polarization and start doing the right things for the city each and every day," Tory said.

Both Filion and Tory denied they'd made a deal around the endorsement regarding a committee chairman appointment after the election.

"It's 70 some odd days until the election and I'm going to be focusing on winning and on trying to work with members of council and the other governments when I get there," Tory said.

Asked about Ford's prediction that he'll be able to work with council again if re-elected because at least 15 new councillors would be elected, Tory maintained the mayor can't work with council or other levels of government.

"We need somebody who is going to be able to go to both Prime Minister (Stephen) Harper and the Conservative government in Ottawa and to (Premier) Kathleen Wynne and the Liberal government at Queen's Park."

Filion applauded Tory's SmartTrack transit plan that would use mostly existing surface rail lines for electric rail service into and out of the downtown core.

"I fully endorse John's SmartTrack program, I think we have to find solutions that do not direct everybody onto Yonge St.," Filion said. "John is the right guy, he is properly positioned, he has the background, he has the talent. I have no doubt that he will be able to work with council and all parts of council and get this city behind him - we haven't had that in a very long time."

The Willowdale (Ward 23) councillor said he has been "increasingly dismayed" at the polarization he's seen in the city and on council.

"People being divided by where they live, people being divided by artificial left-right splits and I think that has been both unfortunate and unhealthy and completely unnecessary," Filion said. "I think John (Tory) is the guy who can kind of get us settled in a comfortable spot in the centre or slightly right of centre and really unite the city.

"If we keep having the pendulum swings … the internal war in the city and on council is just going to continue unnecessarily and it really impedes us getting on with business."

Filion said he's been intending to support Tory "all along."

He declined to say why he's not endorsing Olivia Chow.

"I don't want to speak ill of anyone," Filion said.

"I am supporting John because I think he's the right guy for mayor in 2014. I hope he wins but there is still a ways to go before Oct. 27."

David Soknacki's campaign was quick to jump on the Tory's campaign claim that Filion was "the first member of city council to endorse a mayoral candidate."

"Today, the Tory campaign also knowingly misled voters on Mr. Tory’s ability to unite the City," Soknacki's campaign stated in a press release.

"As Tory’s campaign knows, Councillors Gloria Lindsay Luby and Paul Ainslie endorsed David Soknacki for Mayor on January 13th, back when Tory was still insisting he wasn’t a candidate for the office.

"If Tory’s standard of ‘public endorsement’ is used, David Soknacki still has twice as many endorsements from sitting councillors as Mr. Tory, which may partly be a reflection of Mr. Tory’s inexperience in municipal office. No one has ever been elected Mayor of Toronto without previously serving on a metro-area Council or on Toronto city council."

The Soknacki campaign doubted the Tory campaign would acknowledge its "misleading error."

Councillor Denzil Minnan-Wong called Filion's endorsement of Tory "significant."

"It shows an erosion of Olivia Chow's support," Minnan-Wong said. "It's an indication that Olivia Chow's offering is losing more and more appeal."

from the Sun

erika

TRIBE Member
So we can all agree she's a non-starter :p
I'm wondering who will drop out after Labour Day and whether they will actually endorse another candidate.

I'm particularly interested in seeing what Morgan Baskin does, because she has mobilized a reasonable amount of young voters who might otherwise not bother.