• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

This has to be a scam!!!!!

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
http://www.doublechaser.com/default.htm

Welcome to the new era of drinking –
family, friends, warm feelings –
safe, responsible consumption –
designated drivers –
waking up feeling fine with Chaser.
Chaser absorbs hangover-causing
toxins helping you wake up alert,
refreshed and ready to start your day.
Chaser is clinically tested and proven
to prevent 17 hangover symptoms.
Its ingredients are Generally
Recognized as Safe (GRAS) by the
FDA – with no stimulants or
painkillers.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Bumbaclat

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Bumbaclat
ingredient list?
Q: What are Chaser hangover pills made of?
A: Chaser is a patent-pending formula of activated calcium carbonate and vegetable carbon (activated charcoal). Calcium carbonate is the active ingredient in most calcium supplements and antacids. Vegetable carbon has been used for centuries to absorb toxins and is still used in hospitals today. Both ingredients are Generally Recognized As Safe (GRAS) by the FDA.

AshG

Originally posted by Ditto Much
http://www.doublechaser.com/default.htm

Welcome to the new era of drinking –
family, friends, warm feelings –
safe, responsible consumption –
designated drivers –
waking up feeling fine with Chaser.
Chaser absorbs hangover-causing
toxins helping you wake up alert,
refreshed and ready to start your day.
Chaser is clinically tested and proven
to prevent 17 hangover symptoms.
Its ingredients are Generally
Recognized as Safe (GRAS) by the
FDA – with no stimulants or
painkillers.

sure its safe, but does the FDA say its effective?
of course not.

diet supplements are one of the only consumables that the FDA has little control over, and this may very well fall into this category.

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
I saw the commercial on television not ten minutes ago. So I went online and checked the site. What a brilliant scam how many people would send in the 2.95 for the pill free sample that costs 75 cents to buy and mail.

who cares if it works if you can sell 300,000 in the world you're still making a nice little pocket.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Karim

TRIBE Member
I just saw this ad and it sparked my curiosity. They're gonna start selling them in stores. If they're making the effort to put these out in retail outlets, they've got to depend on repeat customers in order to stay in business, and repeat customers only buy if the product is effective. So this could actually work if the manufacturer has enough faith in it to put it into retail distribution.

Anyone have the chance to try it?

:)
Karim

TaCk OnE?

TRIBE Member
actually Daily Planet did a spot on those pills, and they actually work to some degree. some brands (didn't mention any by name) better than others though.

but none as well and just making sure you're not totally dehydrated the next morning...

enjiro

TRIBE Member
For those that are interested in knowing what exactally is going on when you have a hangover:

http://health.howstuffworks.com/hangover.htm

The Coles Notes verion, however, is as follows:

* Dehydration. Alcohol is a diuretic (for each 250ml of alcohol consumed your body expels 800-1000ml of water)

* Loss of salts, potassium and glycogen. These are all used to help correct nerve and muscle function. Without the correct amount you get nausea and headaches.

* The "toxins" these guys talk about are congeners - a byproduct of the fermentation processess. Generally the darker the liquid the more of this stuff is present. Red wine being the worst, vodka being the "best."

* When your body metabolises alcohol it produces a lovely thing called acetaldehyde! Eventually your liver breaks this down into acetate (similar to vinegar) BUT after a while your body can no longer break it down and it starts to build up in the body. This is one of the things that causes you to puke your guts up.

* The morning after a drinking binge you may be feeling more than a little fatigued, anxious, restless or have tremors. This is because of something called glutamine rebound. Alcohol surpresses the production of glutamine, which is your body's natural stimulant. Once all the alcohol is through your system your body goes into double-time production of glutamine. This prevents you from sleeping correctly which in turn generates the above problems...

Some cures from the site:

* Eat burnt toast! This is what the pill they're trying to sell you is based on. The carbon in the burned bread acts as a filter and reacts to the congener molecules (described above) so your body can deal with them.

The article actually mentions these pills and says they're a good thing to try. You can get general activated charcoal pills out there too which will probably cost less and do the same thing..

Interesting side note: When you go to the hospital for drinking too much they pump your stomach full of a carbon mixture which prevents you from dying.

-j

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

beaker

TRIBE Member
i tried an anti-hangover pill one time and i think it sort of worked. i didn't feel like running a marathon or anything but i felt slightly better than i normally would have. these things are very subjective though.

enjiro

TRIBE Member
Here are a couple more things from the site that will help with hangovers..

* Drink water!

* Eat eggs. They have a large amount of cysteine which breaks down acetaldehyde, one of the main chemicals that makes you feel like ass.

* Eat Bananas. They contain potassium. Kiwi fruit or sports drinks will work too.

* Fruit juices will help.

THINGS THAT ARE BAD!

* coffee. Do. Not. Drink. It will temporarily help (by constricting the size of your blood vessels) but in the long term makes the hangover a lot worse.

THINGS THAT ARE NEUTRAL

* Fatty food. It won't do anything for you after drinking, but if you eat it before hand it'll help.

-j

PosTMOd

Well-Known TRIBEr
Originally posted by beaker
i tried an anti-hangover pill one time and i think it sort of worked.
Placebo effect, which interestingly works even if you know that you are taking a placebo.

It's really a fun thing to harness, this tricking your own brain thing. Just try to not turn it into a full blown somatoform disorder.

adorablehomeboy

TRIBE Promoter
found this

http://www.summertan.com/Rebound Anti Hangover Pill.htm

"3) Scavenging unmetabolized acetaldehyde. L-Glutamine and L-Cysteine research has shown that antioxidants containing a form of sulfur called a sulfhydryl group are effective in scavenging acetaldehyde that has not been metabolized into acetic acid. Two important antioxidants in this group are Cysteine and Glutiathione. Glutathione and Cysteine are aldehyde scavengers and may be used by the body to "mop up" acetaldehyde. The REBOUND formula includes one such antioxidant, L-Cysteine, in addition to the glutiathione building-block supplement L-Glutamine. Glutathione that is stored in the liver can be manufactured by the liver using the raw materials glycine, glutamine and cysteine. Because glutathione supplements are poorly absorbed, the formula includes the raw materials L-Glutamine and L-Cysteine, to aid the liver in manufacturing it's own glutathione. Vitamin-C as Calcium Ascorbate, Vitamin B-1 as Thiamine, and L-Cysteine are included as agents to counteract the toxic effects of Acetaldehyde. In one test, a group of rats were given a lethal dose of LD-90 acetaldehyde, with a fatality rate of 90 percent. A second group of rats were administered a solution of vitamin C, thiamine and cysteine, and all survived. Conclusion: these three supplements proved effective in combating toxic levels of acetaldehyde. Calcium Ascorbate is substituted for ascorbic acid since it is known to be less irritating to the stomach lining."

So you don't have to by the pills...help me out here...

To "mop up" acetaldehyde you need to eat eggs-cysteine and l-glutamine (I also use this when working out).

To counteract the toxic effects you are feeling, Vitamin B1, B12, and C are good. Same with Potassium (bananas).

I have found that eating bananas helps. Didn't know about glutamine. Or burnt toast.