• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Think this is possible or am i neurotic

swilly

TRIBE Member
OK for some reason i cant really study in my room. I thought maybe it was the lights so i bought a 200 watt halogen lamp. Then that didint do it so bought another one. Still didint do it. So i painted the room a light egg shell blue and then bought 4 200 watt light blubs to have in addition to my other lamps.2 went into the light fixture overhead and then another 1 for my desk lamp and then one for spare.

But for some reason i still cant study in my room. I have realized now it is not the lights as i light up the hallway with all the light in my room.

So i was thinking maybe its the carpeting. we had this really hard old smelly carpetting last term. but over xmas we got some new soft plushy stuff and i kinda feel wierd in my chair when i am reading on it. Like its too soft. I think maybe think being an academic is sorta a hard life so maybe there should be hard carpeting as well for this hard life

my roommate thinks i am kinda being neurotic but i think carpeting has an impact on studying. why do you think those sholin monks went and lived in monestaries when they were stuyding? Have you ever heard of well carpeted monastary? I thinik not gentlemen.

But...... then again i also have some 1,000 watts of light blasting away in my room because i think its too dark in here. So maybe he could be right

oh well
just a passing thought

SelfExel

TRIBE Member
Ever tried reading in the sunlight? It's dam near impossible. Like summer sunlight, that's shinning in a park.

PosTMOd

Well-Known TRIBEr
Originally posted by swilly
I think maybe think being an academic is...

There's your problem in a nutshell: You think you are an academic, when quite obviously you are not.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

starr

TRIBE Member
i have the same problem.

really i can't study if i'm at home....i always find a way to procrastinate.

i was in major denial about this until just recently.

now that i am aware of it i make sure i get to the library at least 4 times a week...and i also make sure i've got a lunch or enough money to get me through meals for the day.

i can sometimes get work done in my room, but it's very rare.

don't know if you're the same as me and just in denial about the situation.

an effective technique to find out where you study best is to make up a spreadsheet for a week. create hourly timeslots for each day from 6am to midnight and fill in your non-negotiables (eg. class, and you can try and guess when your meals would fit in). then slot in study time and write down where you are going to study (and if you want what material you are going to cover). then slot in whatever else you may be doing in the week.

after the week is over, look over your spreadsheet and see what worked and what didn't. you can make up another spreadsheet for the following week if you'd like, but there should be a few obvious patterns after the initial week.

by the way - this was definitely not my concept, i stole it from "mind over mood"

Casey

TRIBE Member
it's not your lights, carpet, or wall color. It's your attention span.

Last edited:

Casey

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by starr

an effective technique to find out where you study best is to make up a spreadsheet for a week. create hourly timeslots for each day from 6am to midnight and fill in your non-negotiables (eg. class, and you can try and guess when your meals would fit in). then slot in study time and write down where you are going to study (and if you want what material you are going to cover). then slot in whatever else you may be doing in the week.

hey swilly, if you've run out of walls to paint, and lightbulbs to change, another great way to procrastinate is to make a spreadsheet of how much you procrastinate per week.

starr

TRIBE Member
hey, casey perhaps you aren't familiar with using computers, but making a spreadsheet isn't really a good way to procrastinate.

it should take you about 5 minutes max.

swilly

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Casey
hey swilly, if you've run out of walls to paint, and lightbulbs to change, another great way to procrastinate is to make a spreadsheet of how much you procrastinate per week.
hahahahahhahah
that is good
swilly