• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Thievery Corporation: The Richest Man in Babylon

KickIT

TRIBE Member
Just picked it up today. Heavy on the downtempo dub. Love'en it so far. Also picked up J5 - Power in Numbers. Fuck I haven't bought CDs in ages.

*c*

Alex D. from TRIBE on Utility Room

BreakzBroad

TRIBE Member
going out to the mall to buy my bro's birthday gift.

definitly stopping at HMV! :) thanks for reminding me chuck!

*jen*

djcheezwhiz

TRIBE Member
just seen this today...probably pick it up later, but i did find a used copy of "the shining" at cd replay...they're the new band formed by ex-verve members...i'm not even sure if it's out yet domestically...

the jurassic 5 has some really nice tracks on it...

jc

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

KickIT

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Vote Quimby
Is this a new release from them? I've got 3 of their earlier discs, but have no clue what they're called.

Yeah just released today. Comes with a nice photo montage.

*c*

KickIT

TRIBE Member
Re: Re: Thievery Corporation: The Richest Man in Babylon

Originally posted by Libradragon

hey chuck! thanks for remembering my birthday! ;)

I gave you my birthday present already. I came to your party.

*c*

trinitydub

TRIBE Member
I downloaded an advance copy about two months ago - pretty good, but Sounds from the Thievery Hi-Fi still kicks my ass the most.

Shaolin Satellite = the shit

wow

KickIT

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by el presidente Highsteppa
Shinehead is supposed to be on it. I'm gonna pick it up next week.

Yeah he does the vocals on "State of the Uncion". Overall the vocals are fuck'en sick on this album. Like I said earlier, heavy on the reggae dub.

*c*

MoFo

TRIBE Member
A really diverse album.

They sort of took everything I liked about the Mirror Conspiracy and put it all into one new album.

I like the ethnic influences.

chipotle

Well-Known TRIBEr
Originally posted by MoFo
A really diverse album.

They sort of took everything I liked about the Mirror Conspiracy and put it all into one new album.

I like the ethnic influences.

how does it compare to their first album... "sounds from the thievery hi-fi"??

I think that was their best effort compared to the second album, still haven't picked up their newest.

evil homer

TRIBE Member
one of the dudes in thievery used to be a counterintelligence expert

this is one more reason why thievery is 21st century james bond music

Che

TRIBE Member
Wicked album! Respect! Its CDs like these that you should BUY and not download. Support these guys.

MachoMan

TRIBE Member
I'll have to disagree on this one. I'd say why but NOW magazine said it so perfectly for me. Then again, that's just one man's opinion... or two in this case.

----------------

THIEVERY CORPORATION THE RICHEST MAN IN BABYLON (18TH STREET LOUNGE) NN

You can almost imagine the two cads behind Thievery Corporation assembling their loungey downtempo music, casually tossing in a little reggae here, a little Indian vibe there. Sure, the beats are smooth, but The Richest Man In Babylon, like everything Thievery Corporation has done, is pure exotica. Elements from different cultures are randomly mixed in to sound profound, but ultimately mean nothing. It's a world where played-out U Roy voice-overs and anonymous sitar breaks float in and out, and the same shuffle beat plays on every track. As easy and empty as listening gets. Thievery Corporation chill at the Opera House November 16.