• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

They got that U of T hate propagandist!

DaPhatConductor

TRIBE Promoter
I don't know if any of you saw my thread yesterday about those racist posters at U of T, but i just heard back from the SAC and they got the cops to sort it out.

The SAC were really on it, it was great to see. Good to know that something can be done.

If you see hate prop shite at U of T, this is the email: vpequity@sac.utoronto.ca

It's SAC election time too, so they're all busting ass to try to look good right now. I'm gonna see if I can get someone to do something about the swatztikas in the bathroom...

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

judge wopner

TRIBE Member
awesome,

too bad none of you emancipated communists fail to use your own logic when it comes to police ripping down posters you dont like.

do you really think its a great idea to encourage any body that exist to remove statments on teh very subjective vision of "hate".

as if we cant handle seeing a fucking swastika on the bathroom wall, it may entice the masses to attack jews?

Sal De Ban

TRIBE Member
judge wopner said:
awesome,

too bad none of you emancipated communists fail to use your own logic when it comes to police ripping down posters you dont like.

do you really think its a great idea to encourage any body that exist to remove statments on teh very subjective vision of "hate".

as if we cant handle seeing a fucking swastika on the bathroom wall, it may entice the masses to attack jews?
maybe up is down, and down is really .....up! whoa!

Flashy_McFlash

Well-Known TRIBEr
judge wopner said:
awesome,

It's a good thing no one takes your posts seriously.

DaPhatConductor

TRIBE Promoter
riiight.

so you guys know, this is what was being posted

some notable quotes from the piece included:

"We ourselves do not consider this cartoon to be offensive. We consider it to be an accurate view of the religion of Islam, whose followers make the news every day, all over the world, for mindlessly obeying Islam's orders to murder heretics."

and

"Tonight, when you turn on the news and see hatred-seething hordes burning the West's flags and torching its embassies, remember that this is the enemy your morality commands you to love and serve--and remember the lonely Danes hiding in fear for their lives.

And then, in the ultimate act of self-assertiveness, pledge to renounce the morality of sacrifice and learn its opposite: the morality of rational self-interest.
Though the West's twilight has begun, the darkness of suicide has not yet engulfed us. We still have a chance."

This is a deliberate attempt to brainwash and incite hate.

acheron

TRIBE Member
so is alexd going to be targeted by Islamic fundamentalists for publishing (by proxy) one of the hated Danish cartoons?

DaPhatConductor

TRIBE Promoter
acheron said:
so is alexd going to be targeted by Islamic fundamentalists for publishing (by proxy) one of the hated Danish cartoons?
i doubt it, considering the context of the post. these posters were REMOVED from U of T, and the people posting them are being dealt with appropriately.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

acheron

TRIBE Member
DaPhatConductor said:
i doubt it, considering the context of the post. these posters were REMOVED from U of T, and the people posting them are being dealt with appropriately.
So you speak for the Imams, then?

judge wopner

TRIBE Member
DaPhatConductor said:
riiight.

so you guys know, this is what was being posted

some notable quotes from the piece included:

"We ourselves do not consider this cartoon to be offensive. We consider it to be an accurate view of the religion of Islam, whose followers make the news every day, all over the world, for mindlessly obeying Islam's orders to murder heretics."

and

"Tonight, when you turn on the news and see hatred-seething hordes burning the West's flags and torching its embassies, remember that this is the enemy your morality commands you to love and serve--and remember the lonely Danes hiding in fear for their lives.

And then, in the ultimate act of self-assertiveness, pledge to renounce the morality of sacrifice and learn its opposite: the morality of rational self-interest.
Though the West's twilight has begun, the darkness of suicide has not yet engulfed us. We still have a chance."

This is a deliberate attempt to brainwash and incite hate.

and thats my whole point.

why would we encourage the universiy to limit people's freedom of speech.

it sounds great when you fundamentally disagree with whats being said,
but arent we to be suspicious of any attempts to streghten an institution or a governing bodie's ability to prevent us from expressing ourselves.

yes this is a hate-filled message, no one is really debating that, but is the expression of such a message a crime. even if by the letter of the law it is considered "hate" and contrary to our charter of rights and freedoms, arent we inviting a gradual expansion of the states ability to silence what they deem "hate" or subversive?

whats the greater crime, stopping people from expressing themselves or allowing them to express things we may find offensive.

its a fine line.

and im surprised some of you are so in favour of the university enhancing its ability to restric freedom of expression.

really, do you think peopel cant handle seeing this cartoon and objectively deciding if its bullshit or not? or do you believe people are that stupid that they arent capable of seeing this as the bullshit it truly is?

Last edited:

acheron

TRIBE Member
I'm a little surprised that the university acted so unilaterally on this one as well. I mean, it's censorship. We consider this fellow to be a whacko, right - so what are we afraid of? Like Wop said: "yes this is a hate-filled message, no one is really debating that." --and that's the problem right there.

The U of T is supposed to be a hotbed of intellectual debate, where free movement of ideas is encouraged and discussion is open. What SHOULD happen is someone else should make up another set of posters to counter the original set, or, better yet, find the guy and have him debate his ideas in front of his peers. That's what university is supposed to be about, not hiding ideas (hateful or not) away so people can't see them. We need to know that this sort of scourge exists and we need to confront it head on - squelching it doesn't change minds, it only strengthens resolve.

b3nji

TRIBE Member
obviously the stuffs offensive, disturbing, and simpleminded but the piece of shits still have a right to express their opinion...no?

Or am i missing something?

Sal De Ban

TRIBE Member
judge wopner said:
or do you believe people are that stupid that they arent capable of seeing this as the bullshit it truly is?
yeah - there's more to it than that, and i think you know it. are you saying that if i hung a 6 foot linoleum penis outside your front door with sparkles and m&m's glued to it that you would just say, "well, it's not gonna make ME glue shit to my dick so, like, whatever its cool"

Chaos

TRIBE Member
Sal De Ban said:
i hung a 6 foot linoleum penis outside your front door with sparkles and m&m's glued to it that you would just say, "well, it's not gonna make ME glue shit to my dick so, like, whatever its cool"
that's hot.

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
b3nji said:
obviously the stuffs offensive, disturbing, and simpleminded but the piece of shits still have a right to express their opinion...no?

Or am i missing something?

They do, however to post ones opinion on a private institutions wall without there permission isn't anyones right. Although I agree that there should not be sacred cows at university and in discussions I do not believe that this gives anyone the right to post there ideas without permission.

Additionally although topics can be presented and discussed behing the closed doors of a classroom within context simply placing a poster on a wall removes the context. This isn't a matter of selective censorship as much as it is about having sane control. If student and school associations cannot limit what is posted and placed on walls we will not be able to maintain any of the messages.

The message is irrelevent to me, but to suggest that you don't need to have approval to post your message on private property I disagree with.

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
A university is a private institution it is not public space! It is owned by the university and administered by representitives of the university in exchange for a tuition charged to its students.

A private institution always has the rights to set its own policies in regards to what is appropriate material to be displayed. Additionally we do have laws that pertain to what is considered offensive. It is illegal for me to put a picture of a penis on a billboard overlooking a major street even if it is on my property.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders