• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

thermostat installation question

seeker

TRIBE Member
i bought a new thermostat today for our gas fireplace. the fireplace is about 10 yrs old, and I think the thermostat is around that same age.

the instructions for installing the thermostat mention wires labelled WYRG. when i pull the cover off the old thermostat, it has no labels, only two wires: one white, one black.

a quick google search turned up only sketchy information. i think i'm supposed to connect the white to the 'W', and the black to the 'R'.

can anyone confirm this? the store that installed the fireplace is closed.

acheron

TRIBE Member
what terminals were the wires connected to on the back of the old one? There might be letters there...

Match the letters of the terminals on the old tstat to the ones on the new on and make the connections that way.

seeker

TRIBE Member
no letters on the old thermostat, and no indication as to which coloured wires belong to which terminal in the new thermostat's installation instructions. thanks tho :)

seeker

TRIBE Member
well, sketchy googling pays off. :)

so, for future reference, if you're installing a thermostat with two wires, white goes to 'W', black goes to 'R'.

and now back to enjoying my fireplace.

SweatyNuts

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by seeker
well, sketchy googling pays off. :)

so, for future reference, if you're installing a thermostat with two wires, white goes to 'W', black goes to 'R'.

and now back to enjoying my fireplace.
not always... depends how the electrician wired the fireplace stat. you can always go back to the fireplace and check the wire colours/terminals there, though you seem to have it figured out.

for future ref, thermostats almost always follow this schema:

R- power (don't worry... only 24V) [usually red]
W- heating [usually white]
Y- cooling [usually black, sometimes yellow]
G- fan [usually green]

sometimes r is divided into R(y) and R(w), but usually they are jumpered together.

in your case, the fireplace only has power (R) and heat (W). if it doesn't work with the first colour config, just switch it and it will work the other way. it's low voltage, so you really can't screw anything up.

Last edited:
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Jeffsus

TRIBE Member
Four choose two divided by two means that it's only an expected matter of hours before you find the correct arrangement.

-jM
A&D

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Originally posted by Jeffsus
Four choose two divided by two means that it's only an expected matter of hours before you find the correct arrangement.

-jM
A&D
or we see a mushroom cloud exploding over the city from the gas explosion