• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Thermite Found on WTC Rubble

SellyCat

TRIBE Member
Don't termites usually infest structures made from wood? Besides, I'm surprised that any termites could survive the collapse in the first place. Then again, them shits is hardy and resilliant!

DaPhatConductor

TRIBE Promoter
yea, i'm dubious, but it sure is news.

i really hope someone else gets in there, s.e. jones is not exactly the most reputable scientist ever.

SellyCat

TRIBE Member
That picture they show, by the way, is a classic peice of propaganda. It's a beam from the structure that connected to another peice at the angle...and of course the welds would be the weakest point, so that why you see the melting. Thermite couldn't make a perfectly clean cut like that. You can see hundreeds of beams that terminate in exactly that shape if you look at the schematic diagrams of the building.

And none of this changes the extremely point important that nobody could have placed "thermite" on those beams. They are surrounded by a dense foam and encased in concrete. People were at work in the buildings all the time. You'd need to do extensive demolition work inside the structuce to place any kind of charges on the structural elements themselves.

That massive car-bomb in the basement in 93 didn't collapse the building even...it blew a 7-story sphere into the parking complex right under the structure. That was an incredibly powerful explosive. Ramsey Yussuf even installed tanks of liquid oxygen around the explosive barrels in the van to maximise the force. But somehow thermite brought down the WTC.

Either that or two massive planes, full of jet fuel, smashed into the building, tore off the stuff that was protecting the frame and melted it enough to weaken the structure and induce a typical pancake collapse.

You know, either or.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
Thermite = Iron Oxide (plenty of it) + Aluminum.

If you want to try making some its pretty easy to do (did it as a kid), take a couple of iron nails and put them in a half full dish of water. add some water every now and then. Over the next week or so collect the rust. If your really lazy you can grab some rust off of a car or my personal suggest use a railroad peg. Collect the rust in one pile. Now take a file and start woking down an aluminum can. Your trying to get about an equal mixture of the two by weight.

Lighting it is a whore, I suggest using sparklers!!

Now why would I expect to find traces of Thermite in this case.

1) The plane was made of aluminum
2) Melting point of aluminum = 660C
3) Fires around crashed plane were above this range

Now allthough I used Iron as my oxide just about every single other metal would work. Thus we have just scads of oxide and reactive and a sufficent source of heat.

Thus in the WTC I would expect to see evidance of this reaction.

Now Steve Jones (is this guy legit?) finding Thermate is slightly different. Thermate is thermite + sulphur and normally barium nitrate (thus why in our little experiment I suggest sparklers) now the barium nitrate isn't really necessary its used to get the temp high enough for ignition (somewhere around 500C (twice as hot as a cigarette) so if you have ignition (which we do) it serves no purpose.

Thus the question comes down to where did the sulphur come from. I'd say this is a matter of various insulations in use and pretective coatings along with plastics burning in the office environment.

All the chemicals for Thermite are clearly present and Thermate isn't a large jump especially considering it was discovered in rubble that would have had sulphur.

SellyCat

TRIBE Member
Ditto Much said:
fuck is that the cia in the parking lot
No, it's a Homeland Security wet team.

For ignition, I think you can use a strip of magnesium from a science shop too, I think

*Red dots dance around Ditto's room, finding their way to his chest and face....BLAP BLAP BLAP BLAP*

*...sooo much blood...*

And freedom prevails once again

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
http://www.amazingrust.com/Experiments/how_to/Videos/Fe2O3/2/Thermite(Fe2O3)2[Better].wmv

here video clip of home made thermite. The glowing white stuff at the end is actually Iron in a liquefied state.

Thermite is probably the coolest experiment I figured out entirely on my own. I lived in the middle of but fuck nowhere as a kid and didn't have much in the way of entertainment. I figured out thermite using the world book encyclopedia. I found that nails rust faster if you use lemon juice.

I argue this is why you shouldn't give a bored kid a set of encyclopedias.

I once convinced a kid in grade 10 to light a roll of magnesium strip on fire. I wasn't allowed into a lab for 2 straight years due to 'safety concerns" fuck you very much catholic school board.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

SellyCat

TRIBE Member
You can rust the shit of a nail even faster by putting wires on a battery and placing the other ends into the water. Get a little salt in there and that shit will be rust in a very short amount of time.

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
My dad taught me how to make an explosion using water and a car battery. Basically you create oxygen and hydrogen and when you put them back together the whole thing blows up in your hands glass goes everywhere and your mother whacks you around the house for listening to your dad.

He also showed me a cool one from WWII, its basically Jell-O made from gasoline. You put it on a shovel light it on fire and try and thwack a krout with it. Unfortunately we had a general policy against allowing germans on our property so I never got to test it on anything but a rock. Figured a rock was a good substitute all things considered.

And again I want to point out that this is why I support after school programs in the country. Out of sheer boredom me and my neighbor started building truly destructive things based solely on encyclopedias and lack of other options. Yes we could have taken up rose growing or something but encyclopedias teach you how to make explosives.

Onthereals

TRIBE Member
That is an interesting story. Too bad it will be disregarded and discredited by people like Ditto (I made thermite as a kid so it means I'm an expert on it), and Selly (its all propoganda so lets make fun of anyone who is retarded enough to believe it) that this discussion has been quickly hijacked with a large dose of inflated ego and sarcasm.

Oh wait, this has been the case with most of the threads in the politics forum recently. woo hoo you guys rock go tag team! keep it up!

DaPhatConductor

TRIBE Promoter
we'll see.

infowars.com (yes yes, i know) said that there will be a much more serious s.e. jones press release thingy to come very shortly. if he turns up dead, we'll know why ;)

docta seuss

TRIBE Member
Onthereals said:
Oh wait, this has been the case with most of the threads in the politics forum recently. woo hoo you guys rock go tag team! keep it up!
no, not most. not even close.

there is a trend if you care to see it.

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
Onthereals said:
That is an interesting story. Too bad it will be disregarded and discredited by people like Ditto (I made thermite as a kid so it means I'm an expert on it), and Selly (its all propoganda so lets make fun of anyone who is retarded enough to believe it) that this discussion has been quickly hijacked with a large dose of inflated ego and sarcasm.

Aluminum + metal oxide = thermite.

The fact that an aluminum plane hit a steel building pretty much means you are going to have thermite.

Its being disregarded because thermite degardes to thermite, thus the fact that aluminum oxide or iron oxide were found is clearly to be expected.

The author of this peace is not giving the whole picture. I'm discrediting it and disregarding it with humour because as a kid I really did play with thermite its amongst the most premative exothermic chemical reactions you can create in your house.

If you want a sing along where everyone agrees with you might I suggest a personal blog.

Onthereals

TRIBE Member
Ditto Much said:
Aluminum + metal oxide = thermite.

The fact that an aluminum plane hit a steel building pretty much means you are going to have thermite.

Its being disregarded because thermite degardes to thermite, thus the fact that aluminum oxide or iron oxide were found is clearly to be expected.

The author of this peace is not giving the whole picture. I'm discrediting it and disregarding it with humour because as a kid I really did play with thermite its amongst the most premative exothermic chemical reactions you can create in your house.

If you want a sing along where everyone agrees with you might I suggest a personal blog.
Oh so because an aluminum plane hit it, means that this thermite reactioin spread quickly throughout the structure so that any random piece found from the building would have a trace of it?

Maybe I should discredit your argument because peace and piece are completely different words. Wow!, well that must of been an amazing experience as a kid, judging from how many big words you strung together, man was I wasting my time as a child! All I see is an argument strung together by bullshit and ego stroking with some fancy long word dressing to cover it up.

And who said I needed everyone to agree with me all the time? Sorry, you can keep your sing along to yourself.

praktik

TRIBE Member
Onthereals said:
Oh so because an aluminum plane hit it, means that this thermite reactioin spread quickly throughout the structure so that any random piece found from the building would have a trace of it?

Maybe I should discredit your argument because peace and piece are completely different words. Wow!, well that must of been an amazing experience as a kid, judging from how many big words you strung together, man was I wasting my time as a child! All I see is an argument strung together by bullshit and ego stroking with some fancy long word dressing to cover it up.

And who said I needed everyone to agree with me all the time? Sorry, you can keep your sing along to yourself.
But Onthereals, i can do a mean falsetto! Good for harmonies and the like!

atbell

TRIBE Member
Onthereals said:
Your argument about thermite reactions spreading quickly throughout the structure implies that something really funky is up. If it is true that residuals of this kind of reaction can be found "so that any random piece found from the building would have a trace of it" then there must have been reactions happening all over the place. If, as I suspect you are insiuating, these reactions had to be caused by the placing of explosives in and around the building it would mean that there would have to be explosives all over the building non?

And these thermite explosives would have to be in contact with the steel which requires drilling through the concrete all over all 100 odd floors of the towers. Not to mention any of the wall coverings, such as dry wall, that are used in the office buildings.

To make this explosive theory work with your idea of having traces all over any random picec of steel, these explosives would have had to be placece all up and down the towers, drilling into thick concrete pillars to place each charge AND then cleaning all the dust and replacing any damage to the wall without a single person leaking the existence of this plot.

I don't buy it.

To further the theory of explosives being used in the "demolion" of the two towers, one would have to figure out some kind of plausible method of placing the explosives without any one who would talk noticing these placements.

Of course it's possible that anyone who noticed these placements just happened to be in the towers when they went down. :rolleyes:

OTIS

TRIBE Member
Lurker said:
lol @ ditto

Laundry detergent and gasoline? homemade napalm?
There was a short time during the BBS days when apart from 8 bit photostyler nudes of Alicia Silverstone, the only 'cool' thing you could download was the Anarchists Cookbook of which thermite, drano bombs, and homemade napalm were the most distinct and plausible projects you could try out. I remember stealing magnesium strips from my highschool science class to ignite the thermite I would inevitably toy with making, but my friend beat me to its production and the novelty of making my own wore off without the possibility of bragging rights.

SellyCat

TRIBE Member
OTIS said:
There was a short time during the BBS days when apart from 8 bit photostyler nudes of Alicia Silverstone, the only 'cool' thing you could download was the Anarchists Cookbook of which thermite, drano bombs, and homemade napalm were the most distinct and plausible projects you could try out. I remember stealing magnesium strips from my highschool science class to ignite the thermite I would inevitably toy with making, but my friend beat me to its production and the novelty of making my own wore off without the possibility of bragging rights.
Nostalgia!!! The BBS days....Anarchist Cookbook! Oh boy.