• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

{THEORY > Destiny; (Koolhaus + Orange Room > The Docks); Armani > Skibba)

SellyCat

TRIBE Member
"THE RONI SIZE BASSLINE MASSACRE!"

I have opinions.

Theory was AWESOME last night...and simply just blew away VIRAN @ the docks. In my experience, Theory parties are always SOLID, especially with KH and/or OR as venues. KH is my new favorite Jungle venue, now that System Soundbar has closed. (Still not sure what the deal is with that.)

Roni Size KILLED SHIT last night! Junglists were being carried out in tears all night...with their white towells all tore-up to shreds!!! A constant flow of HEAVY dark and deep basslines. Only the ILLEST drum'n'bass. I didn't even know Roni Size was a DJ--I had only heard his albums. Marky was also solid, throwing down tight dnb selek-shins. Breaks @ the Orange Room were smooth and hard all night, especially Adam Freeland, who was just the shit! There was a super-cute girl up front every time I checked it out--she was wearing a v-necked black top, that crossed across her back, making an X b/n her shuolders. She had short black hair, was about 5"8' tall...I saw her, baby....shakin' that ass!

As for the MCs...MC Armani totally stole the show...Straight the fuck up! This is the 4th time I've seen him. Twice with DJ Craze (once in London and once in Toronto) and last week with Ed Rush. A consumate professional--he's got a great sense of balance and knows when to hype the crowd and when to let the selekta run tings. He has a natural modesty about him and connects very well with the crowd. BUT ABOVE ALL his Ragga-style is THE SHIT! He's got it down. Sorry Skibba.

Skibba used to be my favorite MC, but I don't like how he runs the exact same shtick every time. "The roof, the roof...", "woah...yeah...woah, yeah, woah, yeah." Skibba also talks way too much. But to his credit he connects very well to the hardcore enthusiasts. And I do love his "skibba skeletor" evil laugh and his special "barking"...I love the barking. I wanted to see more orignal stuff from Skibba, more unique stylez to make the crowd feel like something special was going on. Skibbadee's status makes him a Rock Star, but I hope he doesn't get washed up. Mothafuckas betta innovate!

Armani just had it down so well last night--he was all about the party, the selecta and not about being a rock star. And again, his ragga style is OFF THE HOOK--his caidence was perfectly hesitant and lingered on just the right beats. Excellent MC!

Also, great crowd last night--lots of serious junglist representation. I witnessed or experience no aggression, rudeness or static of any kind. And the venue capacity to turn-out ration was basically perfect. Jungle parties have to be roomy in my opinion.

Discuss.

Last edited:

basketballjones

TRIBE Member
awesomre review, and you even used cadence in your review, i worked that word into a convo with sunny and kirsten and they tried calling me on it, I WON

SellyCat

TRIBE Member
What's MIF? And no, cuz I've got so much friggin work to do for school and I didn't sleep last night and yeah lol

But what is it?

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

green_souljah

TRIBE Member
Absolutely wicked time, haven't had that much fun in ages.

Roni Size tore it down, dirty dirty tunes for what seemed like ages. I was dancing like it was 1999.

Whoever the MC was during Size should give lessons as to how it should be done, perfect job.

Skibadee made my ears bleed though, but by then it was time to grab some street meat.

Wicked party.

SellyCat

TRIBE Member
green_souljah said:
Absolutely wicked time, haven't had that much fun in ages.
Whoever the MC was during Size should give lessons as to how it should be done, perfect job.
Wicked party.
Yes, guy! That was MC Armani!

Totally on point. I hope to see him on many more line-ups.

Like how 'bout....Shy FX + DJ Craze + MC Armani (+ Marcus + Ruckus + Saigon) ........Oh shit!

[Didn't see phantasy, headed home after an hour of Marky + Skibba]

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Thanks to Vinder and Jane, I was totally suckered into going. I am at work today and I am DYING so I hope all of you are snug in your beds.

Roni Size. My hero. My first love. Waited almost a decade to see him live. Wish he was with his cru though. I would've DIED.
I was so starstruck even seeing him enter the complex.
He came on at a reasonable hour too and had the crowd going nuts. It's nice to see a new generation of junglists. Positive vibes everywhere.

Loved Snapshot (he played the remix later in his set too), and I believe he played some dubplates if I am not mistaken. Can anyone verify this?

Heard pieces of The Nine which I haven't heard proper in sooooo long.

I do have some criticisms though. First, there were way too many rewinds. Second, I still hate MCs.. Rocky's MC was fantastic. Knew when to shut up and knew how to work the crowd. Armani is talented but I didn't pay to see him talk over my favourite producer of all time.

Seriously, MCs can ruin an otherwise good set.

Third, no Brown Paper Bag? I totally thought he was going to throw that out as an encore.. Or a big finale.. The vocal version's video was filmed here so I was 99% sure that he would use that as a big ending to the set..

Fourth, no vocalist? Thumbs down to that.

I didn't stick around for Marky because I had to be out the door by 8 AM and because I thought his first few tracks were total shit. I'm a huge fan of his but I wasn't feeling it.

All in all, good times. Good to see Keith, Janie, Chris, Vinder, Janine, Mel, Doodlebug(gery) and all the other cool cats.

At one point I turned to Jane, "how the hell did I end up loving this music?" And just went back to putting two shots in the aiiiiiiiiiiiir... BO! FUCK DRUM AND BASS KICKS ALL KINDS OF ASS.

And yes, Sellycat, that was me. :)

Last edited:

MoFo

TRIBE Member
SellyCat said:
SellyCat = The Blond guy with Jane and Keith. The circle is complete.
What's funny is that Aphrodite just said that me seeing Roni Size was a full circle moment, a full circle moment (re: Oprah).

But I think it was more of a full cycle moment.. Whon whon.

Taro

TRIBE Member
he was good.....the usual...

and rowdy - he gave me a 2 handed push as if to say...oi oi...

~atp~

TRIBE Member
I had a great time at this one. I actually felt the growling basslines and
the crowd was totally into Roni's set. Nice seeing the usual (and unusual!) suspects out partying, including Jane, Dan, Sunny, Chris and Mel, who stuck it out longest with me. :)

Respectable boh!

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Yah, what did Freeland play?

After Roni played, I was like "shit, I'm done. I don't need to see anyone else."

El Diablo

The Lesson I learned that night: If you're drunk, it's not a good idea to wash your cellphone in the bathroom sinks.

Other then that, great time!

FlexdeFunk

TRIBE Member
todiefor said:
How was Freeland, anyone?
Freeland was very similair to the set he did a week ago when opened for Prodigy. If you didn't see that, then here it is>>

-started off classic, with 'to the next level' (Ils)
-started playing some off the hook new skool (for about 35 minutes)
that made me rock out more than I have in over a year!!!
-he then moved into his 'uk movement' breaks, with all the rock remixs he usually plays (nirvana, white strips etc.) and pretty much kept it 'rockin' so to speak until he finished.

K-Swing??
-tiny bit dis-appointed, we needed some big phat phunky breaks after freeland brought it down to the 'rock' vibe. She played a couple 'super' popular clubby breaks tracks, with some 'ok' house.

Bassbin Twin (literally just one of them) stole the show. Bit of 'out of place' house and DnB that wasn't needed, but his breaks were absolutly wicked.

Last edited:

Amy_J

TRIBE Member
BLAO! Friday was hella fun. I had to play cherades with some people though cuz my hearing was shot.

Big up Theory

TzarBen

TRIBE Member
Was Wicked!!!

Roni and adam totally kicked ass. in the uk roni size IS drum and base and adam freeland on your lineup guarentees a good crowd. big up the uk massive. lol the venue was greaqt too not too crowded. saw the crazy girl in the orange room too. lol i was there denim jacket round my waist totally lovin' it.!!!:O
ben
:cool:

DaPhatConductor

TRIBE Promoter
FlexdeFunk said:
Bassbin Twin (literally just one of them) stole the show. Bit of 'out of place' house and DnB that wasn't needed, but his breaks were absolutly wicked.
There is only one guy in bassbin twins. The name refers to a pair of speakers.