• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Theo Parrish at 99

HaliBubba

TRIBE Promoter
Got there just after 1am while Adam Marshall was ROCKING it with some houser stuff that i've heard him play recently. I've always been really impressed with his selection, but especially as of late. The party was alive and filled already at this time. Saw sooo many familar faces that i felt like i knew half the party. (maybe i did).

Theo got on around 2:30ish and started off with some obscene funk cuts and then mixed a blend of some beatdown detroit house, some soulful r&b vibes, and even some sparse techno while working that isolator like a mofo. That kept me on the floor right front and centre until about 5am when i had to make my exit.

All-in-all, an awesome night filled with beautiful faces, wicked beats, good vibes, and dirty shoes.

Props to Black Market for keeping this place alive. Looking forward to another summer of 99.

Peace (in the middle east)

Hali.

Last edited:

Spinsah

TRIBE Member
Another classic night at 99.

The pain I'm in right now is so worth it.

Wicked crew out. Mashall played some dope tracks and Theo certainly brought the vibe out in the place. I hope the good people at Blackmarket keep at it. Rohr should be another one for the books.

Until then, I'm off the booze.

I swear.

rentboy

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Spinsah
Another classic night at 99.

The pain I'm in right now is so worth it.

Wicked crew out. Mashall played some dope tracks and Theo certainly brought the vibe out in the place. I hope the good people at Blackmarket keep at it. Rohr should be another one for the books.

Until then, I'm off the booze.

I swear.
s-dawg...you and Dave shoulda rolled by the Star beforehand...it was a worthy pish up.

Bernnie Federko

TRIBE Member
Why do I think I heard Quentin Harris "Let's Be Young" last night?

Adam needs more gigs on big sound systems. Would love to hear him at the controls of Sonic in a prime time slot. Maybe get him in with Francois K and let them run game... Adam could open and play for at least 4 or 5 hours, and then FK could take over the wheels and keep us from going home for another 5+ hours.. .

dr000000lzzz

Aleks

TRIBE Member
99 was rockin last night! i had a great time despite the weird flow that theo parrish was droppin, in my opinion he should have kept the house going, but the last hour was kinda weak in my opinion. anyways back to my hangover...way too many late night drinks last night...heheh

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

dtox

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Aleks
99 was rockin last night! i had a great time despite the weird flow that theo parrish was droppin, in my opinion he should have kept the house going, but the last hour was kinda weak in my opinion. anyways back to my hangover...way too many late night drinks last night...heheh
only thing being that theo doesn't "keep the house going" he is more like,and I steal frm discogs:

"Love of the music should be the driving force of any producer, performer or DJ. Everything else stems from that core, that love. With that love, sampling can become a tribute; An expansion on ideas long forgotten, reconstruction, collage. Using the same understanding openly and respectfully can turn DJing into a spiritual participation. It can turn a few hours of selection into essential history;

he plays play tunes.....TUNES

sam

TRIBE Member
I don't think i've ever been to 99 when it has been so packed!!

Unfortunately I missed Adam's house set....but it was great to see Theo behind the decks again in TO. As per usual, he played a very eclectic set filled with hip hop beats, deep funk and raw detroit house.

Had a wicked time and stayed until my legs started to tell me it was time to go!

mystique0217

TRIBE Member
i really loved hearing theo's abstract, weird shite. he truly is an true artist. much respect goes to him :)

I had a great time. not sure why the floor was very slippery to dance on though. It was dangerous, indeed, but I managed to do my thing and had a great time :D yay

JESuX

TRIBE Member
:mad: :mad: :mad:

:( :( :(

this is the first night that i didn't make it to, in a long time, that i am sincerely fucking pissed/upset about.

i really, really wanted to be there last night, alas, finances, timing and tiredness all played a serious factor in my no-show.

i'm glad you guys all seemed to have such a good time! JERKS!

:(

grit

TRIBE Member
what a great night. theo's on another level in so many different ways.

nobody plays deeper and funkier shit. NOBODY.

*tranner*

TRIBE Member
I got there as soon as Theo hit the decks, and right from the getgo he was dropping bombs. I liked how it got deep at times, but by the end it was a little too slow for mw, though the soul of the set was a refreshing change from the usual madness heard at 99. All in all a great time with lots of familiar, smiling faces.

Uberspliff

TRIBE Promoter
I was there from 11pm and the next thing I know it was 5am.
Fuck those floor are slippery. Adam Marshall was Sick!!!
I just cant wait for Tony Rohr to unleash some craziness there
on March 18th. Good night!

hahnsa

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by rod_g
Theo rocked it , and looking quite plumpy these days I must say :)
ya theo's packed on like 200 pounds.

What a crrrraaaaaaaazy night of music. Theo's the funk straight up. Props to black market for consistently bringing in solid talent and throwing proper jams.

DEEPHOUSEGRL

TRIBE Member
We got there and heard the last 1hr of Marshall and he was playing some great tracks. He has a signature style of music which I wish I could get more of these days. I was dancing around and mingling with friends I haven't seen in dog's years. I was anticipating Theo to be just as hype as Marshall's set, but I was greatly disappointed. I think the 'headliner' should have stepped up to Adam's level, but instead he bored me to the point where WE ALL LEFT TO SAVE OURSELVES FROM THE CRAP HE PLAYED! The funny part was he was thrashing his head around like a rock star, but it was to funky soul sounding music which didn't really didn't seem right- but really weird?!?!
Sorry........but I really tried to give it a chance but I just couldn't get into it. Next time I won't be so hyped about a Parrish playing here again. Oh well.

Last edited:

hahnsa

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by DEEPHOUSEGRL
I think the 'headliner' should have stepped up to Adam's level, but instead he bored me to the point where WE ALL LEFT TO SAVE OURSELVES FROM THE CRAP HE PLAYED!
LOL. that's some funny shit. What are you on crack?

DEEPHOUSEGRL

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by hahnsa
LOL. that's some funny shit. What are you on crack?
I think from now on I should do my signature as "IMO" because if anyone wants to criticize my review of the dj or whatever, then you can't argue *my* experience/ interpretation of that moment of time. Sorry I still thinks he sucked and as much as you want to insult me, I still think HE SUCKED.

And, i'm not alone here....about 10 people I left with after the party agreed with me too.

Last edited:
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Spinsah

TRIBE Member
We got there and heard the last 1hr of Marshall and he was playing some great tracks. He has a signature style of music which I wish I could get more of these days. I was dancing around and mingling with friends I haven't seen in dog's years. I was anticipating Theo to be just as hype as Marshall's set, but I was greatly disappointed. I think the 'headliner' should have stepped up to Adam's level, but instead he bored me to the point where WE ALL LEFT TO SAVE OURSELVES FROM THE CRAP HE PLAYED!
He played pretty much exactly what I expected. A lot of older disco, funk and soul with some detroit numbers thrown in. I too would have liked some more uptempo house and techno, but I enjoyed the excursion through older sounds and really respect Parrish's selections as he's obviously a true crate digger who places great emphasis on the history and development of what has become house music.

grit

TRIBE Member
WE ALL LEFT TO SAVE OURSELVES FROM THE CRAP HE PLAYED! The funny part was he was thrashing his head around like a rock star, but it was to funky soul sounding music which didn't really didn't seem right- but really weird?!?!
think it's time to change your name to something else 'DEEP house girl'.

you think his 'thrashing his head round like a rockstar' is some sort of ego trip or something? you obviouslty have no idea of where theo's coming from, or how passionate he is about the music he's playing. damn straight he doesn't simply play usual bom chick bom chick at 125 bpm. why would he? EVERY other dj in the world does that.
and sure you're allowed to have your own opinion, but to say that the music he played was 'crap', you obviously have no idea of how to evaluate between 'good' quality music, and 'bad' quality music, because the records theo plays are more 'musical' than almost ANY dj out there. Practically EVERY record he plays is always pure quality. Definetley jazz infused, which goes over allot of people's heads, but there is no filler whatsoever. So he may not have been your taste, but 'crap' is just a wrong thing to say.
THEO IS THE EPITOME OF REAL DEEP HOUSE!

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders