• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Then and Now - Where's the Love?

opium_souldjah

TRIBE Member
I wanted to ask peoples opinion on what they thought about the club scene today vs. the club scene years ago. I started partying in 1993 and I thought back then that things were amazing, and through all the changes that the scene went through I still stuck through it all and kept dancing away. I remember buying tickets at X-tatic that were not tickets but little kalidascopes with the directions on the inside, and partying in abandonded churches to the Rise, and Buzz, and Industry, Knowledge, Circus, Joy, E-Party, and other public venues.

Though the scene underwent a dramatic change do you still have as much fun as you used to? Do you still feel the same vibe that you did when you knew everything in the world led up to that moment? I somehow don't feel like that anymore. I don't see the same things as I once used to. Granted I don't party anymore, but it's for this very reason that I don't. I feel like I lost something on the way and if there was a way to get it back I would. I have a lot of friends who are still into that scene, and I am too in the sense that the love of the music really has never died for me. But everytime I talk to them it seems like they're stuck in this stagnant loop always the same story to tell, always the same club, always the same dj. I remember when it wasn't about the dj being able to mix, but just having a good time. It seems lost on partiers today (I don't mean to offend anyone by this), but it's like the whole meaning of it all got lost on the way somewhere.

I have traveled throughout the US, Europe, and the Middle East and have found that there is a huge difference in attitude when it comes to parties. It's so different and it makes me think that
Toronto is so young and has so much to learn and so far to grow. There is so much attitude at parties these days. If you're not wearing the right clothes or have the right friends, or dance a certain way...it's unbelievable. I have had friends walk out of clubs becasue they didn't dance a certain way so patrons of this certain club (will remain nameless) gave my friends dirty looks. What's that about? Where's the love there? Another friend went to another club (again remain nameless) and approached a girl just wanting to talk. The girl replied with "I don't want to talk to you". I think that people are seriously lacking in social skills these days as well. This is not how to treat another human being I am sorry. There are other ways this could have been approached. But as I was saying, something is gone. The love is not there anymore. And I am not talking about PLUR. I am talking about common decencey for your fellow man.

Frankly, I think the whole clubbing experience is a bit over rated. Being there and seeing people and having a good time is one thing. But going so that you can get so fucked up is another (not saying that eveyone does this).

I am not sure what it means anymore. I don't really have to worry about it since I quit a long time ago But I just want to know what you thought about the whole deal? This of course is completely biased, but I am obviously open to hear what you have to say.

Do you think that there is unwarranted attitude? How do you think your clubbing experiences could be improved (on a social level) not by what someone can do for you, but what you can do for someone eles? Do you think you have what it takes to make another persons night a good one?

Just curious?

vveerrgg

TRIBE Promoter
circia 1998....... *insert timeline pic here*

Step 1. invent timemachine

Step 2. go back to 1994

Step 3. PROFIT!

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

sweet_e

TRIBE Member
I only started partying 3 years ago. So i cant really comment onthe changes that its underwent. But i can say that having been to europe (london, vienna and croatia) and gone to parties there, there is a huge difference in the attitude of the people and the vibe at the parties.

It seemed to me that people are just generally more friendly and open in europe and definately more into the whole scene. Here i feel like all anybody ever does is complain about how much the scene sucks and how much better it used to be.

So my advice to all you "Jaded Ravers": Change is inevitable and yes its different so JUST ACCEPT IT! you bitching isnt going to bring it back just prevent it from moving forward.

Zorro

TRIBE Member
The good ole days the good ole days. Shut up!
You sound like my Grandfather telling me how he use to walk 5 miles barefoot in the snow.

Change is inevitable
Learn to role with the punches, and stop bitching. Man I couldn't even start to list the things that have changed since '93. To long and what not. It's called evolution for better or worse thats all it is.

opium_souldjah

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Zorro
The good ole days the good ole days. Shut up!
You sound like my Grandfather telling me how he use to walk 5 miles barefoot in the snow.

Learn to role with the punches, and stop bitching. Man I couldn't even start to list the things that have changed since '93. To long and what not. It's called evolution for better or worse thats all it is.
wow, people are really not getting the point of this post. Never mind. You;re all stuck in your jaded worlds to even open your minds to listen to someone. I am not talking about the way it used to be. I am talking about how people have changed over the years and not for the better. People don't treat eachother with respect anymore. People are always to quick to jsudge another person who they don't even know. I am not reminissing about how I loved the scene when I was younger. I am talking about going to clubs and enjoying myself because the music was good and the people were friendly. And that's not the case anymore. Why don't ou open your eyes and see the affect you have on another person? The only bitching that I am doing is about people who don't have the social skills to see that the reason things suck so much is becasue so do the people.

deep

TRIBE Member
The love went out with the drugs, what was left was what is real, and this more substantial love is shared in tighter circles than before.

as for rudeness, it's an insignificant person's imitation of power

I don't know if you've noticed or not but the majority of people in the party scene are fucking losers otherwise in life

sweet_e

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by opium_souldjah
wow, people are really not getting the point of this post. Never mind. You;re all stuck in your jaded worlds to even open your minds to listen to someone. I am not talking about the way it used to be. I am talking about how people have changed over the years and not for the better. People don't treat eachother with respect anymore. People are always to quick to jsudge another person who they don't even know. I am not reminissing about how I loved the scene when I was younger. I am talking about going to clubs and enjoying myself because the music was good and the people were friendly. And that's not the case anymore. Why don't ou open your eyes and see the affect you have on another person? The only bitching that I am doing is about people who don't have the social skills to see that the reason things suck so much is becasue so do the people.
How people react to you depends on how you act toward them. Its a 2 way street. If you are finding everyone to be rude and bitchy maybe you are doing something to instigate this.

I dont have a problem with people being unfriendly.

opium_souldjah

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by sweet_e
How people react to you depends on how you act toward them. Its a 2 way street. If you are finding everyone to be rude and bitchy maybe you are doing something to instigate this.

I dont have a problem with people being unfriendly.
I am not because I quit partying years ago. But this is not the case from what I was seeing. I see fights at clubs, and people snickering at the way another dances and there are a whole list of things. I have always treated people the way I wanted to be treated, I just wonder about people sometimes.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

BigBadBaldy

TRIBE Member
If you really think that people in general have gone from being lovey and polite and considerate to being rude and uncaring in the last ten years then you're not very bright.

It's all context. The contrast you're making is one from an idyllic (drug fuelled) memory to a reality that you're admittedly not even a part of anymore.

I personally haven't shared any of the negative experiences you mentioned in your "NOW" section of the original post. I go out to dance if possible, and I honestly haven't seen that much of a change in people's attitudes in clubs since 1988. I would have to say people in general in "clubs" are more friendly now then they were back when I was a partying teen in the late eighties, because at least now you have a lot of people who came through the rave scene that definitely bring a little more consideration to the club atmosphere.

So, yeah. That's all I have to say.

Perspective.

sweet_e

TRIBE Member
i guess it depends on the clubs you go to.

I choose to go to places where such attiitude is minimal. IN fact in the last year i have only been to one club and witnessed a fight.

I understand that it is there to some degree, but you just have to move beyond that.

pr0nstar

TRIBE Member
I am not because I quit partying years ago. But this is not the case from what I was seeing. I see fights at clubs, and people snickering at the way another dances and there are a whole list of things. I have always treated people the way I wanted to be treated, I just wonder about people sometimes.
See, I hate people like you.

I quit because this and that...
Things have changed...

PLUR?!?

Fuck off, nothing has changed... I was making fun of Candy Kids back in the days and I still would today :p

Only thing that has really changed, is we got older and the parties are more expensive.

pr0nstar :D

deep

TRIBE Member
I think a lot of the times it's just a question of people now needing bonafide social strategies in order to break the ice rather than "sign my book", "wanna lightshow", etc.

Once the ice is broken, I dunno, I think it's a fairly common characteristic of people to want to interact, socialize, converse with others. You just need to get past that initial period of awkwardness.

I think people are being altogether too harsh with the sentiments opium souljah is expressing. It's a valid sentiment, things are not as much of a free for all now as opposed to when everyone was younger, more idealistic and ostensibly more chemically enhanced

mingster

TRIBE Member
how are you noticing how people are now if you've quit partying?

is this from going to clubs?

clubs are very different environments from the way raves were.

PosTMOd

Well-Known TRIBEr
Back when I started partying in January of 2001, things were way different. What's missing is that old school vibe.

PosTMOd

Well-Known TRIBEr
Personally, I think it's from people going deaf. It looks like they are being rude, but they just can't fucking hear.