• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

The workout thread!

Gfunkdiva

TRIBE Member
Ok ladies, let's talk about getting fit!

I've been a dedicated gym bunny for years and years, but I've never been able to nail down a dedicated, long-term, results-oriented program. I try to go 3-5 times a week, but I know I'm not working out as hard as I could and I don't track my results or have any particular measurable goals to strive for.

I'm a big strong gal with weight to lose my whole life, and I'd like to get into that healthy, lean and muscular zone once and for all. I love high energy classes, yoga, strength training, even bouts of cardio on the machines as long as I've got pounding house music in my MP3 player to keep me going. My problem is consistency and longevity - I wanna get fit and stay there!

What do you do to keep fit? How often do you go, and what kind of program do you follow? Share your tips, tricks and questions for training, sweating, working it, slimming down and keeping healthy!

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

KillaLadY

TRIBE Member
I walk/bike to and from work every single day, I do 30 minutes cardio when I wake up in the morning (I alternate between running on my home treadmill to some ballet moves my trainer taught me, to tai-bo - while watching BT..., I also have strength-training class twice a week. (includes free-weights, lots of stretching, lots of ab work)

On Sunday, I alternate between playing tennis, swimming or rollerblading. I like to do something different every week, because I get bored easily of the same routine over and over.

I don't believe much in the "gym" lifestyle, because it doesn't work for me. For me, keeping myself on the move ALL the time is very important. I hate running on the treadmill, elliptical, etc etc like a hamster, so the way I get my cardio is through some routine dancing moves my trainer taught me (www.extensionmethod.com) and of course walking/biking to work.

So I "work out" 7 days out of 7, only because of above mentioned. That's the only way I can be motivated to stay fit, by doing active this I enjoy, not loathe. If I like something, I will continue doing.
I am very happy where I am now (weight-wise), I guess because I focus on my self-esteem more than anything else.

rubytuesday

TRIBE Member
I walk a lot, work is 2.5 km away and it's really scenic.
I spent at least 30 minutes a day speed walking all year and the difference in my legs is amazing, much more tone and muscle! I no longer *hate* them.

rubytuesday

TRIBE Member
KillaLadY said:
^^^ I do the same, people do look weird at me when I just zoom by them.
But I don't care.
I've always been a fast walker and once I saw what a difference it made in my legs I really stopped caring. :)

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

ila

TRIBE Member
For burning fat, running and walking cannot be beat. I swear to god I can see a difference in the size of my fat ass the day after I go for a really long run or walk.

I try to walk everywhere I'm going. I think being active in your daily routine (like taking the stairs) and watching what you eat make the largest difference.

For toning and crap, I don't really do much. I'm pretty muscular naturally, so I don't want to overdo it. Push ups, crunches, assisted pull ups and some squats and maybe a little free weight action here or there and I'm good.

Yoga is something I need to get back into. It's so good for the back.

lucky1

TRIBE Member
have you ever done a spinning class? I totoally recomend them.. you can go at your own level, (you control your own resistance) and they play pounding music an the instructors I've had really motivate you

French Disco Girl

TRIBE Member
Training is 4 days a week. Mixture of plyometrics and mostly isolated exercises. I also follow a periodization training method, which keeps my workouts fresh and exciting. Helps that I work at a gym and that I have access to it when members don't.

Cardio is a pain in the ass for me and I hate it. In the past few months I've taken up Nia classes and belly dancing. Love 'em both. I've also started running in the past month - but I can't stand it and I'll probably ditch that once I can whine about how hot it is outside. :D

dyad

TRIBE Member
im glad theres another workout thread in here! the general forum one is packed with info but with the true workout buffs talking about supplement loads and specialized programs its intimidating to ask a simple question about exercising for health rather than particular goals.

I love to run, and had a good morning regime going (before patios started and sleeping in was so much more appealing) I would love to get into a routine of morning cardio before work (since its usually a bit cooler in the wee hours). i figure my only other option would be late night running. Does anyone do this? Does it make it harder to wind down for sleep? because its so energizing I wouldnt want it to keep me up past my bedtime during the week

What makes for a good at home strenth/toning workout (not a big fan of the gym)? a weight set in say 5-10 lbs? higher/lower weights? those elastic bands and other informercial paraphenalia... whats actually quality? I have a yoga mat (do a class once a week) and I have a pilates vhs that I do from time to time.

I'm thinking
pushups (which i can do modified)
crunches
squats
lunges

am I missing any major muscle groups?

Jennika

TRIBE Member
don't underestiamte yoga and pilates either. they really help build lean muscle and stretch out yor body in that sexy toned way with all the isometric training... plus they're great for the soul as well.

sugar

TRIBE Member
Right now I am trying to get back into working out regularly. So far it's just pilates and treadmill (and going out dancing - it counts!), and going for walks. I hope to add in a spinning class and some aquafit too.

KillaLadY

TRIBE Member
I just got back from an hour bike ride... holy shit, it's like double the workout in this weather!

I LOVE MY NEW DOUBLE-SUSPENSION BIKE!!! We spent over 6 bones in Sportchek today, but that's ok, because we got some mad sales.

This is my new baby:
m4630247_DB_Lucky_largeImage.jpg

ravinjunkie

TRIBE Member
Jennika said:
don't underestiamte yoga and pilates either. they really help build lean muscle and stretch out yor body in that sexy toned way with all the isometric training... plus they're great for the soul as well.

Which one would have more benefits? Yoga or Pilates?

angelsole

TRIBE Member
dyad said:
I'm thinking
pushups (which i can do modified)
crunches
squats
lunges

am I missing any major muscle groups?
you may want to do something for your back as well. other than that i think you have it mostly covered. if you want to work on your arms to tricep dips or pushups are always a good addition.

KillaLadY

TRIBE Member
don't forget the free-standing rows, or rows with the machine.

Also, use the big ball to do circles while squating to work your lats and obliques. (many miss the sides).

Gfunkdiva

TRIBE Member
Skipper said:
this thread is making me feel lazy. right now I'm not doing anything.

lol what happened to us???? we were doing so well!! OK I'm making a commitment for this week - today I can't do anything, but tomorrow will be yoga class, W - cardio and upper body, Th- cardio and lower body, and F- Body Pump. Won't get me fit for pride, but it's a start!

What are you going to do? Maybe we should make another power walk date soon? (seems to work well for the other gals here!)

Skipper

TRIBE Member
I actually just had a power walk date on the weekend! (better than nothing)

We should do another one soon...

I'm going to do yoga at the office gym today.

Isn't it sad...I have access to a gym in my office, and a gorgeous one near my apartment, and I don't use either! gah.

grumblegirl

TRIBE Member
i was doing pretty well with home workouts (either step aerobics, or pilates, depending on the day), but then it got rudely hot, and now i'm just going for a walk in the evenings.

i have a form of muscular dystrophy which makes it difficult for me to do many kinds of exercise for enough time to make it a real workout, so when i find something that works - i stick with it.

swimming laps was pretty good for the winter, when i was recovering from the bursitis i had in my hip, but my membership expired, and i'm too broke to buy another one for the moment. so walks will have to do for now.
[apparently - 30 mins of laps is the same amount of cardio/fat-burning as an HOUR of running!]

on the upside - i finally lost the stubborn 10 lbs i wanted to lose all winter, just from increasing my walking a little, and doing the occasional workout when a walk didn't suit my mood. yay! [also probably have to give 'thanks' to the huge stress i've been under lately for a decreased appetite and 'stress stomach'.]

Jennika

TRIBE Member
ravinjunkie said:
Which one would have more benefits? Yoga or Pilates?

I find they both are good at giving you lean muscle mass and toning. Pilates is more of a core workout while yogs is more toning overall so I couldn't chose just one, sorry.

but I find Pilates easier to get into since it's less... um, confusing than yoga and more fittness focused while yoga is about the body and soul

barkley

TRIBE Member
I am so excited!! I was trying to think of a way to get some good, sweaty exercise on a regular basis as I can't afford a gym right now (I do yoga regularly, but I like to sweat more sometimes). I was dreaming about when I had a friend's Nordic Track for a few months and how much I had loved it. I checked the webste and yes, they were still $600, so I put the dream aside. I decided to go out for a walk and, lo and behold, on the sidewalk was a Nordic Track with a 'free' sign on it! I brought it home (a workout in itself) and tried it out and it WORKS!! It needs a bit of a clean up but I think it will suit my purposes perfectly!!

SO EXCITED!!

I have never had arms like the arms I acheived with the Nordic Track/yoga combo, so lets hope I can regain them!

mandapanda

TRIBE Member
i would like to do more in terms of "working out", but as it stands, i walk to and from work every day which is like an hour total and i'm a fast walker. (it pains me to walk slowly. i cannot do it!) i also take one ballet class a week. i'd love to take more classes, but i'm actually trying to save money, not spend it. i hate gyms and the thought of being on a treadmill or something for 30 minutes makes me want to poke my eyes out. so i think the only thing that would motivate me to do more would be to take more dance classes cos that's something i love. oh wait, i would definitely like to try pilates. and i just can't get into yoga.

Last edited:

Trillian

TRIBE Member
I joined the YMCA at Yonge/Wellesley for the swimming and it's awesome. I have bad knees so the swimming is pretty therapeutic. I started doing this deep water aerobics class and it's quite challenging. I must say I'm really enjoying the Y; it's a lot cheaper, all team sports, squash, karate, yoga is included in the price!

I'm so glad I didn't stay with Bally's...Ick.

Gfunkdiva

TRIBE Member
Just finished a yoga class and I feel GREAT! I just love it.

AND I bit the bullet and signed up for a locker at the gym. It's an extra $20 a month but will be soooo worth it to not have to schlep my shoes, toiletries etc every day and I'm hoping it'll help get me there in the mornings.

I did a Body Pump (weightlifting) class on Friday and I could barely move all weekend! It felt fantastic though - I feel my resolve for a regular routine is strengthening... now if I could just stick with it for more than a few months...