• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

The Work of Director...

comma splice

TRIBE Member
I am very excited about these DVDs. All three DVDs have some of the most memorable msuic videos since the medium became a form of artistic expression, and not just the band performing on screen.

All three are loaded with commentaries from the directors and the artists of the videos. Definately worth looking at.

deep

TRIBE Member
WE WATCHED THE CHRIS CUNNINGHAM ONE AT STORMSHADOW'S PLACE.

THE VIDEOS ARE ALL VERY LONG.

I LIKE BEEF. AND CHRIS CUNNINGHAM.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

comma splice

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by el presidente Highsteppa
The Michael Gondry one I liked a lot, almost as much as the Chris Cunningham one. Gondry has a weird, storybook, dreamlike quality to his videos.
his Foo Fighters Everlong video comes to mind.

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Thanks to one of my favourite Tribers for Cunningham's demo reel a few years back which includes all his commercials too. I have been a fan of his for a long time now and it's good to see this shit come out. This is LONG overdue in my world. Like 10 years.

And Michael Gondry is a genius.

I got the Spike Jonze one for Christmas. Can't wait to crack it open.
You can get all of these at Queen Video.

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Now all they need is:

David Lachapelle
Mark Romanek
Little X
Jonas Akerland
Sophie Muller
and the guy who does the Air videos: I forgit his name right now.

comma splice

TRIBE Member
picked up Jonze and Cunningham, love 'em both.

does anyone know the Aphex Twin tune Cunningham uses for Monkey Drummer? The song title is not listed in the credits.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

rejenerate

TRIBE Member
I'd also like to see collections for:

Anton Corbijn
David Fincher
Floria Sigismondi
Jean-Baptiste Mondino

And from the 80s...

Tim Pope
Julian Temple
Mary Lambert
Steve Barron (Take on Me, Billy Jean, Borderline)
Russell Mulcahy (lots of Duran)

~jen

I really, really, really hope these directors choose a good feature to debut their talent. They have so much visual potential, but I fear for their choice of scripts should they choose to make a feature film (Spike Jonez is excepted of course, having hit two for two with Being John Malkovich and Adaptation).

Last year featured some of the worst debuts from music video directors (Texas Chainsaw Massacre comes to mind), and so far, this year's Torque borders on the so bad it's almost good territory. But for the most part, a music video director going to screen full time is a horrible, horrible, horrible thing to do to audiences.

Access

TRIBE Member
Picked up the Spike Jonze. It was great. Just the fact that i have all those videos on one disc that i can watch anytime is beuatiful.

Next I'm gonna go with the Chris Cunningham. I'd go with the Micheal Gondry, but i already alot of his work on the Bjork Volumen DVD that i got just for his videos.

kat

TRIBE Member
i saw the thing in res the other day

i had almost forgotten these were coming out..

finananily! yay!

Dr Funk MD

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by rejenerate

David Fincher

~jen
Yes, most definitely! With the notable exception of Janie's Got A Gun. I could live the rest of my life in perfect happiness if I didn't have to hear that stupid song again.

OhNo!

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by rejenerate

Anton Corbijn
David Fincher
Floria Sigismondi
Jean-Baptiste Mondino

And from the 80s...

Tim Pope
Julian Temple
Mary Lambert
Steve Barron (Take on Me, Billy Jean, Borderline)
Russell Mulcahy (lots of Duran)

~jen
Floria all the way,all the fucking way.on top of her impeccable videos and photography she is gorgeous,yummm.

rentboy

TRIBE Member
saw the Jonze one last week.

I LOVE his vid for that Pharcyde tune...and the extras on this were enjoyable, from the Torrance dance group sessions to the Fatlip doc...an essential viewing.

Still have to see the Gondry.

I managed to see the trailer for Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind last night, Michel Gondry I think is going to have the Adaptation/Being John Malkovich of 2004 on his hands.

oeretS

TRIBE Member
These DVD's are absolutely essential viewing, even if you've seen some of the vids they make for a superb collection. Can't wait for more...

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories