• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

the wine appreciation thread

Bacchus

TRIBE Promoter
I did the Iniskillin wine club thing. It's really nice, you get some decent wines, sometimes even ice wine that's over the value. They also provide little cards for recipes that would go great with that specific wine.

I'm sure Peller is done in the same way.
They sure do. Celebrity Chef recipes, etc.

I think we're going to go for the Hillebrand. It's the same owner, same price - but the wines seem a bit better quality.

rudebwoy

TRIBE Member
While in Niagara-on-the-Lake, last week - i discovered a new wine.

It might just have become my new favorite Red. My previous go-to reserve for girlled meats was Perrin & Fils' Chateau-Neuf-du-Pape.

however, after trying 30 Bench's 2008 Reserve Merlot .... i am now simply blown away.

We took home a bottle for $27 . This bottle isn't available at the LCBO, and only at their private store. Anybody who has the means to, SHOULD try this red.

2008 Small Lot Merlot
30 bench has been producing great wines for a while, and their small lot series are usually fantastic. they do a couple single-vineyard rieslings that are great examples of bench riesling. if you had driven a little further around the corner, john howard's megalomaniac 08 reserve reds are banging as well.

beamsville in general is producing some great wines, red & white. the cab franc coming out of the bench is pretty much amazing. tawse (laundry vineyard especially), vineland estates, stoney ridge, megalo, the good earth, are all making nice, ripe cab franc. and the chardonnays are getting pretty, pretty nice too.

c.

Bacchus

TRIBE Promoter
30 bench has been producing great wines for a while, and their small lot series are usually fantastic. they do a couple single-vineyard rieslings that are great examples of bench riesling. if you had driven a little further around the corner, john howard's megalomaniac 08 reserve reds are banging as well.

beamsville in general is producing some great wines, red & white. the cab franc coming out of the bench is pretty much amazing. tawse (laundry vineyard especially), vineland estates, stoney ridge, megalo, the good earth, are all making nice, ripe cab franc. and the chardonnays are getting pretty, pretty nice too.

c.
we didn't go to 30bench, actually. We tried the wines at the Peller store, in niagara-on-the-lake.

we've debated joining their wine club (which is more expensive, and only sends 3 times a year), just to get their great wines

rudebwoy

TRIBE Member
we didn't go to 30bench, actually. We tried the wines at the Peller store, in niagara-on-the-lake.

we've debated joining their wine club (which is more expensive, and only sends 3 times a year), just to get their great wines
makes sense, as Andrew Peller Ltd owns 30 Bench, but operate it as a separate, 'boutique' winery. next time you're planning a trip down to niagara, do yourself a favour and hit up the Beamsville area wineries.

c.

Illuminati

TRIBE Member
I've had the opportunity to travel to Mendoza Argentina this year and after drinking the local Malbec (yes, the one brought in to Canada by LCBO is piss compared to what they have there), I realized I really don't like any other wine in the world, I don't care if it's French, Italian, etc.

They truly make exquisite reds.
First, Malbec, isn't "one", it's a grape varietal originating from France and used in Cahors and Bordeaux. So, in fact, you're drinking French wine made in Argentina from french vines/grapes.

Also, LCBO doesn't import wine for Canada, just Ontario. There are plenty of great Malbecs from Argentina available via the LCBO or wine agents here in Ontario. Maybe you just haven't tried very hard to seek them out or try the vast amount of options actually available in Ontario.

Personally, I'd stick to Cahors which I think is the perfect example of how the Malbec grape should be treated opposed to the Argentine version which i find too concentrated and unctuous. I actually find that with most Southern Hemsiphere wines. Too juicy and not complex enough for me.

Bacchus

TRIBE Promoter
makes sense, as Andrew Peller Ltd owns 30 Bench, but operate it as a separate, 'boutique' winery. next time you're planning a trip down to niagara, do yourself a favour and hit up the Beamsville area wineries.

c.
Word. I actually grew up in Welland, and visited Stone Ridge when i was younger :)

Beamsville/Vineland was a 30 minute bike ride from my front door, growing up.

KillaLadY

TRIBE Member
First, Malbec, isn't "one", it's a grape varietal originating from France and used in Cahors and Bordeaux. So, in fact, you're drinking French wine made in Argentina from french vines/grapes.

Also, LCBO doesn't import wine for Canada, just Ontario. There are plenty of great Malbecs from Argentina available via the LCBO or wine agents here in Ontario. Maybe you just haven't tried very hard to seek them out or try the vast amount of options actually available in Ontario.

Personally, I'd stick to Cahors which I think is the perfect example of how the Malbec grape should be treated opposed to the Argentine version which i find too concentrated and unctuous. I actually find that with most Southern Hemsiphere wines. Too juicy and not complex enough for me.
Sorry, I am a simple girl that just likes good red wine... and to me, the grape varietal called Malbec from Argentina is my favourite.

ravinjunkie

TRIBE Member
Hey Jay,
I wanted to ask your recommendations for a Cabernet Sauvignon perhaps from Chile or Italy. Price point can range from $15 to $40, again depends on your recommendation.

I love Pinot Girgio and would love to hear your thoughts. I've had Barefoot from California, quite like it and the price. Not sure if I can read the 33 pages of this thread to find out more recommendations.

I've also found this list Toronto BYOW restaurant map - interactive map of all Toronto's BYOW restaurants - Have I understood this correctly that you would have to pay to bring your own wine? I'm wondering if this list is up to date.

I loved this cheap Quebec wine. I would love go back spend extra time in SAQ looking for what we got last time.

futronic

TRIBE Member
Hey Jay,
I wanted to ask your recommendations for a Cabernet Sauvignon perhaps from Chile or Italy. Price point can range from $15 to $40, again depends on your recommendation.

I love Pinot Girgio and would love to hear your thoughts. I've had Barefoot from California, quite like it and the price. Not sure if I can read the 33 pages of this thread to find out more recommendations.

I've also found this list Toronto BYOW restaurant map - interactive map of all Toronto's BYOW restaurants - Have I understood this correctly that you would have to pay to bring your own wine? I'm wondering if this list is up to date.

I loved this cheap Quebec wine. I would love go back spend extra time in SAQ looking for what we got last time.
I somehow missed the bump in this thread. Let me get back to you on some wine recommendations later today.

As for Pinot Grigio, I'm not a fan. Generally speaking I find it lacks character, and I think you can do much better for you the money. In particular, Italian whites from the south are much more interesting and are very affordable. Wines such as Greco di Tufo, Falanghina, and Vermentino can be great. Even Soave from good producers in the Veneto put out great wines. Again, let me see what's available at the LCBO right now and post a list.

Some restaurants in Ontario do allow you to BYOW. The majority charge a corkage fee that ranges from $10-40, so it's a little different than in Montreal. I've found that $20-25 is the most common rate. The website you listed is out of date, so I'd try the Corkage Toronto. It's not consistently updated, so I'd still call the restaurant to confirm whether BYOW is allowed and what the fee is. At least it's a starting point.

Toronto Life also offers BYO information. You can search restaurants and add a filter for it.

-- Jay aka Fut

rudebwoy

TRIBE Member
As for Pinot Grigio, I'm not a fan. Generally speaking I find it lacks character, and I think you can do much better for you the money. In particular, Italian whites from the south are much more interesting and are very affordable. Wines such as Greco di Tufo, Falanghina, and Vermentino can be great. Even Soave from good producers in the Veneto put out great wines. Again, let me see what's available at the LCBO right now and post a list.

-- Jay aka Fut
agree 100%...one of my personal favourites right now:

c.

Big Cheese

TRIBE Member
Generally speaking I find it lacks character, and I think you can do much better for you the money.
i've done several alsatian tastings over the years and i always find the grape done there, to be quite expressive (granted at the grand cru level, nonetheless), VQA gris i've had, here and there, are easy on the wallet/palette too

oddly enough, mentioning lack of character, i feel the same way about Falanghina. even at the consulate general tasting where you're usually gonna find some esoteric grapes and/or expressions of a varietal that really pop, they usually fall flat for me imho

much like gris, those southern ones you mentioned, i'd rather spend my money supporting ontario/bc wineries if the majority of them are gonna be mediocre, as i often find them to be. i'll let everyone else hem and haw on which white grape to champion this year bottled south of rome, as long as we're all past that nasty Grüner Veltliner phase :rolleyes: fuckin wine nerds

futronic

TRIBE Member
BC:

Alsatian Pinot Gris is a very different animal than nasty Pinot Grigio from Italy. I agree that producers in France generally do a better job with it. The few Pinot Gris' from Ontario I've tried have been horrible - especially from Angel's Gate. Horrible.

As for Falanghina, Terredora is a safe bet. Their Greco di Tufo is significantly better though. The Feudi di San Gregorio that rude mentioned is also good, but unfortunately that usually needs to be purchased from the agent as a consignment wine.

And don't get me started on Gruner Veltliner. Or the trainwreck of a marketing ploy calling it "Grooney." Blech.

-- Jay aka Fut

ravinjunkie

TRIBE Member
Finally visited Cave Spring gift shop, where I specifically went to pick up Cave Spring Indian Summer Select Late Harvest [dessert wine, not as sweet as ice wine].

Ended up sampling.

For those who like white wine - 4

Cave Spring 2011 - Riesling is fantastic.
It is sweet, but not too dry.

https://wineshop.cavespring.ca/riesling

orchid

TRIBE Member
Could someone in the know please make some dessert wine and dessert pairing suggestions for me? I'm trying to avoid port and ice wine. I thought a nice sweet dessert bubbly would be awesome, but I'm flex ...dessert red wine, or a muscat, or sweet riesling. anyone have a fave? I know nothing about dessert wine. Thanks!

orchid

TRIBE Member
Thanks! And what would you serve with it?

I'm taking part in this dinner party thing where I have to provide a dessert wine or port with dessert. Great idea, btw, if you're into wine and food pairing. It's a dinner party for 6, and each person is responsible for one of the following food and wine course:

- appetizer with bubbly
- appetizer with white
- main with new world red
- main with old world red
- main with ontario red
- dessert/cheese with dessert wine or port

You only have to cook enough food for 2, so everyone is just sampling each course. One course is served per hour over the evening, starting at 6pm. Kinda excited!

rudebwoy

TRIBE Member
Thanks! And what would you serve with it?

I'm taking part in this dinner party thing where I have to provide a dessert wine or port with dessert. Great idea, btw, if you're into wine and food pairing. It's a dinner party for 6, and each person is responsible for one of the following food and wine course:

- appetizer with bubbly
- appetizer with white
- main with new world red
- main with old world red
- main with ontario red
- dessert/cheese with dessert wine or port

You only have to cook enough food for 2, so everyone is just sampling each course. One course is served per hour over the evening, starting at 6pm. Kinda excited!
there's a whole world of dessert wines besides port and ice wines. depends on what you're preparing for dessert, your price range, etc. Tokaji Aszu, Sauternes (or other "Botrytris affected" wines), Australian Noble "stickies", Madiera, Sherry, Vin Dous Natural from France (Muscat de Baumes-des-Venise or Banyuls for example), Italian Recioto della Valpolicella, Mistelles like Pineau des Charentes from France or even one from Ontario's Peninsula Ridge's Ratafia (basically grape juice with brandy added to it). Rule of thumb for pairing desserts and wine is to ensure that the wine is sweeter than the dessert.

c.

orchid

TRIBE Member
Thanks for the suggestions, guys! The panna cotta idea looks great.

I'm doing some research and starting to get the hang of this. I have it in my mind to do a trio of dessert tasters, but from what I've been reading, different desserts will need different wines, so that might be a bit out of my budget (plus it will be a lot of work).