• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

the wine appreciation thread

futronic

TRIBE Member
Nope. But considering it's labeled as organic I don't hold much hope for it. 99% of the time I'm disappointed in organic and biodynamic wines as I've already stated in this thread.

-- Jay aka Fut

OutcastTO

TRIBE Member
Nope. But considering it's labeled as organic I don't hold much hope for it. 99% of the time I'm disappointed in organic and biodynamic wines as I've already stated in this thread.

-- Jay aka Fut
Bonterra's 'The McNab' is pretty good if you haven't had the opportunity to try it.

cosmosuave

TRIBE Member
Not surprised that got your attention! :) Have you stocked up yet?

While I haven't had that specific bottle, I've yet to be impressed by any vintage of any label coming out of that winery so I'll look in other areas.

-- Jay aka Fut
Is LCBO carrying Nino Franco again?

futronic

TRIBE Member
Yes. The most recent batch was released October 10th. Lots of product around, so it makes sense to stock up well before the holidays.

-- Jay aka Fut

futronic

TRIBE Member
Generally speaking I'm not big on Super Tuscans, preferring indigenous varietals instead. Steep price point also.

-- Jay aka Fut

i lix

TRIBE Member
oh great and all-knowing tribians:

i was given a 2001 masi campofiorin for my birthday years ago and was wanting to crack it open tonight... is it too soon or aged just enough?

i don't know how to sift through the myriad of winesites to find the answer, so any feedback would be appreciated.

thanks!

ThePlunger

TRIBE Member
This thread needs some revival.

What are people drinking these days? I assume people aren't spending as much as they used to. I generally go to my old friend Riesling for daily consumption. Alsatian, german or canadian.

New things for the cellar for those collector's out there:
4 pack of Karl Lawrence Beckstoffer To-Kalon Vineyard Cabernet 2005 (Oakville)
4 pack of Karl Lawrence Beckstoffer Dr. Crane Vineyard Cabernet 2005 (Rutherford)
6 pack of Continuum 2006 (Tim Mondavi's new project - they bought the Cloud View vineyard/estate on Pritchard Hill above Oakville although most of their grapes are coming from Beckstoffer To-Kalon)
2 bottle of Lokoya 2004 Diamond Mountain
6 Bottles of 2007 Peter Michael chardonnay (2 Belle Cote estate, 2 Belle-Fille, 2 Carriere)

Clearly on a California kick right now...

Matt

futronic

TRIBE Member
I haven't bought much over the past few months because there really hasn't been much of interest to snag! As for drinking, haven't had many big dinners as of late but here are some wines of interest in the past couple months:

1990 Fuligni Brunello di Montalcino (gorgeous)
1998 Paolo Conterno Barolo Ginestra (great but too young)
1999 Charles Ellner Brut Prestige (tasty and good value)
2003 Chateau La Tour Blanche Sauternes (awesome, long life ahead)
2005 Montecastro Ribera del Duero (tasty enough with a lot of air, but will benefit with more cellaring)
2004 Rivera Castel del Monte Il Falcone Riserva (Nero di Troia blend - excellent)
2003 Dino Illuminati Montepulciano d'Abruzzo Riserva Zanna (excellent, still young)
2005 Paitin Barbaresco Sori'Paitin (excellent, very very very young)
1996 Produttori del Barbaresco Barbaresco Riserva Montestefano (nice nose but palate needs 5+ years to come around)
2007 Livio Felluga illivo (excellent, lush white from Fruili)
2001 Produttori del Barbaresco Barbaresco (the normale is just entering it's drinking window. Delicious, feminine expression of Nebbiolo)

There are some decent daily drinkers coming out this weekend but I'll snag my fill of them before posting here. :p I am clearly *not* on a California kick and don't have much interesting in adding wines from the region to my cellar. Part of that has to due with the ridiculous pricing across the board in Ontario, the rest being the majority of the wines are not to my palate preference.

-- Jay aka Fut

ThePlunger

TRIBE Member
Huge Trade for the cellar!! (jay, maybe you can weigh in on this)

I just traded a DRC Grands Echezeaux 2005 for a Harlan Estate 1994!!!

Me thinks I got a pretty good deal:p

Matt

PS - Livio Felluga fucking rocks!!

futronic

TRIBE Member
The 1994 Harlan is pretty spectacular. A generous friend opened one to share in September. Notes:

• 1994 Harlan Estate - USA, California, Napa Valley (11/7/2008)
    Wino Guys Weekend (WGW) #2; 11/7/2008-11/8/2008: Opaque purple/black colour. Aromas of black licorice, herbes de Provence, blackberry, vanilla, black olive tapenade. and hints of pencil lead. Full-bodied, balanced, with great acidity and focus. Initially a little restrained on the palate, it opens to show a melange black fruits and a bit of black licorice leading into a 35-40s finish with just a touch of alcohol on the back end. Lovely stuff! 95+. (95 pts.)
Posted from CellarTracker

That said, I don't know which bottle I would prefer to have in the cellar! As for the Harlan, it's in the sweet spot, so I would drink up.

-- Jay aka Fut

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Aromas of black licorice, herbes de Provence, blackberry, vanilla, black olive tapenade. and hints of pencil lead.
That is going to be my new fb status update! what are you doing up at this hour talking 'bout wine jay?

futronic

TRIBE Member
LOL! The wine had a fantastic nose.

Anyway, I talk about wine all the time - doesn't matter the hour! I'm drinking cappuccino and getting ready to leave for work.

-- Jay aka Fut

Big Cheese

TRIBE Member
the dec 11th vintages release has some fucking BOMBS... i'm looking to drop in at at least 7 or 8 dif bottles alone for the hoildays. just for straight up drinking, 75% of those are under $25 and are under apprciated and imho undervalued. i'm sure you could lay down a few for 5-10 +/- years but them shits is too good to collect dust just to crack for a dinner in 8 years time.

Aerius Zension

TRIBE Member
Anyone familiar with J. Lohr wines? I was at Ciao Wine Bar and saw a reco for their Cab Sav on Foursquare. It was a 2006. I was impressed, but never really dived into California wines before.

Bacchus

TRIBE Promoter
While in Niagara-on-the-Lake, last week - i discovered a new wine.

It might just have become my new favorite Red. My previous go-to reserve for girlled meats was Perrin & Fils' Chateau-Neuf-du-Pape.

however, after trying 30 Bench's 2008 Reserve Merlot .... i am now simply blown away.

We took home a bottle for $27 . This bottle isn't available at the LCBO, and only at their private store. Anybody who has the means to, SHOULD try this red.

2008 Small Lot Merlot

I think we're going to sign up to the Peller Estates wine club too. For $40 a month, they send two two bottles of wine a month. Your choice of red, white or combo. It's delivered to your door, shipping included. All wines are select wines unavailable a tthe LCBO.

erika

TRIBE Member
Anyone familiar with J. Lohr wines? I was at Ciao Wine Bar and saw a reco for their Cab Sav on Foursquare. It was a 2006. I was impressed, but never really dived into California wines before.
Yup. It's actually one of the Vintages "classics" or whatever they call those. Quite reliable.

Wow; I just realized I was responding to a 2010 post. Oh well, better late than never :p

djfear

TRIBE Member
While in Niagara-on-the-Lake, last week - i discovered a new wine.

It might just have become my new favorite Red. My previous go-to reserve for girlled meats was Perrin & Fils' Chateau-Neuf-du-Pape.

however, after trying 30 Bench's 2008 Reserve Merlot .... i am now simply blown away.

We took home a bottle for $27 . This bottle isn't available at the LCBO, and only at their private store. Anybody who has the means to, SHOULD try this red.

2008 Small Lot Merlot

I think we're going to sign up to the Peller Estates wine club too. For $40 a month, they send two two bottles of wine a month. Your choice of red, white or combo. It's delivered to your door, shipping included. All wines are select wines unavailable a tthe LCBO.
I did the Iniskillin wine club thing. It's really nice, you get some decent wines, sometimes even ice wine that's over the value. They also provide little cards for recipes that would go great with that specific wine.

I'm sure Peller is done in the same way.

KillaLadY

TRIBE Member
I've had the opportunity to travel to Mendoza Argentina this year and after drinking the local Malbec (yes, the one brought in to Canada by LCBO is piss compared to what they have there), I realized I really don't like any other wine in the world, I don't care if it's French, Italian, etc.

They truly make exquisite reds.