• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

the wine appreciation thread

eddie

TRIBE Member
what do you not think my posts are serious?
another great wine this release
pirramimma cabernet sauvignon
australia

kennyboy

TRIBE Member
I think the fact that you spell a lot of the wines incorrectly throws people. Not sure if you are being serious or not.

Sorry, didn't mean to offend.

:)

eddie

TRIBE Member
thanks kenny boy. I guess all the drugs from my rave days is hindering my spelling. On a serious note i am a huge wine enthusiust..
just a poor speller

futronic

TRIBE Member
Thanks for your input Eddie.

On a more serious note, Jay, do you have any recommendations on upcoming releases?
The Nov. 7th release is pretty shitty. If I was to pick a few things it would be the following:

2007 Landmark Overlook Chardonnay, $32 - most vintages I've had of this back to 2001 have been good

Both the 2007 Catena Chardonnay and 2007 Concha Y Toro Chardonnay at $20 and $18 are consistently good if you like buttery chards.

I may try one bottle of the 2006 Pirramimma Cab, but this label has gone downhill after the 2002 vintage.

The 2007 Perrin Vinsobres Les Cornuds is a good wine from a strong vintage.

2005 Fontanafredda Barbaresco Coste Rubin has been good in the past. 2005 is turning out to be a bit of a forgotten vintage for Nebbiolo considering it's sandwiched between 2004 and 2006. The 1999 and 2001 were nice, but this will need a bit of cellaring.

Other comments:

I tasted the 2006 Cliff Lede Cab on Thursday and it's way overpriced. I'd buy at $30. Hell, I wouldn't pay $70 for their high-end Poetry (which actually retails for $200). Ridiculous.

No Sassicaia for me. $185 is crazy. Unless I win $50 million on Friday, then I'll buy a case.

Nov. 21st is the typical pre-Christmas big hitter release. Not that I'm a buyer of these wines, but here are some of the things on the list:

2005 Montelena Cabernet Sauvignon Estate
2006 Caymus Cabernet Sauvignon Special Select
2006 Catena Alta Malbec
2005 Elderton Command Shiraz
2007 Ben Glaetzer Anaperenna
2007 Beaucastel Chateauneuf-du-Pape
2005 Solaia (re-release)
2007 Castello della Sala Cervaro della Sala

And as the value pick, a re-release of the 2007 Domaine Galevan Cotes-du-Rhone Paroles de Femme at $15 will be available.

People will probably go apeshit for the 2007 Frescobaldi Tenuta di Castiglioni at $22 since Suckling gave it a ridiculous score.

-- J

eddie

TRIBE Member
The Nov. 7th release is pretty shitty. If I was to pick a few things it would be the following:

2007 Landmark Overlook Chardonnay, $32 - most vintages I've had of this back to 2001 have been good

Both the 2007 Catena Chardonnay and 2007 Concha Y Toro Chardonnay at $20 and $18 are consistently good if you like buttery chards.

I may try one bottle of the 2006 Pirramimma Cab, but this label has gone downhill after the 2002 vintage.

The 2007 Perrin Vinsobres Les Cornuds is a good wine from a strong vintage.

2005 Fontanafredda Barbaresco Coste Rubin has been good in the past. 2005 is turning out to be a bit of a forgotten vintage for Nebbiolo considering it's sandwiched between 2004 and 2006. The 1999 and 2001 were nice, but this will need a bit of cellaring.

Other comments:

I tasted the 2006 Cliff Lede Cab on Thursday and it's way overpriced. I'd buy at $30. Hell, I wouldn't pay $70 for their high-end Poetry (which actually retails for $200). Ridiculous.

No Sassicaia for me. $185 is crazy. Unless I win $50 million on Friday, then I'll buy a case.

Nov. 21st is the typical pre-Christmas big hitter release. Not that I'm a buyer of these wines, but here are some of the things on the list:

2005 Montelena Cabernet Sauvignon Estate
2006 Caymus Cabernet Sauvignon Special Select
2006 Catena Alta Malbec
2005 Elderton Command Shiraz
2007 Ben Glaetzer Anaperenna
2007 Beaucastel Chateauneuf-du-Pape
2005 Solaia (re-release)
2007 Castello della Sala Cervaro della Sala

And as the value pick, a re-release of the 2007 Domaine Galevan Cotes-du-Rhone Paroles de Femme at $15 will be available.

People will probably go apeshit for the 2007 Frescobaldi Tenuta di Castiglioni at $22 since Suckling gave it a ridiculous score.

-- J
I am really suprised you did not put the paul hobbs up in your report

futronic

TRIBE Member
I am really suprised you did not put the paul hobbs up in your report
I'm not. I'm simply not a fan of what Paul Hobbs is doing in Argentina. I had a selection of the Cobos wines and they were not to my tastes. 16.5%+ alcohol, hyper-extracted and overly sweet. I think a shot of tequila burned less going down. Didn't matter whether it was the Cab or Malbec.

Some of his Cabs from California are good though, especially from To-Kalon. Not worth the sticker price though.

-- Jay aka Fut

eddie

TRIBE Member
I'm not. I'm simply not a fan of what Paul Hobbs is doing in Argentina. I had a selection of the Cobos wines and they were not to my tastes. 16.5%+ alcohol, hyper-extracted and overly sweet. I think a shot of tequila burned less going down. Didn't matter whether it was the Cab or Malbec.

Some of his Cabs from California are good though, especially from To-Kalon. Not worth the sticker price though.

-- Jay aka Fut
did u try the Pirramimma Cab?

futronic

TRIBE Member
Not for this vintage. I've been unimpressed with every Cab after 2002. If I spot one in my travels I'll grab a tester with the soon-to-be-released 2006 but I won't go out of my way to track one down.

-- Jay aka Fut

Booty Bits

TRIBE Member
If anyone is heading to the wine show in Ottawa this weekend, shoot me a DM. I'll be pouring there. Cheers! :)
oh fun! my friend sue is going to be there. which booth should i tell her to hit up?

are any of the tribe wine people planning to take the wine course at George Brown College this winter?

Big Cheese

TRIBE Member
you'll have fun, lvl 1 is all about the basic grape varietals and their characteristics. lvl 2 is more about their regionality and more depth related to tastings and wine knowledge as a whole.

i think (matt) the plunger leads some classes, not 100% sure but pm him he might be of help with picking further intakes and specific instructors. some are just money while others are clowns and ask around so you feel comfortable with whose leading the classes along down the road. need anyother help, pm me or jay. we'll sort ya out.

also drinking this right now, nothing fancy, just a SA syrah that's easy on the eyes, tongue and wallet. also my fav SA producer atm

JoshuaReid

TRIBE Member
can someone recommend a great bottle of red wine ... i dont know too much about wine ... but i know i love cabernet sauvignon (sp?) ... maybe a good one of those .... the meal that we will be having is curried chicken and rice ... so something that goes good with spicy i suppose? (tend to be a fan of california'n wines as well)

OutcastTO

TRIBE Member
I would recommend a pinot noir if you're having a spicy curry.

As for which one, that depends on price range. If you've only got $12 Cono Sur from Chile is drinkable. If you're looking for something more expensive there are tonnes of options available.

futronic

TRIBE Member
Does it have to be red? White is much better with spicy food - especially something off-dry like a Gewurztraminer or a nice bottle of Nino Franco Prosecco di Valdobbiadene.

-- Jay aka Fut