• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

the wine appreciation thread

ThePlunger

TRIBE Member
I'm joining my wine-tarded friends for a Riesling/Pork fest today! I have however, snuck along some Kistler Vine Hill Chard! (you can still get it at summerhill)

Matt

Stop Bill C-10

kennyboy

TRIBE Member
Time to bump this one up.

Jay, any recent pick ups or recommendations?

I've been pretty quite as of late other than my 08 futures. Thoughts on the 05 Clos? I'm looking to get a few bottles to lay away for 20 years for my daughters 21st b-day.

futronic

TRIBE Member
sluggin back a bottle of Sottimano '05 Fausoni Barbaresco

so overpriced, but so goddamned tasty.

Atta boy. Try the Cotta. Even better.

BTW, the 2006 releases should probably end up about $10 cheaper a bottle due to a better exchange rate.

I am biased towards Sottimano's wines as I've visited the estate several times, had dinner with the family, etc.

Anyone interested in some ridiculous wines consumed lately should read my blog. Specifically posts here and here. Friday night at my buddy's cottage included one of the best flights I've ever had.

-- Jay aka Fut

Hybrid

TRIBE Member
For those who prefer Chardonnay, this is a must try.

char.jpg

The Bonterra vineyard is run using organic and biodynamic practices, the result is a most amazing wine. They also have a really good web site.

http://www.bonterra.com/

You can find this wine in the vintages section of most LCBO locations.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

futronic

TRIBE Member
I don't know if I would call Bonterra's wines amazing, but they're okay for $20. You could probably do better depending what's available at Vintages in a particular release.

Generally speaking organic and biodynamic wines (at least ones marketed as such) are pretty mediocre at best and insipid at worst. The one exception that I find consistently good are the wines from Montirius in the Southern Rhone. Their Vacqueyras and Gigondas is quite good.

-- Jay aka Fut

futronic

TRIBE Member
What part do you disagree with? That you can do better for $20 or that most organic and/or biodynamic wines are mediocre at best?

Top producers strive to minimize the amount of spraying they have to do in the vineyards and how many sulfites are added during the winemaking process. Sometimes it has to be done otherwise they'll lose the whole crop.

-- Jay aka Fut

djglobalkiller

TRIBE Promoter
we had bonterra at milestones, it sold well, more cab than chard. i found them to be a bit pricey at $55 each for customers, for what you were getting, but it is above grade commercial california wines..

if you're looking for a good organic, errazuriz (sp?) has a great cab, from south america, and its organic too, i think they made some other varietals too, but cant be sure,

the cab was nice and peppery

i agree with jay though, a few better choices for your pricepoint

i still stand by the modavi fume blanc, in the vintages for $24(if you can find a btl)

futronic

TRIBE Member
Nope.

If anyone is looking for decent Ontario quaffers, check out the wines from Hernder Estates. Most expensive wine is $20. The 2007 Riesling VQA is off-dry and good for $8.95, 2006 Cabernet Sauvignon VQA for $14.95 is also very good.

Skip the "Cellared in Canada" crap - from ANYONE. That's a rant for another post.

-- Jay aka Fut

depraved

TRIBE Member
Recently pulled a bottle of Jean-Claude Boisset Beaune Les Bressandes 2005 from the cellar. V. concentrated pinot noir. Worthwhile, so replaced it w/ 2 more, but won't be uncorked until at least year after next.

Hybrid

TRIBE Member
What part do you disagree with? That you can do better for $20 or that most organic and/or biodynamic wines are mediocre at best?

Top producers strive to minimize the amount of spraying they have to do in the vineyards and how many sulfites are added during the winemaking process. Sometimes it has to be done otherwise they'll lose the whole crop.

-- Jay aka Fut

I disagree with the fact that one must use pesticides to produce a great wine. There was a time before the invention of pesticides, and it is ignorant to assume that no great wines were produced untill the usage of chemical sprays.

Big Cheese

TRIBE Member
so the classics 'zine came to me today, made me sad that they had a snap of R. López de Heredia bodega in the inside cover, yet none of their wines made available in the current issue :^\

also, is there a push for more spanish wines this year on the market? or is it just me?

futronic

TRIBE Member
I disagree with the fact that one must use pesticides to produce a great wine. There was a time before the invention of pesticides, and it is ignorant to assume that no great wines were produced untill the usage of chemical sprays.

But that's where you're misinterpreting my point. I said that producers minimize the amount of spraying and chemicals being used. If they don't have to spray they won't. But if there is a lot of cool/damp weather, spraying must be done to prevent the onset of rot. If rot starts, you can lose the entire crop.

If you understand the organic/biodynamic certification process, you'll understand that vineyards must be pesticide free for a period of time (it varies country-by-country) but it's always more than one growing season (usually at least 3 if I recall). As such, if there's a run of less than ideal weather - even a single month - and rot starts, you have one of two choices - spray or lose your year's income from that vineyard. What do you think a winemaker is going to choose? A single spray prevents you from being labeled as organic/biodynamic.

And once again from a quality perspective, I've tasted many organic and biodynamic wines and more often than not they are very mediocre (at best). There are always exceptions, but overwhelming this is the case. The saving grace for these producers is that hippies are happy to drink plonk just because it says organic/biodynamic.

so the classics 'zine came to me today, made me sad that they had a snap of R. López de Heredia bodega in the inside cover, yet none of their wines made available in the current issue :^\

also, is there a push for more spanish wines this year on the market? or is it just me?

Greg, don't get me started on the catalogue and pricing. Yes, more Spanish wines on the market, but it's tough to get a gauge on quality without tasting them because Jay Miller has zero credibility with everything getting 95-100 lately and Thomas Matthews doesn't have a palate that calibrates well to mine.

More importantly, when are we getting together to drink some juice?

-- Jay aka Fut

Last edited:

Vote Quimby

TRIBE Member
Hey Jay and Greg, need some recommendation on Italian wineries. Found a place here that actually imports a good range of Italian vino. What are some wineries to keep an eye out for?

Cheers

futronic

TRIBE Member
Piedmont:

Giacomo Conterno
Aldo Conterno
Ceretto
Sottimano
Bruno Giacosa
Domenico Clerico
Bruno Rocca
Pecchinino

Tuscany:

Fuligni
Poggio Antico
Costanti
Uccelliera
Lisini
Casanova di Neri
Podere Poggio Scalette
Fonterutoli
Fontodi
Felsina

These are all favourites of mine. It really depends on how much you want to pay and whether you're looking for Barolo or Barbaresco or Barbera or Dolcetto from Piedmont, or Brunello or Chianti or IGT from Tuscany.

Then there's all the other regions also!

-- Jay aka Fut

gasper

TRIBE Member
Why can't Toronto restos do what I got to enjoy in Montreal this weekend?

The growing "Apportez Votre Vin" trend rules. Taking your own wine to a restaurant, and paying zero corkage fees is le supair awesome.

futronic

TRIBE Member
Why can't Toronto restos do what I got to enjoy in Montreal this weekend?

The growing "Apportez Votre Vin" trend rules. Taking your own wine to a restaurant, and paying zero corkage fees is le supair awesome.

It would be nice for good restaurants in Toronto to have no corkage fees, but it unfortunately isn't the reality. That said, I don't mind paying $25 corkage when it's a quality place with good stemware, service, etc. Loving Loire right now.

Edit: The restaurant Loire, not the region. Although I do love the region's wines as well. Mmmm ... Vouvray and Savenierres.

-- Jay aka Fut

Aerius Zension

TRIBE Member
I don't know if I would call Bonterra's wines amazing, but they're okay for $20. You could probably do better depending what's available at Vintages in a particular release.

Generally speaking organic and biodynamic wines (at least ones marketed as such) are pretty mediocre at best and insipid at worst. The one exception that I find consistently good are the wines from Montirius in the Southern Rhone. Their Vacqueyras and Gigondas is quite good.

-- Jay aka Fut

I'm going to have to agree with you. Did a blind taste test last night and I couldn't stand the organic red I tried. Forgot the bottle, but I believe it was an Ontario merlot.

futronic

TRIBE Member
I'm going to have to agree with you. Did a blind taste test last night and I couldn't stand the organic red I tried. Forgot the bottle, but I believe it was an Ontario merlot.

There's really no hope there in that case. It's a double-whammy. Organic AND from Ontario? Jesus Christ. You're more likely to extract oil from the sun than have quality with that combination.

-- Jay aka Fut

Vote Quimby

TRIBE Member
Piedmont:

Giacomo Conterno
Aldo Conterno
Ceretto
Sottimano
Bruno Giacosa
Domenico Clerico
Bruno Rocca
Pecchinino

Tuscany:

Fuligni
Poggio Antico
Costanti
Uccelliera
Lisini
Casanova di Neri
Podere Poggio Scalette
Fonterutoli
Fontodi
Felsina

These are all favourites of mine. It really depends on how much you want to pay and whether you're looking for Barolo or Barbaresco or Barbera or Dolcetto from Piedmont, or Brunello or Chianti or IGT from Tuscany.

Then there's all the other regions also!

-- Jay aka Fut

Thanks for the suggestions. Will be keeping my eye out for some of them.

Cheers