• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

the wine appreciation thread

futronic

TRIBE Member
Unfortunately it's not available at the LCBO. Actually, very few of the top 100 are actually available. Some may have been at one point or another though. I'd have to go through it in more detail, but maybe 30% have been offered. The vintage on the list may not have gone through the system yet, or has never been offered from the LCBO.

Some things could be acquired through agents, but that's a more hefty source (case lot purchases).

-- Jay aka Fut

Stop Bill C-10

kennyboy

TRIBE Member
Currently I have the following sitting in my cellar:

# 5
# 8
# 43
# 74
# 83

Won't be touching anything anytime soon, but it's nice to know they are sleeping in the basement and I will enjoy them some day.

jeffpayne

TRIBE Member
futronic said:
Unfortunately it's not available at the LCBO. Actually, very few of the top 100 are actually available. Some may have been at one point or another though. I'd have to go through it in more detail, but maybe 30% have been offered. The vintage on the list may not have gone through the system yet, or has never been offered from the LCBO.

Some things could be acquired through agents, but that's a more hefty source (case lot purchases).

-- Jay aka Fut

It was available here in Kelowna for maybe a week. I grabbed a bottle rather quickly and popped 'er open. I doubt that I'll see anymore though.

Big Cheese

TRIBE Member
yo jay, 2 boxes left of the costera @ kingsway ;)

also there has been quite a few great everyday drinking Rhône reds released through the lbco as of late.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

futronic

TRIBE Member
Yup. I've been crushing bottles of the Santa Duc Vieilles Vignes, some of the Pesquie, and checked out the Delas Cotes-du-Rhone as well. The Santa Duc kicks major ass.

Tonight is my wine group's 5 year anniversary dinner is on. Here's the lineup at my table (there may be some additional wines popped also):

1992 Dom Perignon
2006 Antinori Castello della Sala Cervaro della Sala (barrique aged Chardonnay/Grechetto blend from Umbria)
2003 Brancaia Ilatraia
1999 Banfi Brunello di Montalcino
2005 L'Aventure Estate (Syrah/Cab blend)
2002 Caymus Special Select
1992 Quinta do Vesuvio Vintage Port

-- Jay aka Fut

Last edited:

Big Cheese

TRIBE Member
you've been on quite the Grenache kick, eh?

the perrin vinsorbres has great upfront cherry, light spice and very balanced throughout. their rasteau is comming up for release (i remember going through quite a few of those bottles last year) as well. basically, all the Village wines in their portfolio i've ever tasted were at a affordable pricepoint and good to go.

going to pick up another bottle of R. López de Heredia crianza this afternoon. solid, solid wine imo

futronic

TRIBE Member
you've been on quite the Grenache kick, eh?

the perrin vinsorbres has great upfront cherry, light spice and very balanced throughout. their rasteau is comming up for release (i remember going through quite a few of those bottles last year) as well. basically, all the Village wines in their portfolio i've ever tasted were at a affordable pricepoint and good to go.

going to pick up another bottle of R. López de Heredia crianza this afternoon. solid, solid wine imo

I enjoy Grenache a lot. What I've been trying to do is stock up on sub-$20 daily drinkers/cellar defenders. There just happens to be a lot of good Cotes-du-Rhone lately!

Perrin's wines from the basic Cotes-du-Rhone Vintages Essentials product all the way to the CdP Hommage a Jacques Perrin are quality.

I'll definitely be giving the Rasteau a hook next week when released.

Illuminati: I haven't had the 1999 Banfi Brunello in 4 years, so it'll be nice to check in on it.

-- Jay aka Fut

gasper

TRIBE Member
I was able to carry 13 bottles back with me from Argentina, tax free. Arriving at customs at 6am and simply being honest were enough to get the friendly wave through :)

Opening something special for my birthday tonight... must decide.

djglobalkiller

TRIBE Promoter
im doing a wine tasting at my work

5 wines 4 courses of food for $50

Chile:Chardonnay 2007 Casablanca Valley
France: Syrah/Grenache 2005 or 2006 vintage
California: Waterstone 2006 Pinot Noir
Canada: Peller Private Reserve Dry Riesling 2007
Canada: Peller Late Harvest Vidal 2004 8.93

Cydome

TRIBE Member
I’m looking for something around $100, probably red, old world, ready to drink and currently available at the LCBO somewhere in the GTA/Hamilton/Niagara, to be enjoyed with a couple other winegeeks (ex-roommates). I have a few ideas, but I thought I’d throw it out there to see if you guys have any suggestions?

Preroller

TRIBE Member
Anyone know about Southbrook from niagara? I got a 2001 Triomphe cab-merlot for Christmas, didn't see it in my Hugh Johnson guide...

picked up a 2006 Catena malbec for $20 that was rated a 91, I think I'm going to enjoy that now.

Illuminati

TRIBE Member
I’m looking for something around $100, probably red, old world, ready to drink and currently available at the LCBO somewhere in the GTA/Hamilton/Niagara, to be enjoyed with a couple other winegeeks (ex-roommates). I have a few ideas, but I thought I’d throw it out there to see if you guys have any suggestions?

you'll easily find some ready to drink barolo's, amarone's, neuf's, bordeaux's in that price range.

you could probably get a couple solid rioja's as well.

can't roll off any producers of the top of my head but futronic probably can.

Illuminati

TRIBE Member
Anyone know about Southbrook from niagara? I got a 2001 Triomphe cab-merlot for Christmas, didn't see it in my Hugh Johnson guide...

picked up a 2006 Catena malbec for $20 that was rated a 91, I think I'm going to enjoy that now.

i had a southbrook cab-franc a while back and it was pretty solid.

gasper

TRIBE Member

The Catena Malbec 06 (Vintages Essentials collection) is a pretty decent example. A hearty, juicy malbec with just enough funk.

Booty Bits

TRIBE Member
last night i opened a Rodney Strong Russian River Valley Pinot Noir, and was very happy with it! it's got a vanilla thing going on.

and i've been plowing through way too much Matua Valley Hawkes Bay Sauvignon Blanc. it's become my go-to sauv blanc and it is too damn drinkable.

BigLove

TRIBE Member

Tignanello? It's about $100 and every winegeek I know loves it. It's available at most LCBO's with a decent vintages section.

futronic

TRIBE Member

"Ready to drink" for high end wines at the LCBO is a bit of an oxymoron. Especially old world. Regardless, consider some of these wines:

2006 Vieux Telegraphe Chateauneuf-du-Pape, $73, #951475
2006 Vieux Donjon Chateauneuf-du-Pape, $62, #700922

More later. Barolo is going to tough, as even wines from the very hot and ripe 2003 vintage are going to show significant tannin and are not "ready."

-- Jay aka Fut

Cydome

TRIBE Member
"Ready to drink" for high end wines at the LCBO is a bit of an oxymoron.

-- Jay aka Fut

I know they're pretty few and far between, that's why I thought I'd ask, in case there were some hidden gems out there that somehow managed to get overlooked by the general public, though not likely I know....

I found these, has anyone tried any of them and had their sox knocked off?

1999 BRUNELLO DI MONTALCINO DOCG (POGGIO SALVI
2001 BRUNELLO DI MONTALCINO RISERVA (BRIZIO)
1996 CH. LAFON ROCHET SAINT ESTEPHE
1996 CH. TOUR HAUT-BRION

kennyboy

TRIBE Member
2006 Vieux Telegraphe Chateauneuf-du-Pape, $73, #951475

Just picked some up today. Going to put it next to the 05 in the cellar and will hopefully continue to grab a few bottles each year for a vertical tasting in 10 years or so.

futronic

TRIBE Member
I know they're pretty few and far between, that's why I thought I'd ask, in case there were some hidden gems out there that somehow managed to get overlooked by the general public, though not likely I know....

I found these, has anyone tried any of them and had their sox knocked off?

1999 BRUNELLO DI MONTALCINO DOCG (POGGIO SALVI
2001 BRUNELLO DI MONTALCINO RISERVA (BRIZIO)
1996 CH. LAFON ROCHET SAINT ESTEPHE
1996 CH. TOUR HAUT-BRION

Pass on both those Brunello. The Poggio Salvi in 1999 was awful. I don't know how they managed to fuck up such a great vintage. The Brizio is a mediocre producer at best.

If you can find it, 2003 Fuligni Brunello di Montalcino is delicious, albeit a tad on the young side. It's about $75. Most other 2003 Brunello are uninspiring at best.

-- Jay aka Fut

Cydome

TRIBE Member
Pass on both those Brunello. The Poggio Salvi in 1999 was awful. I don't know how they managed to fuck up such a great vintage. The Brizio is a mediocre producer at best.

If you can find it, 2003 Fuligni Brunello di Montalcino is delicious, albeit a tad on the young side. It's about $75. Most other 2003 Brunello are uninspiring at best.

-- Jay aka Fut

Thanks man, good to know!

jeffpayne

TRIBE Member
Yup. I've been crushing bottles of the Santa Duc Vieilles Vignes, some of the Pesquie, and checked out the Delas Cotes-du-Rhone as well. The Santa Duc kicks major ass.

Tonight is my wine group's 5 year anniversary dinner is on. Here's the lineup at my table (there may be some additional wines popped also):

1992 Dom Perignon
2006 Antinori Castello della Sala Cervaro della Sala (barrique aged Chardonnay/Grechetto blend from Umbria)
2003 Brancaia Ilatraia
1999 Banfi Brunello di Montalcino
2005 L'Aventure Estate (Syrah/Cab blend)
2002 Caymus Special Select
1992 Quinta do Vesuvio Vintage Port

-- Jay aka Fut

how was the Ilatraia?

I've got the 03 in my cellar...actually it's on a truck heading to Toronto right now with all the rest of my juice.