• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

the wine appreciation thread

futronic

TRIBE Member
Also, Michael Vaughn can suck my balls. I don't think he has a very good palate (why he's recommending Santa Margherita Pinot Grigio, I have no idea). Also, his picture on his website is scary as shit and is only useful for instilling terror into children.

michael_photo.jpg

See what I mean?

-- Jay aka Fut

Stop Bill C-10

mgs

TRIBE Member
Tried a barrel sample of Norman Hardie's 2007 County Pinot Noir this weekend. Due to be bottled in about 3 weeks, and wow, probably the most complex and integrated wine to come out of the county yet. Can't wait!

futronic

TRIBE Member
I had a bottle of the 2006 Norman Hardie Pinot last Monday at Pic Nic Wine Bar (Broadview/Queen). Really tasty stuff. And the list markup there made it relatively reasonable too. $69 off the list, and it's $39 at this winery. Not bad at all.

It's not often I praise Ontario wine, but this was tasty.

-- Jay aka Fut

jeffpayne

TRIBE Member
A buddy of mine has been praising Norman Hardie wines for a few years now. I visited the winery last time I was kicking around Prince Edward County. Neat little winery. I was impressed with the Pinot even when I tasted it a couple of years ago. Good to hear that he's continueing to improve!

I went down south yesterday, I live in Kelowna BC, and visited a new winery, http://www.lastella.ca/index.php. It's http://www.levieuxpin.ca/ sister winery. They poured a wine called Maestoso. I'm under the impression that they harvested the grapes for this wine at one of Le Vieux Pin's vinyards. At $85 a bottle it's definitely asking a lot.....but I gotta tell ya, it's a fantastic wine! Big and structured with loads of dark plummy fruit (it is a merlot). It's only being released later this month at the winery but I figure I'm going to pick up a couple of bottles and see how things taste in a couple of years. I'm pretty excited about the possibilities!

kennyboy

TRIBE Member
It's been fairly quiet for purchases lately although i did grab a few bottle of

DOMAINE DU VIEUX LAZARET CHÂTEAUNEUF-DU-PAPE CUVÉE EXCEPTIONNELLE 2005

Order for 07 futures has been placed as well as a few bottles from the recent essentials.

Any recent pick ups or recommendations?

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

ThePlunger

TRIBE Member
I'm waiting to see if my Classic's allotment is gonna go through or not. D - R - C yo!

My everyday drinking wines right now are the two Tawse Sketches of Niagara wines (riesling - $18 and chard - $22). They both pack a lot of wine for your buck.

Matt

MoFo

TRIBE Member
I picked up the last few bottles of this at the LCBO...

Bava%20Logo.jpg

Despite the low alcohol content, I still love it. Thanks to Val, she got me hooked on something actually sweet.

kennyboy

TRIBE Member
Classics order in check. 3-4 week delivery and then it's into the cellar for 10 years.

This is getting to be an expensive hobby.

futronic

TRIBE Member
I ordered the 2004 Barolos from Vietti and got shut out once again. I haven't had even part of a Classics order filled since 2006, so I'm right pissed.

Drinking a 2006 Tenuta dell'Ornellaia Le Volte with a delmonico steak tonight, and it's okay. Grabbed the 2005 Lazaret Cuvee Exceptionnelle for the cellar, but picked an extra for a tasting next week.

Also grabbed some 2003 Illuminati Montepulciano d'Abruzzo Riserva Zanna from the importer last week. *WAY* better than the 86 points Suckling gave it, to no surprise. It's fucking awesome, needs 3-5 years, and will easily be in the 91-93 point range. Awesome for $26 a bottle.

-- Jay aka Fut

kennyboy

TRIBE Member
Jay, let me know after you've tasted the Lazaret. I grabbed a bunch last week so I'm curious to see what you think.

I picked up some Penfolds and Two Hands Bella's Shiraz from the classics and I've got to make another call for a few other picks. Expensive month for me.

gasper

TRIBE Member
Got my arrival notice for the BALTHASAR RESS RIESLING offer... a 1981-1985 vertical is in the cards. Should be fun!

ThePlunger

TRIBE Member
1 bottle of DRC 2005 Grands Echezeaux is now mine (or will be in a month)!! They only had 200 bottles total (of all Crus) and apparently 1500+ orders. Pretty happy about my luck.

On a side note, I just got 6 bottles of Louis Latour Batard-Montrachet '00 for $53 each. Don't ask me how though... bootlegging

Matt

jeffpayne

TRIBE Member
picked up a bottle of 2005 Domaine de Chevalier when I was in Toronto a few weeks back. I'm really looking forward to it. The owners of the property have really turned around the domaine in the last 15 years or so apparently.

On a side note, I just picked up a second job as a wine rep out here in the Okanagan for Tannin Fine Wines. Really looking forward to getting things up and running! :)

gasper

TRIBE Member
futronic said:
Also, Michael Vaughn can suck my balls. I don't think he has a very good palate (why he's recommending Santa Margherita Pinot Grigio, I have no idea). Also, his picture on his website is scary as shit and is only useful for instilling terror into children.

michael_photo.jpg

See what I mean?

-- Jay aka Fut

lol, yeah.

gasper

TRIBE Member
futronic said:
For $13, I've had way worse. I actually think it's a better wine than the $23 2006 Susana Balbo Signature Malbec.

Guess it depends on the style of wine you like.

-- Jay aka Fut

Agreed. The Balbo was a fruit bomb, but I chewed a glass with a steak and it was fabulous. Value for dollar, Altos Las Hormigas wins though.

kennyboy

TRIBE Member
Any recent picks for all you wine lovers?

My November classics order is in, now I get to wait and see if anything comes through.

JamesM

TRIBE Member
futronic said:

michael_photo.jpg

See what I mean?

-- Jay aka Fut

It looks like he has huge incisors!

futronic

TRIBE Member
kennyboy said:
Any recent picks for all you wine lovers?

My November classics order is in, now I get to wait and see if anything comes through.

I'm passing on Classics, since I placed an order on the new shop online website. Another online release Nov. 12th and some stuff that I'm trying to get in Montreal is more than enough this month.

I have to refer back to my notes about recent good picks that are still available.

-- Jay aka Fut

JAR

TRIBE Member
I can't remember the name, but sugar introduced me to a very tasty argentinian Malbec blend that goes for $7 and change...I wish I could remember the name.

best red bang for my buck these days.

gasper

TRIBE Member
There are a lot of inexpensive malbecs, but nothing general listed is worth buying, IMO. I'd rather spend $15-25 on something really good.

I buy only through Vintages and Private Order.. :)