• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

the wine appreciation thread

kennyboy

TRIBE Member
Any recomendations from tomorrow's release?

I know there's mixed opinions on Aussie shiraz, but I just found a bottle of 05 Massena 11th hour at my local store, which was a nice grab as I'd tried to get some in the small lot release some time ago. I'm sure it will be good when I open it in 10 years.

futronic

TRIBE Member
Both Chateauneufs will be good, although the Vieux-Telegraphe will be extremely difficult to come by. Expect to wait in line.

The d'Arenberg Galvo Garage is consistently good if you're looking for a big Aussie Bordeaux blend.

-- Jay aka Fut

gl*tch

TRIBE Member
Opened a bottle of Masi Costasera Amarone 2004 on Monday and I've been loving it all week!

Last night I went a little crazy and stocked up on Rieslings: a few from Ontario, one from NZ, and what I perceive to be an "easy-drinking" variety from Germany - Relax. I was most disappointed at the Manulife LCBO's lack of German Rieslings! I have a couple of Alsacian (sp?) Rieslings at home as well.

kennyboy

TRIBE Member
futronic said:
Both Chateauneufs will be good, although the Vieux-Telegraphe will be extremely difficult to come by. Expect to wait in line.

The d'Arenberg Galvo Garage is consistently good if you're looking for a big Aussie Bordeaux blend.

-- Jay aka Fut

Just picked up 2 bottles of the Vieux and they are safely tucked away in the wine fridge :)

gasper

TRIBE Member
Heads up!

Vintages has just announced Balthasar Ress (German Riesling) Vertical Offer (1982-1996) at RIDICULOUS prices.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

futronic

TRIBE Member
The 2006 Altesino Rosso at $19 should be a good bet. I'll try one tomorrow or Friday and report back. The 2004 was great. It's 80% Sangiovese, the remainder Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot.

The 2005 Quinta de Camarate at $16 should be a decent little wine again, although it's increased in price $1 per vintage over the past four years. Loved it at $12-13, it's getting to be a stretch at $16.

A few people will jump at the Castellani Cinque Stelle Amarone in this release. Castellani is a highly under-rated Amarone producer. This is one of the first times we've seen the Cinque Stelle here, as we usually get the regular Amarone and the fantastic Campo Casalin.

Going back to last release, you should also consider the 2006 Domaine Grand Veneur Cotes-du-Rhone Les Champauvins at $20. It's a single-vineyard Cotes-du-Rhone that is pretty darn tasty. Big fruit in a ripe style, but that's just the style of the winery. I think the 2005 Coudoulet de Beaucastel from Perrin is better, but that's $30 instead of $20.

-- Jay aka Fut

futronic

TRIBE Member
Sorry, not a big Aussie fan so I haven't tasted that. BVE makes the E&E Black Pepper which can be fantastic, so one would hope the E-minor would be of at least okay quality. This is a new low-to-middle range of wines from them, so it should be of better quality than the Spires range, but don't expect Ebeneezer or Black Pepper either.

-- Jay aka Fut

futronic

TRIBE Member
Will do. Picks are pretty slim right now, but I can usually wade through all the crap on the release lists and find at least one wine that's decent.

-- Jay aka Fut

jeffpayne

TRIBE Member
I agree that the Coudoulet de Beaucastel is a good pick from this release. I had the '04 on several occasions and I can only imagine that the '05 has a much better quality to price ratio. You generally can't go wrong with this wine IMO. Just let 'er sit for a few before devouring.

Also, I would be tempted to pick up a couple bottles of the Chateau du Chambert Cahors for $13. A fantastic producer of french malbec. Even though I imagine this is their entry level wine it would be worth a shot.

jeffpayne

TRIBE Member
futronic said:
The Coudoulet 2005 was released in mid-March, but there's still some around, and it's fantastic.

-- Jay aka Fut

Just saw some at my local shop for $34. Bit more pricey here but I'll pick up a couple of bottles within the next week.

kennyboy

TRIBE Member
Jay, what are your picks for some nice cellar keepers.

I'm looking to grab a few bottles to lay down for at least 3 years.

kennyboy

TRIBE Member
Ya, I guess I should have been a little more specific.

I'd like to get a few nice bottle of cab in the $40 - $50 range. Doesn't have to be California. Something that I can open in a few years and enjoy.

Most of my red is either Aussie or French but I don't really have any cab sav to speak of.

tobywan

TRIBE Member
street-sommelier.gif

futronic

TRIBE Member
gasper said:
I tried both Argentine malbecs and wasn't really wowed. The Altos Las Homigas at $13 isn't bad, but I've had better.

For $13, I've had way worse. I actually think it's a better wine than the $23 2006 Susana Balbo Signature Malbec.

I'm drinking Las Homigas right now and there's good fruit and acidity without being a wine that wallops you over the head. While the Susana Balbo was decent, I found it to be a low-acid fruit bomb and difficult to drink more than a glass of.

Guess it depends on the style of wine you like.

I was going to buy the 2001 Barbi Brunello di Montalcino at $50, but it's a $10 increase from the previous release (1999) and my local product consultant found it pretty disjointed. That said, drinking any 2001 Brunello right now will probably catch it in an awkward state. Plus, with a large release of 2004 Barolo coming as an Internet email offer in October and dwindling (available) cellar space, I decided to pass.

I instead picked up more 2005 Chateau de Beaucastel Coudoulet de Beaucastel at $30. I can't believe this is still sitting on shelves in some places. It's really tasty, and probably the best vintage of it since 2001.

-- Jay aka Fut