• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

the wine appreciation thread

gl*tch

TRIBE Member
you know, I have yet to find a pinot noir I like. Anything I've tried from Ontario has been really boring and flat.

Truthfully, I haven't made that much of an effort to find one tho..

rudebwoy

TRIBE Member
gl*tch said:
you know, I have yet to find a pinot noir I like. Anything I've tried from Ontario has been really boring and flat.

the Coyote's Run Black Paw 2004 is a good PN from ontario, won some awards too, i think...

c.

AdRiaN

TRIBE Member
I'm planning a trip to Niagara this weekend, and I'm turning to the winos of TRIBE for any recommendations on small or obscure wineries in the region. I've made many visits in the past and basically hit all of the wineries that sell through the LCBO (and a few that do not). Any ideas on where to go for something a bit different would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Hi i'm God

TRIBE Member
gasper said:
There was a $900 bottle of Latour in the Vintages booth at the Wine & Cheese show today. 1oz tasting was 50 tickets ($50). Fuck that. :p
I have an 83 Latour at home. It's probably bad though. I should auction it somewhere, how does that work?

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Hi i'm God

TRIBE Member
AdRiaN said:
I'm planning a trip to Niagara this weekend, and I'm turning to the winos of TRIBE for any recommendations on small or obscure wineries in the region. I've made many visits in the past and basically hit all of the wineries that sell through the LCBO (and a few that do not). Any ideas on where to go for something a bit different would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Marynissen bad lables but some killer wines. They have some of the oldest vies in ont too 30+ years.

It's on the lcbo but they are small and the best Ont has to offer imho.

ThePlunger

TRIBE Member
Tawse winery in Beamsville is making killer wine. Pascal marchand, a winemaker in burgundy makes the wine for them. Their Robyn's Block 04 chardonnay is stunning. They make excellent riesling and pinot too.

Penninsula ridge also makes a whole series of different chards that are all very good.

Look up Daniel Lenko. You can go have pie in his kitchen and talk to his mom (LOL). He also happens to make great viognier and syrah.

Other high quality wines come from: 30 bench, 13th street, Malivoire, Cave Spring, Henry of Pelham, Stratus, Le Clos Jordanne (I don't think they have a retail outlet).

Matt

futronic

TRIBE Member
gl*tch said:

Most Ontario reds are thin/flat/green. It's not just you. And for the money some wineries are charging, I'd rather spend that money elsewhere.

-- Jay aka Fut

futronic

TRIBE Member
ThePlunger said:
Look up Daniel Lenko. You can go have pie in his kitchen and talk to his mom (LOL). He also happens to make great viognier and syrah.

Lenko's mom passed away, if I recall, so no more pies. :(

-- Jay aka Fut

ThePlunger

TRIBE Member
Hi i'm God said:
I have an 83 Latour at home. It's probably bad though. I should auction it somewhere, how does that work?

Has it been stored properly??? That's the big question. If its been laying down in an appropriate space then I'm sure the wine is at least good, but not a great Latour. I would say that you probably wouldn't get more then $500 for it (in good condition).

I would drink it.

Matt

ThePlunger

TRIBE Member
gl*tch said:

I would advise that you go to Summerhill and find a primier cru Burgundy from the 2005 vintage. It will probably set you back $40-$60. If you don't like it, then you probably will never like Pinot Noir anyway and at least you know. Just because other people rave about it doesn't mean you have to like it.

Matt

Hi i'm God

TRIBE Member
ThePlunger said:
Has it been stored properly??? That's the big question. If its been laying down in an appropriate space then I'm sure the wine is at least good, but not a great Latour. I would say that you probably wouldn't get more then $500 for it (in good condition).

I would drink it.

Matt

Latour=/=Lafite :|
I'm 99% sure it's been stored improperly until the last 7 years anyway.
pouillac-grd.jpg

ThePlunger

TRIBE Member
Chateau Latour's wines are regarded as the most 'powerful' (tannic, acidic, longest living,etc) of the three Pauillac first growths. Chateau Mouton-Rothschild is regarded as the most "luscious" (tons of fruit, higher alcohol/viscosity, easier going tannin). Chateau Lafite-Rothschild's wine is regarded as the most "refined" (medium bodied, subtle, balanced, complex).

Matt

gl*tch

TRIBE Member
ThePlunger said:
I would advise that you go to Summerhill and find a primier cru Burgundy from the 2005 vintage. It will probably set you back $40-$60. If you don't like it, then you probably will never like Pinot Noir anyway and at least you know. Just because other people rave about it doesn't mean you have to like it.

Matt

Good point....you know I've never been to the Summerhill location.

alcid

TRIBE Member
AdRiaN said:

Thanks!
Stratus.

kennyboy

TRIBE Member
May classic collection in the mail today. There's a few interesting choices.

Seriously thinking of trying to get a bottle or two of 04 d'yquem.

AdRiaN

TRIBE Member
Thanks a lot for the recommendations everyone! I'll report back with any outstanding selections from my visit.

Big Cheese

TRIBE Member
gasper said:
A beautiful tasting room, but that's where it ends for me. Their $50 blends taste like $15 blends, IMO.

true, but you can hang your hat on their cab franc

prob best expression of the grape in ontario imho

gl*tch

TRIBE Member
i've only had the ontario cab franc in Icewine form. Magnotta Cab Franc Icewine is delicious!

who does it well in non-icewine?

Big Cheese

TRIBE Member
gl*tch said:
who does it well in non-icewine?

you know peller had a nice one that was cheap and was good with food but i mean for something that will jump out of the glass at you...

stratus, huff estates (if you can get a hold of one), angles gate, lenko (but i don't think he has anymore single bottles) fielding estates reserve is nice too