• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

the wine appreciation thread

futronic

TRIBE Member
Elderton Command Shiraz is from the Barossa and it's pretty damn good.

I'm generally not a fan of Aussie wines if they're massive fruit bombs. If there is structure and balance, no problems there.

-- Jay aka Fut

kennyboy

TRIBE Member
Everyone has a preference. I happen to like a lot of the Aussie shiraz for an easy drinking red, but to each their own.

No right or wrong answer on this one.

djglobalkiller

TRIBE Promoter
yeah some aussie stuff is good, but jay is right, they all seem to have a sense of fruit explosion, and thebalance seems a bit off. but if you are looking for a good fruity wine, then definately go for the aussie

i have been to barossa valley, its a great little region with lots of vineland.

and im a huge fan of teh reds... big huge cabs, super tuscans, and blood thick amarones do it good to me

as for whites, a fume blanc, and a good balanced chard are a good tool when chowing on le poulet, but i am a huge fan of verdichio one of the most bland wines out there... but i love its capacity do be drank in mass amounts

with very little suffering the next day

gasper

TRIBE Member
There was a $900 bottle of Latour in the Vintages booth at the Wine & Cheese show today. 1oz tasting was 50 tickets ($50). Fuck that. :p

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Aerius Zension

TRIBE Member
No one went to the Wine & Cheese Show at the Int'l Centre this weekend?

I completely forgot, but didn't really see any advertisements for it except in the Brampton Guardian yesterday.

gasper

TRIBE Member
Aerius Zension said:
No one went to the Wine & Cheese Show at the Int'l Centre this weekend?

I completely forgot, but didn't really see any advertisements for it except in the Brampton Guardian yesterday.

I went, and it wasn't very good. The venue was like a cave, the exhibitors not all that interesting, and the best stuff was poured skimpy (thanks, LCBO).

gasper

TRIBE Member
I generally try not to spend more than $30 on a bottle. $62 for the Duckhorn and $76 and $150 for the Caymus are just a little too far outside of my price comfort zone.

kennyboy

TRIBE Member
I agree it's a bump from my usual budget, but every now and then I like to grab a few bottles to put away for a special occasion. Haven't decided if I will pick any up, but it's tempting.

pauly j

TRIBE Member
kennyboy said:
New Vintages mag in the mail today. Caymus out in the next release, as well as Duckhorn.

Any fans out there?

you have vintages numbers for either of these? i've tried both in the past (though a good while back now) and would be interested in possibly checking both out again.

pauly j.

gasper

TRIBE Member
April 26th release:

992529 MERLOT 2005 (Duckhorn) 224x12bottle cases $62.90

711663 SPECIAL SELECTION CABERNET SAUVIGNON 2005 (Caymus) 280x6bottle cases $ 155.95

222877 CABERNET SAUVIGNON 2005 (Caymus) 252x12bottle cases $ 79.95

pauly j

TRIBE Member
gasper said:
April 26th release:

992529 MERLOT 2005 (Duckhorn) 224x12bottle cases $62.90

711663 SPECIAL SELECTION CABERNET SAUVIGNON 2005 (Caymus) 280x6bottle cases $ 155.95

222877 CABERNET SAUVIGNON 2005 (Caymus) 252x12bottle cases $ 79.95

nice. thanks.

pauly j

pauly j

TRIBE Member
thought i might as well share a recent score.

saxenburg guinea fowl 2004

just came out this past weekend...nice wide distribution, plus it's only $14.95 a bottle.

pauly j.

Tempo416

TRIBE Member
kennyboy said:
New Vintages mag in the mail today. Caymus out in the next release, as well as Duckhorn.

Any fans out there?

i'll usually spring for Duckhorn when I can get it. the merlot is a benchmark imho.

futronic

TRIBE Member
Caymus SS is too rich for my blood, and I find the regular Cab to be a disappointment for the price.

I'll be passing again.

For anyone looking forward to the April 26th release, here are my recommendations:

NV Nino Franco Prosecco di Valdobbiadene, $19 - awesome summer sparkler
2006 Fontanafredda Barbera Briccotondo, $16 - great daily drinker

I'll probably try a half bottle of the 2003 Frescobaldi Brunello di Montalcino Castelgiocondo at $30, but likely won't buy any for the cellar.

-- Jay aka Fut

Big Cheese

TRIBE Member
best selection of rhone style wines i've had outside of Avignon...

boekenhoutskloof

their choc-block is prob one of the cleanest tasting red's i've ever had, both on the nose and on the palette. i counted the finish almost at one and a half mins

just stoopid.

Aerius Zension

TRIBE Member
gasper said:
I went, and it wasn't very good. The venue was like a cave, the exhibitors not all that interesting, and the best stuff was poured skimpy (thanks, LCBO).

Just saw this now. Did you go with camera in hand? I usually have second thoughts about bringing the camera just cause leaves me with one hand to drink with.

futronic

TRIBE Member
Not I. I'm not a fan of the whole program.

Anyway, if people are looking for inexpensive tasty reds, check out the 2005 Chateau Pesquie Terrasses from the Rhone Valley - $15.95, and a real nice 70/30 blend of Grenache and Syrah. Also, the 2006 Fontanafredda Barbera d'Alba Briccotondo at $15.95 is great too. Juicy, good fruit and great acidity as is typical with Barbera. Awesome food wine.

-- Jay aka Fut

gl*tch

TRIBE Member
I bought tix for the Sip, Savour, and Learn: California Tasting.

I haven't really explored that region at all...except for zinfindel.

preacherman

TRIBE Member
nothing like a California Zin - my faves although pricey are the Sonoma Station Lyton Springs and the Kenwood Jack London '05 - Ravenswood as well.

I do like my Pinot Noir's - I often tell people its a great starting wine for those venturing into the reds - some faves Saintsbury, Domaine Serene, Eutde and Sanford

As for Caymus - we cracked a bottle of cab on Friday for my dad's 70th... Yum Yum Good; yes a bit pricey but they know what they're doing over there. Any of you try the CONUNDRUM - that is one fine glass of white - the '98 - '02 vintages were some of the best ever -

yeah I have a preference for California wines, I am from the states.

Tonight, I did pick up a bottle of Jackson Triggs Pinot Noir, while shopping at Sobey's - not bad.