• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

The "What the Hells The Difference" Thread

Polymorph

TRIBE Member
Y'know, weirdly enough, I'm watching "Reign", and as twee as it may be, it's still a War between the Catholics and the Protestants....

and, given that I was, unfortunately, raised Catholic, I still keep a wonderin'

a) What the fuck is the difference between a Catholic and a Protestant
B) what the fuck is the difference between a Sunni and/or Shia Muslim
C) What the fuck is the difference between all these Hindu tribes
d) What the fuck is the difference between a Swede and a Swiss girl
e) What the fuck is the difference between Norway and Iceland?
f) What the fuck is the difference between Australia and New Zealand
G) What is the difference between Austria and Germany?

........... Answers please

I'd genuinely like to know.... what is the difference , between all these things?

Polymorph

TRIBE Member
Ya I still look at my wife every now and then after watching some historical thing where this stuff comes up and we'd be like "wtf, they're all christians, why the hell did they hate each other so much?"
Yeah, Monday nights ep of "Reign" was incredibly effective (and imo, one of the most under rated shows on TV). Because, it's on the CW, and so people think it skews young (it does), but then again, both Mary Queen of Scots and Queen Elizabeth were, historically speaking, basically nobility-based child brides.

And one's Protestant, the other Catholic, and they're ferociously at each others throats. Seriously, to it's historical credit, every major decision being made right now (concerning alliances/territories/allegiances), all boils down to whether or not you're a Catholic or a Protestant.

And, in this ep, one major (and beloved) character got graphically beheaded.
Like, WTF. (oh, btw, not Mary. That comes next season).

....................and I'm just watching, and thinking, this is not about *religion*. It's only about Power and Territory and Control of Resources. Which is what I think about all this current real time power plays disquised as *religion*.

imo

praktik

TRIBE Member
....................and I'm just watching, and thinking, this is not about *religion*. It's only about Power and Territory and Control of Resources. Which is what I think about all this current real time power plays disquised as *religion*.

imo
Im with you on this, but it will get you into endless prioritization arguments with the Sam Harris Fan club who will tell you that you have the wrong things on the top of the list for "why conflicts with religious themes happen"