• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

The what are you reading thread?

stryker

TRIBE Member
Just picked this up yesterday...super excited!!!

Just finished this. I've seen him on TVO a few times. I thoroughly enjoyed the read :)

rentboy

TRIBE Member
It's interesting how much shit Hancock takes from scientists for his views.

I'm currently reading The Children of Men (P.D. James) and it's blowing me away. It packs far more depth than the movie. It also feels thematically prescient given the current refugee crisis.

praktik

TRIBE Member
It's interesting how much shit Hancock takes from scientists for his views.
I agree - the kooksphere is fascinating. His brand of pseudo-archeology can offer really stirring glimpses into what-might-be - of course a lot of its foundation is pattern-seeking/confirmation bias.

I blame my parents giving me a copy of Worlds in Collision too young for getting me into these kinds of writers..;) Of course now i enjoy them even more as a critical reader - though I was certainly less so when I was 16!

mandapanda

TRIBE Member
I'm reading this:

I like to read something from the Man Booker prize shortlist every year and this jumped out at me. I'm about 30 pages in and I've read a lot of reviews about how soul crushingly depressing it is, so now I'm slightly nervous!

Littlest Hobo

TRIBE Member
He is excellent on the Joe Rogan Experience podcast. Also check out Randall Carlson. Both he and Hancock appeared together on JRE recently. Fascinating stuff.

Just finished Childhood's End by Arthur C. Clarke (again). The recent SyFy miniseries did not do it justice.

Reading LOTR (again). Great book save the singing bits.

praktik

TRIBE Member
I really liked the LOTR. As the archetype upon which all other modern fantasy followed from it can't be beat.

But as I got older re-reads became less and less interesting - I really feel the depth of characterization and the exploration of more complex morality in modern fantasy leaves the classic feeling, well, a little TOO classic sometimes!

That said maybe I should pick em up again with an open mind.

After seeing the movies maybe the books will be interesting to read as I think my last read was in the late 90s, before the first movie anyway.

And I bet the books, aging as they have, still havent aged quite as quickly as the LOTR movies have, almost none of their lustre is left for me!

derek

TRIBE Member

re-reading.

alain writes from the perspectives of objects and gestures. It's a very intricately written novel

i've also be reading, again, jorge luis borges works

the new place has a tonne of light and i've been reading a lot more since moving