• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

The what are you reading thread?

mandapanda

TRIBE Member
Just finishing up the 2014 Man Booker prize winner - The Narrow Road to the Deep North.

"August, 1943. In the despair of a Japanese POW camp on the Thai-Burma death railway, Australian surgeon Dorrigo Evans is haunted by his love affair with his uncle's young wife two years earlier. Struggling to save the men under his command from starvation, from cholera, from beatings, he receives a letter that will change his life forever.

This savagely beautiful novel is a story about the many forms of love and death, of war and truth, as one man comes of age, prospers, only to discover all that he has lost."

It's very dark, especially in the descriptions of life as a POW. I have enjoyed it though. I think this is one of those novels I'll be processing for a while afterwards.

praktik

TRIBE Member

Reading this in final published form - but I have been best friends with the author since grade one, and so have seen parts of this book before. Super proud of my friend getting the Random House promo treatment in their annual stable of young new authors!!

Inspired by Blood Medallion and the style of Cormac McCarthy, Jackman takes us through the bloody course of gang of misfits taking advantage of chaos in the Civil war, to election rigging in Chicago and the "filling up" of the untamed west....

Definitely a brutal storyline, but done with a deft touch that doesn't dwell on the violence - leaving most of it "offscreen". Hoping this is the start of a long and successful career for my good friend!

Good review here in the Globe and Mail: It’s hard to find sympathy for Clifford Jackman’s unsavoury gang of characters in The Winter Family

Snuffy

TRIBE Member
Testing my new Kobo Aura. I don't think I ever want to use a paper book again. I don't even need a book light!

Reading a free Gutenberg book, "Pride and Prejudice". It's obnoxiously all about status. I'm so glad I live in 2015!

alexd

Administrator
Staff member

I hadn't read this book since I was a kid, but when saw it in Value Village a few weeks ago, I picked it up. Truly as awesome as ever, and especially amazing when you consider this book was written in the late 1700's.

It is totally the source of all pirate stylz like eyepatches, parrots on the shoulder, pirate lingo, etc.. This is where it all began.

Worth a read again, even if you don't self identify as a Treasure Hunter like I do :D

Metal Morphosis

TRIBE Member
just finished the Nightingale (Kristin Hannah).
very emotional read, pretty heavy on the doom & gloom. I hadn't previously read any WWII stuff on occupied France and how really fucking shitty it was. Good read.

next on the list Aziz Ansari's Modern Romance

Metal Morphosis

TRIBE Member
just finished the Nightingale (Kristin Hannah).
very emotional read, pretty heavy on the doom & gloom. I hadn't previously read any WWII stuff on occupied France and how really fucking shitty it was. Good read.

next on the list Aziz Ansari's Modern Romance
hated Aziz's book. didn't even finish it.

next on the list the Goldfinch

diablo

TRIBE Member
Just finishing up the 2014 Man Booker prize winner - The Narrow Road to the Deep North.

"August, 1943. In the despair of a Japanese POW camp on the Thai-Burma death railway, Australian surgeon Dorrigo Evans is haunted by his love affair with his uncle's young wife two years earlier. Struggling to save the men under his command from starvation, from cholera, from beatings, he receives a letter that will change his life forever.

This savagely beautiful novel is a story about the many forms of love and death, of war and truth, as one man comes of age, prospers, only to discover all that he has lost."

It's very dark, especially in the descriptions of life as a POW. I have enjoyed it though. I think this is one of those novels I'll be processing for a while afterwards.
Started on this one yesterday.