• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

The "What Are You Reading?" Thread

urbansoul

TRIBE Member
So I searched the GSF for a book thread and failed to find anything.
What is everyone reading?

I have just finished Paolo Coehlo's The Zahir. I would strongly recommend this book to any females looking for a good read. Zahir is an Islamic term for something that occupies your every thought.. it can be empowering or it can deteriorate you entirely. The book is about a man who's wife leaves him without a trace and his journey to discover what happened.
It sounds lame but it's an incredible read.

Other amazing books by Paolo Coehlo that I have read this year:
The Alchemist
Veronika Decides to Die
The Devil and Miss Prym
Eleven Minutes

I also recently read The Haunted by Chuck Palahniuk-twisted but very well written. Palaniuk is one of my favourite authors, he also wrote Fight Club which is typically much better than the film-so those who enjoyed it should definitely read the book.

Jenniflex

TRIBE Member
urbansoul said:
I also recently read The Haunted by Chuck Palahniuk-twisted but very well written. Palaniuk is one of my favourite authors, he also wrote Fight Club which is typically much better than the film-so those who enjoyed it should definitely read the book.
I'm a big fan too. Movie adaptation of 'Choke' comes to the theaters this September.

JESuX

TRIBE Member
i stole the bf's copy of "the world without us" and am really fascinated by it thus far. written by alan weisman, it's a non-fiction recount of what scientists predict the world will look like in the coming millennia if humans were to suddenly vanish from the planet.

i also just finished "nobody nowhere" by donna williams. a pretty unreal biography written by an australian woman who apparently overcame autism. pretty powerful and unbelievable in parts.

when i'm finished, i want to read "into the wild" by Jon Krakauer. loooved the movie.

JLV

TRIBE Member
Jenniflex said:
I'm a big fan too. Movie adaptation of 'Choke' comes to the theaters this September.
I just finished Choke! great book. it will definitely be interesting to see the directors take on it.

I'm currently reading a book called "Predictably Irrational" by Dan Ariely. extremely interesting. it's essentially a psychology based, business book. I highly recommend it.

Hawk Eye

TRIBE Member
Currently reading

Twilight by Stephenie Myers.. may sound lame but it's a good/fun read.
It's kind of addicting.. I can't put it down.

JESuX

TRIBE Member
okay, so i diverged from my plan a bit. i checked out a few books from the library and put 'the world without us' on hold for a while.

i just finished the butterfly plague by timothy findlay, and i hated it. there was some pretty writing in it, and he never fails to nail things in a metaphorical sense, but the ties between the several different storylines were just way too loose and not happening for me. i was disappointed because i'm actually a huge findlay fan, and loved "pilgrim" and "the last of the crazy people". oh well. you win some, you lose some.

now i'm onto "lady oracle" by margaret atwood. i'm only 40 pages in thus far, but already i've latched onto the story and find myself hooked. can't wait to report back when i'm done!

deca.dance

TRIBE Member
Did you read.like Not Wanted on the Voyage, JESuX?

I misplaced that at someones place about a year ago.. le sigh.

JESuX

TRIBE Member
haven't read it yet... i think i'm going to leave findlay and his stupid closeted homo erotic namby pambyisms alone for a little while yet.

lol.

bArHo

TRIBE Member
Hawk Eye said:
Currently reading

Twilight by Stephenie Myers.. may sound lame but it's a good/fun read.
It's kind of addicting.. I can't put it down.
my friend is reading that and she's insisting that I read it as well

just bought these two numbers:

I wanted to also buy the new Naomi Klein book 'The Shock Doctrine' but I'll save that for when I get through these three first

deca.dance

TRIBE Member
I wouldn't mind checkout out What is the What

bought a three box book collection (one including a Dave Eggers) where all the stories are under 150 words. It is great for in the park reading -
Some storied being only 3 sentances.

madnezz

TRIBE Member
Can we turn this into a self-help only book thread?

Anyone interested in all other books go to the general forum.